Explorer EV Coming | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer EV Coming

there's a yt creator from AU follows ev problems. a Canada city foolishly bought a 1.8 million dollar fire truck about 500k more than ice even so thats one crazy expensive rig and while the defect could be any .its battery complicated repair. but its got a 2 hr run if i heard right so if fire requires more time pumping a heavy duty tow rig will be needed and a second truck to finish fighting the fire. england is buying electric vans converting them to ambulances but spending billions and they need 2x as many because ambulances make many runs or long distances
and one big problem with even diesel ambulances lights, radios, and medical equipment electric power has always been short and thats with either large alternators or sometimes 2 alternators so with all gear needed draining the ev battery will diesel tow rigs have to be on call when dead battery or will ihs just ration call so when gran breaks her hip she can wait till morning meanwhile china still putting coal plants online every 2 weeks for the foreseeable future to charge there torches aka china flammable ev and busses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just yesterday a report about shortage of mechanics who can work on the they do require service, and service centers have to be large because rules or practice don't allow them to be parked next to each other in case of fire. tow yards also after wrecks cannot be parked near another car or building or left on flatbeds and fl found so many when the hurricane salt water flooded them many fires occurred since salt water is a great conductor

I already know that if and when I get an electric it will be parked and charged outside, away from the house. While doing electric upgrades to my detached shop, I had a 50 amp outlet installed on the block wall seperating the properties.

EVs are receiving negative pressure from a lot of directions. They are not nearly as environmentally friendly as they have been portrayed. They are a fire hazard and will likely get more dangerous as they age, receive road damage etc. They are getting hella expensive to insure due to a growing tendency for them being totaled for relatively minor damage. I wouldn't be surprised if homeowners insurance will increase if an EV is in the garage or near a structure. A nick in the battery shield can get them totaled. Any frame or other damage gets them totaled because of how they are built. The charging situation is not keeping up with increasing demand. Especially when taking long trips. The current state of the electrical grid is woefully inadequate to correct this problem. Low or high temperatures reduces range substantially due to reduced battery efficiency and greater battery drain due to heating/AC for the cabin loading the battery. There are probably a few more issues that I am forgetting.

All these things are now coming to light and have been hidden by manufacturers, our government and the media. There are several studies coming out showing ICE vehicles are considerably more environmentally friendly than EVs. Also, recently, there have been discoveries of vast amounts of hydrogen gas underground which will likely tilt the balance from EVs to hydrogen engines and/or fuel cells if reserve estimates are correct. Moving to hydrogen powered vehicles would eliminate all the environmental damage done from mining rare earth metals needed for batteries. Hydrogen also eliminates the problems of dealing with dead battery packs. I think there are good odds that EVs will not be the choice to replace ICE engines. What might happen is IC engines will burn environmentally friendly fuel (i.e. hydrogen) until fuel cells ultimately replaces them.

Nothing is hidden. All the info is out there, whether or not people choose to educate themselves is another matter altogether.

I am not looking to buy an EV to save the world. I want an EV to save money. Along with an EV will come solar panels. I can't refine gasoline at home, but I sure can produce electricity. When the grid goes down and gas stations are closed due to a hacker taking down our infrastructure, it will be the electrics that are charged at homes with solar that will be on the road.

Nothing is hidden. All the info is out there, whether or not people choose to educate themselves is another matter altogether.

I am not looking to buy an EV to save the world. I want an EV to save money. Along with an EV will come solar panels. I can't refine gasoline at home, but I sure can produce electricity. When the grid goes down and gas stations are closed due to a hacker taking down our infrastructure, it will be the electrics that are charged at homes with solar that will be on the road.
I am not criticizing anyone that owns an EV or wants to buy one. I might pick up one for cheap in a couple of years to use as a short range vehicle. I think that people have a right to be properly informed about what they are buying into. The problem these days is most people believe what the media tells them. EVs have been hyped to be the replacement for ICE vehicles. The current occupants of the executive branch are mandating EVs to be 50% of vehicles sold by 2030 which is insane. All the issues with them that are coming out now have been there all along. The deficiencies of EVs have not been covered truthfully by the media and they are finally coming clean because they have no choice but to tell the truth now. The Ford Lightning is a perfect example of an EV whose capabilities were way over hyped. Now that the truth about them is out, Ford can't move them off the dealer's lots. There are a huge number of EV owners whose vehicles have depreciated 30%-50+% in just one or two years. Their loans are upside down so much that they won't get to the break even point for many years.

I reason I want an EV is to fully utilize the solar system that will be installed with the new house we will be building in a few years. The one thing to keep in mind is that an EV can be hacked just as easy as the grid or a gas station. Probably much easier. They are required to be connected to the internet to function. At some point, if not already, the government will be able force EV makers to brick your car, limit the geographical area you can travel, keep you from charging at any source (even off grid solar), track you everywhere you go, etc. EV drivers are more vulnerable to losing control of their vehicle to others than any other current mode of personal transportation. Think about it. With the advent of auto driving and GPS an EV can be instructed to run you off the road, into oncoming traffic, off a cliff, into a ravine etc. whenever and wherever someone in power desires. At this point, I am becoming envious of the Amish communities. :)

For us it would be a short run commuter. They are building a new high school about 2 miles from us and that's where my wife will be working. Perfect for an electric, and awful for an ICE engine since it would not have time to get to full temperature before being shut down every day.

Regarding being connected, find the transciever in the vehicle and disable it.

I read an article within the past few days describing how some automanufacturers are handing driving data from connected cars over to insurance companies. It's already happening with ICE vehicles. Onstar has had the ability to shut down their vehicles, and listen to conversations within, for a couple decades now.

Brave new world.

there's a yt creator from AU follows ev problems. a Canada city foolishly bought a 1.8 million dollar fire truck about 500k more than ice even so thats one crazy expensive rig and while the defect could be any .its battery complicated repair. but its got a 2 hr run if i heard right so if fire requires more time pumping a heavy duty tow rig will be needed and a second truck to finish fighting the fire. england is buying electric vans converting them to ambulances but spending billions and they need 2x as many because ambulances make many runs or long distances
and one big problem with even diesel ambulances lights, radios, and medical equipment electric power has always been short and thats with either large alternators or sometimes 2 alternators so with all gear needed draining the ev battery will diesel tow rigs have to be on call when dead battery or will ihs just ration call so when gran breaks her hip she can wait till morning meanwhile china still putting coal plants online every 2 weeks for the foreseeable future to charge there torches aka china flammable ev and busses

Vancouver Fire Department did buy the E-Fire Truck, against all the recommendations from the group of front line staff who went to review and test. Did I mention the VFD Chief is a woke liberal female? But here is the best part, its charged by a diesel generator. It's also been out of service more hours then its been operational. Go Woke Go Broke. Vancouver is the Seattle of Canada. Also I was told at the end of the day its pencilled out at double the $$$$ compared to an ICS Fire Truck.

For us it would be a short run commuter. They are building a new high school about 2 miles from us and that's where my wife will be working. Perfect for an electric, and awful for an ICE engine since it would not have time to get to full temperature before being shut down every day.

Regarding being connected, find the transciever in the vehicle and disable it.
I figured newer EVs would eventually have to "phone home" at some point to keep running. For our use case, the EV would be always charged at home. Another perk with an EV is some can be used as a battery bank for a solar system.
I read an article within the past few days describing how some automanufacturers are handing driving data from connected cars over to insurance companies. It's already happening with ICE vehicles. Onstar has had the ability to shut down their vehicles, and listen to conversations within, for a couple decades now.

Brave new world.
I don't plan on getting rid of my Mountaineer when I buy a connected vehicle. The thing that really scares me is moving to digital currency. If this happens, we are all screwed.

I'll put my $.02 in. My next vehicle when I sell my 22 ST will be an EV. I've got 4 more years left on the loan then I'll be switching the wife over. We put 6k miles on it in a year. An EV makes sense for her since the furthest she will go in a day is 100 miles but more than likely no more than about 15 miles between 4 drive cycles. An EV makes perfect sense for local daily commuting as the repair and fuel cost will be very minimal. Hopefully the technology and prices will be more in line by then.

I still won't get rid of my raptor that gets 12mpg nor will I ever part with my old 7.3 F250. I'll wait till the government offers me 50k each to crush to get the gas burners off the road in the year 2050.

I own an auto repair shop so I've got to pay attention to the future. I'd like to say ev's aren't coming but they are and coming fast. Personally I think we will always have ICE hybrids but other fuel sources like hydrogen will come into play. I feel toyota will be the first in US with hydrogen powered consumer vehicles. We got about 20 more years of these gas burners till they start going extinct. I'll be close to 60 by then so hopefully my business can survive until then.

My extra thoughts: I think every US mail truck that travels under 100 miles daily should be an EV. I also think the same for every low speed delivery truck. Those can charge at night, run all day. Then public transportation. My one concern is how will we electrify aircrafts? Those account for more than double the pollution that us automobiles make so its like fighting an environmental fire while using a small water hose on 30% of it......

Back