• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2010 Shuts off randomly

Sambosat

Reaction score
City, State
Khobar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010, explorer 4l
Dear Valued members. My 2010 Explorer after I have cleaned the throttle body the car started to shut off randomly showing oil light. I turn the engine off and then restart the car, then it will work until next shutdown. I was thinking it is becuase of the throttle position and I need to reset it. So on Youtube, a mechanic was mentioning the following way to reset the throttle position
1- unplug the negative battery terminal
2- short it with the +ve terminal for few minutes.
3- reconnect and start the car
4- leave it running for about 15 min.
I'm not sure if this process is correct or not. If not can anyone explain the right process. The other question is, the symptoms that I have explained in the beginning are they caused by the cleaning of the throttle or there is another issue. Thank you for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the correct procedure to relearn the throttle position.

Thank you Eddie. I have applied this procedure but then it did the same thing the same day and the day after then I can notice that it is now doing it less and less. Should I be concerned or that is it, the car is relearning

Why are you associating the oil warning light with the throttle body? These two items should not be related. The oil light might be coming on due to a bad oil pressure sending unit, low oil pressure or something related to the wiring to it was damaged during cleaning of the throttle body. When the oil light comes on it is cause for immediate concern. If oil pressure is low it can result in the engine ceasing up or causing excessive wear. Also, when you clear the computer many systems have to relearn data to operate properly based on your driving habits.

Why are you associating the oil warning light with the throttle body? These two items should not be related. The oil light might be coming on due to a bad oil pressure sending unit, low oil pressure or something related to the wiring to it was damaged during cleaning of the throttle body. When the oil light comes on it is cause for immediate concern. If oil pressure is low it can result in the engine ceasing up or causing excessive wear. Also, when you clear the computer many systems have to relearn data to operate properly based on your driving habits.
Hi Eddie and thank you for your help. I'm not associating anything with anything. I know that the oil light has nothing to do with the throttle. I have just stated what is happening to my car. What happened is that last month, I took the car for a gear oil change and when the mechanic left the car for the oil change, he found that it was leaking so he confirmed that the gasket needs replacement and then he found that the engine is also leaking and replaced the gaskets there too. Then 2 weeks after receiving the car I decided to clean the throttle and after cleaning the throttle with the cleaner, I used the car and noticed that after starting the car and going on the road, at very low speed the car engine will shut off and the light for oil and wrench will show on the dashboard. So I assumed the engine goes off because of the throttle (has nothing to do with the oil light). Then it clicked in my mind that I probably need to reset the throttle sensor. So I googled it and found the video about the re-learn (I'm not that expert in cars) so I did relearn and that minimized the number of engine going off. Now I'm going for 4 days after the last engine going off and all is going good.

Having said that, My reasoning could be wrong and there might be another problem and that is why I reached to your help on this thread.

Do you have the V8 or V6 engine?

V6 engine
My Mountaineer has a V8 so my experience relating to throttle body issues doesn't apply to you. If all you did was spray the throttle body then I doubt you would need to perform the relearn procedure. Did you use a product specifically for throttle body cleaning? Maybe you moved some wires around causing the insulation to flake off which is causing a short. The 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers are known to have problems with failing wire insulation.

My Mountaineer has a V8 so my experience relating to throttle body issues doesn't apply to you. If all you did was spray the throttle body then I doubt you would need to perform the relearn procedure. Did you use a product specifically for throttle body cleaning? Maybe you moved some wires around causing the insulation to flake off which is causing a short. The 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers are known to have problems with failing wire insulation.
Thank you Eddie for your time and your support. I have used a product specific for the throttle body cleaning and what I did is I unplugged the sensor as was advised by the mechanic and then what I did is I manually left the gate that opens and closes to let air in and I cleaned it with a soft brush + soft new cleaning cloth and then once I'm done, I just replugged back in the cable for the sensor

Back