• Register Today It's free!

explorer radiator help

Blkwdw

Reaction score
City, State
Cowra, NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited
Hey all on a trip today from cowra to bathurst the car suddenly overheated. All i can trace it down to is a blown radiator. luckily i had the camper trailer on the back as i needed to drop of a motorbike i sold on the way and had some spare water in the trailer i could refill it with. One refilled and back up to pressure i could see the water leaking from in front of the fan somewhere. We got it home after stopping a few times to top it back up. I'm hoping i havnt damaged the engine.

So we got onto our local radiator place natrad and for a price on a new radiator. think it was bout $500 or bit less then $800 fitted. He did tell the mrs there difficult to replace as you need other parts as well as the radiator is this true? Surely they couldnt be harder then your average car radiator? Also would it be worthwhile uprgrading to a bigger radiator while i'm at it.

Oh its a 2003 v8 limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you see the leak on the radiator yourself?

The intake manifold on the V8 has a coolant crossover in the front, right behind the alternator that is plastic on some models. Those tend to heat up, crack and leak. I would check that first. It could be a leak in the gasket between the manifold and your cylinder head where that coolant flows. They make one with an aluminum crossover now... That seems like a much more likely (and cheaper) option than your radiator being bad.

Can you see the leak on the radiator yourself?

The intake manifold on the V8 has a coolant crossover in the front, right behind the alternator that is plastic on some models. Those tend to heat up, crack and leak. I would check that first. It could be a leak in the gasket between the manifold and your cylinder head where that coolant flows. They make one with an aluminum crossover now... That seems like a much more likely (and cheaper) option than your radiator being bad.

Its the radiator. Its leaking at the join between the core and drivers side plastic end tank. The rad place told my wife that i couldnt fit the new radiator as i would have to replace other parts as well as the radiator is this true or can i simply pull it out change the hoses and thermostat and put the new rad back in or do i need other parts. There charging around $200-$250 to install it and said to allow $400-$450 for the rad and parts.

I can't think of anything that you would need to replace other than the radiator itself. It is a pain in the ass to do yourself, but if you can you'll save yourself a bundle. You can buy a new radiator on Rockauto.com for less than $100.

I can't think of anything that you would need to replace other than the radiator itself. It is a pain in the ass to do yourself, but if you can you'll save yourself a bundle. You can buy a new radiator on Rockauto.com for less than $100.

Living in australia mate makes getting that rad hard and really cant wait for it to be shipped from the states as the mrs needs the car asap. Can it be removed without taking of the clutch fan?

Whats the likely hood that i have damaged the motor overheating it?

Yeah, that would really throw a dent in it. Well, if you can find one yourself it shouldn't be too hard to change out.

Back