Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum Metaldog99.:wave:
Thank you for your post.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally got the rear door speakers installed. Crutchfield had to send me different adapters.

The change in sound is awesome.

But, here's the weird thing. The voice command prompt (after you hit the voice button on the steering wheel, and it says "please say a command") is only playing from the center dash speaker. Maybe it always did, and I just didn't realize it, but it's now VERY distinct, and obviously coming only from that speaker. Is that the norm?

My DSR1 has 2 unused outputs, one for the front center speaker and one for the rear center speaker, so I picked up a Rockford Fosgate 2-channel amp to add those two outputs to the party. Now the problem is where to put the amp. I am thinking under the front passenger seat but there is a vent there that will be be blowing hot or cold air at all times. The amp will sit under it but the air will be hitting it pretty hard. Has anyone used that position before? Any problems with folks in the back seat kicking it?

Thanks in advance.

My DSR1 has 2 unused outputs, one for the front center speaker and one for the rear center speaker, so I picked up a Rockford Fosgate 2-channel amp to add those two outputs to the party. Now the problem is where to put the amp. I am thinking under the front passenger seat but there is a vent there that will be be blowing hot or cold air at all times. The amp will sit under it but the air will be hitting it pretty hard. Has anyone used that position before? Any problems with folks in the back seat kicking it?

Thanks in advance.
In my 17 XLT which did not come from factory with a subwoofer, I had Tunes n Tint in Lakeland, FL change all the door speakers to Rockford Fosgate & a Pioneer subwoofer installed under the driver's seat. Yes, there is a heat duct there. The subwoofer, when turned sideways is clear of this air duct. Also, no one sitting in the back seat has kicked or touched it yet. Also, all positions of the driver's seat clear the top of the subwoofer.

In my 17 XLT which did not come from factory with a subwoofer, I had Tunes n Tint in Lakeland, FL change all the door speakers to Rockford Fosgate & a Pioneer subwoofer installed under the driver's seat. Yes, there is a heat duct there. The subwoofer, when turned sideways is clear of this air duct. Also, no one sitting in the back seat has kicked or touched it yet. Also, all positions of the driver's seat clear the top of the subwoofer.
Thank you for the reply but I am talking about an amp that is too wide to clear the air duct, so it will have to sit right under it, being subjected to the heat or cold that will be blowing out of it. I did see someone install an amp there on Youtube so I guess its okay. I really would like to install both amps under the front seats, that will give me my 3rd row seats back.

Thank you for the reply but I am talking about an amp that is too wide to clear the air duct, so it will have to sit right under it, being subjected to the heat or cold that will be blowing out of it. I did see someone install an amp there on Youtube so I guess its okay. I really would like to install both amps under the front seats, that will give me my 3rd row seats back.

Why not under the 2nd row, in the middle, where that black plastic cap is? Or under the 3rd row, forward of the spare tire, or even next to it? I don't know how big they are, but that seems like a good unused space.

Why not under the 2nd row, in the middle, where that black plastic cap is? Or under the 3rd row, forward of the spare tire, or even next to it? I don't know how big they are, but that seems like a good unused space.
2nd row has absolutely no clearance for any kind of amp, and could possibly start a fire. I think its like 2 inches or something like that. Even if it fit, no one could get into the a 3rd row seat without stepping on the amp. I wish I could install an amp under the 3rd row but again, no clearance with all that motorized stuff going on there unless you want to just give up your trunk or load groceries on top of amps. The spare tire well has lots of room but you would have to give up your spare tire.

2nd row has absolutely no clearance for any kind of amp, and could possibly start a fire. I think its like 2 inches or something like that. Even if it fit, no one could get into the a 3rd row seat without stepping on the amp. I wish I could install an amp under the 3rd row but again, no clearance with all that motorized stuff going on there unless you want to just give up your trunk or load groceries on top of amps. The spare tire well has lots of room but you would have to give up your spare tire.

Depending on the size of the amp, there is dead space behind the side plastic trim panels in the rear, around the rear wheel wells.

Depending on the size of the amp, there is dead space behind the side plastic trim panels in the rear, around the rear wheel wells.
Good point. I wish there was a way to tell exactly what can fit back here. I have the tiny DSR-1 audio processor taking the place of the old Sony amp. If there is enough room for a 13-1/4"W x 2"H x 7-3/8"D amp on the other side, that would go pretty far in cleaning up this mess.

You know, nevermind. These amps have controls that may need occasional adjustment. Front seats held down with Velcro is probably my best bet.

Hello All,

I want to thank everyone for all the great info. I read everything I could find before starting my project to upgrade the stereo. While I respect everyone's opinion regarding what their ideal system would be, I had my own criteria:

- Retain spare tire
- Make system invisible when not in use
- No loss of Ford Sync functionality
- ROCKIN' GOOD SOUND!

Since my Explorer is my daily driver, I have little to no use for the third seat position, but wanted to keep the power-fold third row seats. My option was to remove the third row seat backs and create my own "single seat back" for mounting the equipment. Real estate was a challenge, as was cable movement when stowing the system. I ran 1/0 pos & neg cable directly to the battery, which will help to eliminate ground loop noise. Also, all speaker wire was replaced with minimum 12 ga. (subs are 10 ga.) and all speakers were replaced with Focal. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding my system and how I got around some hard spots.

If someone can tell me how to upload a photo or two, I'll show what I did...

Y
If someone can tell me how to upload a photo or two, I'll show what I did...
You can either pay for a premium membership or upload your photo to a place like imageshack and hotlink it here

.......If someone can tell me how to upload a photo or two, I'll show what I did...
An Elite membership is $20/year but there is usually a 'Black Friday' special that runs for a week or so when you can get 2 years for the price of 1. That membership allows for posting directly from your device and unlike other methods, the pictures are stored on the Forum's servers. Many existing photos disappeared when Photobucket changed its policy.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?account/upgrades

Peter

IMG_20180819_104526009.jpg
O.K. - the photo above shows the system (seat) in the raised position.

IMG_20180819_173938655_HDR.jpg

And in the stowed position.

Can I post a video as well?
Yes, videos may be posted. Thank you for upgrading to the Elite membership and supporting the Forum that way.

Peter

I'm still slightly traumatized by awesome job EJohnson1 did but I installed my two amps under the front seats and pushed them back as far as they could go, now I am wondering how vulnerable they are to getting kicked by people sitting in the back seats.

IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0124.jpg

So I got a 12 x 12 piece of 1/4" Plexiglas and folded it so it would fit over the amp, like this:

IMG_0193.jpg

Now I am wondering if this would present a heat issue. I felt the big amp after a 30 minute drive and it was warm but not hot. I asked the guy at Crutchfield and he said yes, but I am thinking that was just a CYA type answer from 1st level support. How about if I came up with a way to raise it a half inch off the amp? Or does it matter at all?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have either the Husky or WeatherTech liners for the 2nd row? I'd be concerned about Winter time passengers with snow/slush on their boots.

Peter

Do you have either the Husky or WeatherTech liners for the 2nd row? I'd be concerned about Winter time passengers with snow/slush on their boots.

Peter
Nah, just regular floor mats. From YouTube videos, it seems like under the driver-side seat is a really popular place to put an amp without affecting seating or losing your spare. Seems to me you would need a heck of a lot of slush back there to flood the amp, especially with the Plexiglas cover.

I admire your nice clean install but your right about the connections getting in contact with rear seat passengers. I guess if you make a shield your other concern is how is that going to allow heat dissipation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an observation, but on my 17 XLT, there is under the front seats heat ducting. Does the Limited not have this or do you never get Cold In Philly - LOL.

Also, if you do not use the 3rd row seating, why not put those amps directly aft of the 2nd row seating.

Back