• Register Today It's free!

Explorer heated memory seats

Jco5

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
I have a gen 3 Ford Taurus and would like to know can I add the seat track and motor to my car. I want to add memory seats to my car and havig heated seats is a plus. I would like to know know can I add a 00 seat track motor and all the accesories to install memory seats in my car.

Also if i find seats that i want how can I mve the seats so I can get to all the bolts.
I have 18v batterys from drill and etc and would like to know how can I movr the seats. Seats were from a 98 to 00 explorer v8 eddie baurer and would like to know how to move them.

Welcome. The memory seat function requires special memory seat motors, besides the seat track which the motors go into. There is a module, usually under that seat track, plus the switch, and a neutral safety circuit signal, used by the module. It needs power and ground of course, so three circuit wires plus those going to the switch.

Many Ford seats will swap between different model seat tracks, four bolts in a somewhat common bolt pattern.

You can move power seats using a cordless tool battery, I've used a C3 19.2 volt battery before. I cut one power seat connector from a car I got the seats from, the car side with several inches of wires. I got that with the seat so I can use it for most of the older Ford seats. You can easily probe the wires with your power source, and figure out what two wires run the seat up, and forward etc. That's the first step, then the four bolts are not hard at all.

I learned most of this from my 93 Limited and 99 Limited that I rewired using the old 93 seats and body. I've got a 9 Mark VII that never came with memory seats. But knowing what it takes, I think I can retrofit the system. The trick will be to modify a spare Mark VII seat track, merging the "feet" of it onto an Explorer seat track. If I can get that done right, then the seat track will bolt into my Lincoln, and I have the other parts to make it work. Lincoln even built a mount into the door panel for the memory seat switch, with a cover emblem over the hole, next to the seat controls. So I got the right switch for my car(88-94 Continental), that goes right into my door panel trim piece.

For your Taurus, you'll have to improvise for the switch mounting, and the seat track deal. The seat track motors are critical, you have to use a seat track which take those motors, and then fit the seat track to the car. So what other models does the Taurus share seat tracks with?

Thanks for the help. Sorry it took me so long to reply back.

I am not sure if the seat will fit in the Taurus butI am going to my best to modify and fit them in. When I was in the junkyard last Sunday I noticed the seats had two plugs in the rear a smaller plug with 2 wires and a larger plug with about 6 wires. The back end of the 2 wire plug connector looks like it was wired to the 6 wire connector. I was trying not to damage the connects or the seat track and motor. I know one of the wires to the 2 wire plug was white and the other wire was a stripped wire I don't remember the color.
So are these the positive and ground wire from the seat to move it back and forth. Does it matter if l put the + side of the battey to the white wire and the - to the stripped wire. Trying not to ruin a cordless battery or blow the seat motors and switch.

Also do you have pics or the part numbers of the others parts need to make the memory seat work. When I was in the truc kthe door panels were already remove and wiring cut and how to tell the seat is a memory.

I believe the seat was heated because of the switch on the side of the seat but not sure if it was a memory seat.

I couldn't tell from your first post if you had any of the memory seat parts, or if the Eddie Bauer mentioned was for the seat you need, or the memory seat function.

The Explorer Limited from 93-01 is the only model of the 1st and 2nd gen trucks that had the memory seat. You can use some parts from other vehicles like Lincolns that may have the memory seats etc, but only the Explorer seat track and motors will interchange with each other. You can use the memory seat motors(set of three(one assembly)), in any Explorer seat track from about 1998-01, left or right.

The seats will swap left to right except for the outer reclining mechanism and control trim pieces.

It sounds like you don't have any memory seat parts yet. I suggest hunting the 98-01 Explorer Limiteds, and get at least the seat track complete with the module etc, underneath it, plus as much of the wiring as you can get while there. The memory seat switch is in the top edge of the door panel, and the six wires from that go straight to the seat, so go after the wiring from the seat to the door jamb, and the six wires in the door are wrapped together until they get to the jamb area. So you don't have to gut all of the door wires, just those six. You could make those up with generic wires, but it'd be better if you used the OEM stuff for ease of getting the routing correct.

The Limited seats have about 10-11 wires going to them, normal power seats will have two or four, maybe five if it has the heat function(one blue/white power wire). All of the Ford seats will have a connector underneath with the same six wires for the motors, two for each of the three. The memory seat motors have a special position sensor built into them, which has it's own tiny wire(about four) connector. You will want to get the larger wire connector of the memory seat, the one at the rear that comes out of the rug below. You'll want as much of that as possible, it goes all the way to the left door jamb. The main power/ground and two other wires go forward into the dash. Only one of those is trouble, it will be tiny and going to the GEM module, which is just for the Neutral Safety switch circuit, which all cars have somewhere. You'll have to tap those four wires into the existing car circuits(P/G/P/NS).

Back