explorer/ranger conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer/ranger conversion

B

BMXunleashed

well i was wondering if anyone has put a ranger ext cab on the explorer frame instead of chopping up the explorer body....

why not just get a ranger?
4.0 with low miles and stronger rear end are already there

it should work right? i think itd be a cool way to ditch some wieght without having to do a lot of fab work on the ex body

what you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in theory i think it is a great idiea. But the reason i drive an X insted of a ranger is because i can haul people in foreward faceing seats, and so i dont have to let them out they can just get out with the back doors. Plus would you rather kick some GM @$$ alone or with some people that will brag for you. i don't know that is my thought

theres a different number of body mounts I think the ranger has 2 more, so most of the body mounts are probably in different locations, frame might be shorter. Ive pulled the body off an X before, its alot more work than people think, and even more work if you want everyhting to work when you put it back together. Plus, rangers didnt have stronger rears unless its not stock. They either had a 7.5 28spline or a 8.8 28 spline. All explorers are 8.8 31 spline.

Just get lotsa beers and a sawzall. Whats this fab work you speak of? :D

theres a 4 door ranger ?

theres a different number of body mounts I think the ranger has 2 more, so most of the body mounts are probably in different locations, frame might be shorter. Ive pulled the body off an X before, its alot more work than people think, and even more work if you want everyhting to work when you put it back together. Plus, rangers didnt have stronger rears unless its not stock. They either had a 7.5 28spline or a 8.8 28 spline. All explorers are 8.8 31 spline.

Just get lotsa beers and a sawzall. Whats this fab work you speak of? :D

i understand what you mean cuz the ranger cab is seperate from the bed so the cab would need 4 mounting points or whatever...
i was saying the explorer had the stronger axels....not the ranger....

i guess i could just do the explorer sport trac thing and just chop off the back...... hmmmmm decisions..... or maybe make it a convertible like i see people do with the old like 79' broncos....and do a full body cage type thing and get a custom canvas made .....or something....hhmmm

well i was wondering if anyone has put a ranger ext cab on the explorer frame instead of chopping up the explorer body....

You mean something like this:
ADionneR2_1.jpg
ADionneR2_2.jpg
ADionneR2_3.jpg

Although this one is on a BII frame. Similar concept though.

ya kinda like that but i think i might just cut off the body after the rear doors like i have seen done before because i like the look of the first gen "sport trac" kinda thing.....or just make it a total convertable i decided id rather keep 4 seats and more cab.....leaves room for more speakers :D

oh and i was thinkin of doing two rear bucket seats to match the front and building a center consol for the rear also.....

just trying to decide now..... convertable or sport trac?

Old thread dredging. I did this. Ranger cab grafted in after the rear doors. All parts are 93, ex, cab, bed. seating for five. check. little bed. check.

I was thinking of something similar actually.

Back