Explorer/Ranger tranny swap

mpierich

Reaction score
City, State
Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Howdy,

I have a '91 Explorer: 4x4, 2.9L auto, about 200,000 miles. I had the tranny rebuilt for $1700 two years ago with an update kit. Last fall I replaced the electric shift motor (with a lot of help from you guys). The engine runs fine but the lifters are very noisy even when hot, and the body is beginning to go pretty bad at the rocker panels.

My Dad passed away last summer and left behind a '92 Ranger 2.9 4x4, about 125,000 miles. The engine uses a lttle oil but otherwise the body etc. is in great shape. Last week the tranny went out in the pickup.

Question: can I do I straight swap to put the good tranny from the Explorer into the Ranger? Any mods needed? I'm a fair mechanic...can I do this myself, and is it a good idea? Or should I wait til the Explorer engine goes then do an engine swap from the Ranger?

Any comments most appreciated.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we just did the opposite....we put a tranny in a ranger to my 91 explorer...it fit i didnt have to buy any kits....it seems to shift jsut about the same...just to let you know its going to be hard to get the tranny out yourself specially if you dont have a tranny jack

RanSit said:
we just did the opposite....we put a tranny in a ranger to my 91 explorer...it fit i didnt have to buy any kits....it seems to shift jsut about the same...just to let you know its going to be hard to get the tranny out yourself specially if you dont have a tranny jack

Thanks, that's a big help. What year was the Ranger you got it out of?

I know about getting the trans out, lol...dropped enough of them on my head to know better by now. :confused:

First off they never built a Explorer with a 2.9L engine. 4.0L OHV in 91 only

If the ranger has a 2.9L or 4.0L yes it will work.

410Fortune said:
First off they never built a Explorer with a 2.9L engine. 4.0L OHV in 91 only

If the ranger has a 2.9L or 4.0L yes it will work.

My mistake, it was my old Bronco II that had the 2.9.

So you're saying no matter the engine, the swap will work?

Just wanted to bump this up to see if anybody knows if there are any special considerations when doing this swap...like, will the torque converter need to be swapped also, will it fit, any problems with linkages, etc. or is it a straightup swap?

Thanks.

Mike

Back