explorer is dead will not turn over | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer is dead will not turn over

regina

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
well to start we have a for explorer 1991 manual transmission and we replaced the silinoid the starter and also the battery and (cable connectors first thing replaced) also checked the fuses because the thing just dont want to turn over. when we first started we replaced the silinoid and then it would turn over but not start when we did a screw driver to silinoid and so we changed the starter thinking it was that then we got it to start with a jump to the battery and it started but was not charging and so we replaced the battery and now the thing will not start at all not even with a jump its like we burned something out because it clicks and thats it. we checked fuses and they look ok, we were told that there is a reset on the clutch and so we looked for that and are not able to find this, does anyone have any suggestions please or directions to how to find this switch that we cant seem to find. we are out of ideas on what to do next. thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like your battery is dead agian. an you have a bad alternator , are you just jumping the battery or do you have a charger on it pluged into the wall ?? switch on trans is just a neutral safety an that doesnt seem to me to be your problem its on the passengers side as you slide under trk should be have two wires an almost to the top side of the trans comes off with a socket or an open wrench

still not turning over

we already went through changing the battery and it is still not even clicking now and we do have spark and battery was being jumped with another car with bad battery and we got it running but battery was low and would not start explorer without a jump so that is why we got a new battery and it was working until we went to change it to a new battery and the new battery has charge and would not turn over even with new battery and even with a jump, it is like something went bad when we changed the battery and it isnt even clicking now or not even able to turn it over with a screw driver on silinoid, could silinoid or starter be bad even tho we just got new of both parts? even tho we did start it with the new parts on it up until we changed battery.

wires all look fine on the battery, is there some wire that goes to the silinoid that could have burned out that could make it not start, someone was saying that this may have happened and if so what exactly are they talking about, thank you for all the help so far.

When the door is open, and they key is in the ignition, is there a chime, lights on? Also, any noises at all when you turn the key? thanks!

yes all of that is working and there is no noise at all when turning the key, please any suggestions are appreciated, thank you.

Okay, so far:
1Battery is good.
2Power is getting to the vehicle.
3Internal fuses are good.
4External fuses are good.
5Alternator is good.
6Spark plugs are good.
7Fuel pump is good - this is the one that for me, the power came on in the cabin, but the vehicle made no sound whatsoever.
8You have had the codes read/pulled.

thanks all have decided to take it to a shop since we cant seem to figure what the issue is, if i had more time maybe we could fix but since i need this thing for work its going in the morning. thank you for trying.

How'd it go?

What turned out to be the problem?

Bets are either a bad battery cable or a blown fusible link...The battery cable being bad is a common problem in 1st gen Explorers. They will look fine but have massive internal corrosion. Usually the symptoms are everything works fine, but it won't start unless you jumper from the battery to the starter.

My new batt died the other day, I fell apart. There was no reason for it to fail, so I assumed the worst - but ran (in the TC) and bought another one. And worse, I had just started it, left the garage to back it in, and that was it... today, the alt will be checked just in case. Panic can set in when the vehicle doesn't start...

well here it is my friend decided to sell the explorer for 100 dollars to a junk yard and go get a car because she was tired of the hassel and she said the thing was slowly falling apart anyways and needed to get back n forth to work and to her bf and family homes. I really did have to agree with her because the dog she has did chew the heck out of the doors and she practicly let the dog live in that truck at one time, and really did need something a little nicer to drive so she got an alero for now until she can find something she wants to buy n make payments on. Runs ok and no chewed doors. Am sure she will go back to an explorer eventually because she really did not want to give up but it needed to retire. Anyways thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Back