Explorer randomly shuts off while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer randomly shuts off while driving

06Explorerlimited

Reaction score
City, State
Not Hispanic or Latino
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
Hello, I was hoping there might be somebody out there that can help me diagnose a problem with our Explorer. In the last couple years it has started randomly shutting off while driving, which apparently is a common issue with these explorers. After it shuts off we simply have to pull over, put it in park, and it starts back up with zero issues and runs without issue. We've done a few things in the last couple years to fix it, but nothing has made the problem go away. This year the car has to make a 600-mile trip for the holidays and it has us kind of nervous. No shops in the area can get it in until January, so we're stuck fixing it ourselves.

Two years ago we replaced the throttle positioning sensor (the correct third generation sensor) and the throttle actuator, but neither of those fixed the issue. After that we thought it might be an issue with fuel pressure, so we replaced the fuel pump two weeks ago. Last week the car died again despite all of these fixes, but for the first time in three years it actually threw an error code: P02107...... which says to replace the TPS or Throttle actuator. We've inspected the engine bay and can't find any obvious damage to the wiring harness, we've checked connectors to make sure there was no corrosion, and we cleaned the battery cables to eliminate grounding issues. At this point I don't know what's left to check, and I'm hoping there's somebody that's had this same issue that knows what the proper fix is.

Car specs:
2006 Ford Explorer Limited Edition
4.6L V8
4x4

I don't know about your situation, but I have to replace my throttle position sensor like every other year.

See my TPS thread here - Throttle Position Sensors - How Often to Replace? TPS

Maybe worth throwing another one on to see? If you haven't already done this, I would inspect all the wires running into the TPS harness and see if any of the individual wires are cracked.

I don't know about your situation, but I have to replace my throttle position sensor like every other year.

See my TPS thread here - Throttle Position Sensors - How Often to Replace? TPS

Maybe worth throwing another one on to see? If you haven't already done this, I would inspect all the wires running into the TPS harness and see if any of the individual wires are cracked.
At this point it couldn't hurt to try replacing the TPS. It is a couple years old now.

Check cam shaft and crank shaft sensors.

Back