Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Police Interceptor

2013.jpg

Have not followed the police stuff closely, but curious, is that New Haven patrol car a 3.5 Ecoboost where they just don't put the Sport grill on, but rather paint the standard one black? I just read the post how they don't come with the 8" MFT even as an option. What are the seats? Cloth or leather? What other options are not available? The mirrors are a different flat back. BLIS an option? Just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to the Modifiers Guide on the Ford Fleet Website to see correct mounting.

If your Sport has Adaptive Cruise Control I'm not sure if the Setina Pushbar blocks the signal sending unit.

There appears to be another member running a Setina pushbar on a '11 XLT. My curiosity lies on how the interceptor differs from the sport mechanically. There are an aweful lot of radiators and intercoolers and such behind the Sport front bumper if the bar happens to fit around those I would certainly do it.

2013.jpg

Have not followed the police stuff closely, but curious, is that New Haven patrol car a 3.5 Ecoboost where they just don't put the Sport grill on, but rather paint the standard one black? I just read the post how they don't come with the 8" MFT even as an option. What are the seats? Cloth or leather? What other options are not available? The mirrors are a different flat back. BLIS an option? Just curious.

The Ford Interceptors that the New Haven Police Department purchased have the 3.7 engines. We don't have any Interceptors equipped with the ecoboost.

There appears to be another member running a Setina pushbar on a '11 XLT. My curiosity lies on how the interceptor differs from the sport mechanically. There are an aweful lot of radiators and intercoolers and such behind the Sport front bumper if the bar happens to fit around those I would certainly do it.

The Setina push bumper fits on the Sport perfectly, I have first hand knowledge of it being done. Only the lower grill needs 2 of the plastic slots removed for the mounting tabs. I can upload pics later this week if needed.

Suspension Interceptor

What if any difference is there between the suspension on the Interceptor and on the Sport?

Are there any beefier sway bars front and back? Want to improve handling on my 2014 Sport.

If so what are the part numbers?

thanks,

geezerglide

What if any difference is there between the suspension on the Interceptor and on the Sport?

Are there any beefier sway bars front and back? Want to improve handling on my 2014 Sport.

If so what are the part numbers?

thanks,

geezerglide

Hardware is same, its all in the EPAS, and AWD programming that makes it Pursuit capable.

The Setina push bumper fits on the Sport perfectly, I have first hand knowledge of it being done. Only the lower grill needs 2 of the plastic slots removed for the mounting tabs. I can upload pics later this week if needed.

There appear to be multiple push bars available for the explorer for Setina, do you happen to recall which I'll need?

Aluminum of steel? Assume they are both powdercoated black?

That is up to you, aluminum is a little lighter but the steel is stronger if you're going to be using it to push stuff.

That is up to you, aluminum is a little lighter but the steel is stronger if you're going to be using it to push stuff.

That's what I figured.
I'll take the plunge on this I guess, I hope you're right! Haha

Hardware is same, its all in the EPAS, and AWD programming that makes it Pursuit capable.

sgt1411,

Thanks for the reply, and as mentioned earlier the EPAS and AWD programming is not available or accessible to non Interceptor units.

Have you had any experience or knowledge of any aftermarket shocks suspension manufacturers who may be coming out with those components? I checked with Bilstein and KYB and so far nothing.

geezerglide

sgt1411,

Thanks for the reply, and as mentioned earlier the EPAS and AWD programming is not available or accessible to non Interceptor units.

Have you had any experience or knowledge of any aftermarket shocks suspension manufacturers who may be coming out with those components? I checked with Bilstein and KYB and so far nothing.

geezerglide

I have no experience at all with aftermarket suspension components. After seeing first hand the engineering that Ford puts into its components I couldn't see anyone in the aftermarket world having the money to do the same.

Wasn't there a thread in the Modified Section where someone had found high performance aftermarket struts for the Explorer?

I'm curious, what is different? If all the hardware/suspension "hard" parts are the same between civilian Sport/Interceptor, then couldn't someone just swap in the Interceptor electronics (not flashing the "civilian" computer, but physically swap it for the Interceptor "brain")?

What is actually different, in terms of practical performance difference? How do they function differently?

Can a civilian order a new Interceptor, or does the public have to wait for your worn out hand me downs to be auctioned off? Can the public purchase replacement parts specific to the Interceptor?

I'm curious, what is different? If all the hardware/suspension "hard" parts are the same between civilian Sport/Interceptor, then couldn't someone just swap in the Interceptor electronics (not flashing the "civilian" computer, but physically swap it for the Interceptor "brain")?

What is actually different, in terms of practical performance difference? How do they function differently?

Can a civilian order a new Interceptor, or does the public have to wait for your worn out hand me downs to be auctioned off? Can the public purchase replacement parts specific to the Interceptor?

Riley can probably explain it better than I can but my knowledge is the AWD engineers set different thresholds for severe "Pursuit" or "hard go hard stop" repetitious style driving that the citizen isn't likely to do all the time. The shift points are much different with the system holding the lowest gear given the speed/RPM at the time.

The thresholds for when the RSC and TMS step in to help are different for police than retail.

For example the SPORT and Utility share common brake hardware but the pad composition is slightly different. The SPORT is a little more for quiet and police is for heat.

Police had silicone piston seals and Sport had rubber then they converted everything to silicone for heat in 2013MY

I think you buy Interceptors through dealers & Government Account Managers (GAMs) but I never heard of a citizen getting one. Dont know if there are rules, maybe somebody else knows.

I drove one for the second time about 2 weeks ago. The transmission lag was a real pain in the behind during EVOC. Still like it better than the charger. I was able to cook the brakes on the charger but not the explorer.

like the explorer better then the charger in evoc? interesting.

The transmission lag was a bother but the brakes on the charger turned blue after several hard laps. The explorer held up very well. The charger goes like hell in a straight line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be curious too, other than Ebay I'm not sure how people are getting these. I had to jump through serious hoops to get mine, including my credentials and a letter from my captain. And mine was a demo at a dealership already, I tried for 3 months to order one and there was no way in sam hell it was going to happen.

Back