Explorer off to junkyard-anything I should take off/out prior to final resting place? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer off to junkyard-anything I should take off/out prior to final resting place?

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
My 1995 Explorer is at end of life with 189k miles. Rust has taken its toll and has done enough to brake lines, body, exhaust, and other parts that it is time to retire this ride.

I will say I did get the most out of this 2WD hauler. No major repairs between 119-189K. Intake manifold failed a few months ago, which I replaced, but I could see the amount of rust on everything would be ending this vehicle's usability.

I am planning on swapping the battery (this is the best part of the car), removing radio, center caps, tow bar, and some other smaill misc. stuff. Is there anything else I should take? (dont say airbags, that aint happening).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you planning on getting another explorer of the same generation? if you have nice floormats dont forget those! i remember my sisters mustang getting wrecked, i made sure to take her floormats and aftermarket speakers and deck. knobs and visors would be cool too. spare tire and jack? im just throwing stuff out there.

It depends on how much space you have to store things. If you have the space I would say anything that is not rusty or broken:)

If you have space to store things gut the entire interior (knobs, bezels, seats, panels, window motors, etc.), jack, any exterior lighting that is in good condition, and I think that's it.

A lot of the stuff you can toss up on ebay or the F/S area on this site and recoup some $$$.

Put an ad here and on your local craigslist to part it out if you can spare the space. Its not too difficult to pull in close to a grand over a few weeks. Wheels/tires in reasonable shape will usually get $200 a set. Depending on condition the bumpers/hitch and rear end usually go fairly quick. So will many of the electronics like door lock actuators. Engine, trans, and underhood components take longer to move simply because someone needs to pull them. Stick to local pick-up and u-pull. Once the major stuff is gone, or you dont feel like messing with it any more, call the yard to haul away what is left on a flatbed (it does not have to have tires for them to take it). They may not pay you much for whats left, but you will certainly get more $ out of the truck and help keep other trucks on the road.

What did I take?

I took out the new battery, put back in a shot one. Floor mats, Radio, wheel caps, gas (there was 10 gallons in there!) and that was it. The junkyard is giving me $425 if all glass, panels, and tires are on it, so that is fair. I was hoping to get another 1995-2001 explorer prior to junking. There is so much wrong with this truck that it makes sense to turn it into a donor.

Anyone in Chicagoland need a 6 month old Duralast Battery, Radio, or wheel covers?

I will be listing on here shortly.

interior

It was blue, now dirty and blue cloth, with a smell of grass and dirt.

Back