Explorer Sport Trac console swap - Another option to this crappy bag console! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Trac console swap - Another option to this crappy bag console!

Sure will, the short bag console. The older "real" console will also fit with no mods.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any pictures where the bolt holes are and how the center console mounts. I am going to try a go to some junk yards Monday and see what I can find. It will save some time not having to figure how to get the console out. Maybe a pic of the old console mounts and the new one.

Only these ...........

Tools needed: 8mm or 5/16" socket with ratchet, and extension if preferred, and a Phillips screw driver.

Arm Rest mounting bolts, two per side.
Armrestattachingpoint.jpg

After removing the arm rest there's one screw.
Rearconsoleattachmentpoint.jpg

Depending upon which cup holder tray is on the console there's four screws or no screws. The black cup holder has four and the interior colored cup holder has none & is removed by just lifting up on the front of it just like you do removing the one you have now.
Frontconsolecupholdercomparison2.jpg

Bagconsole001b.jpg

Once you have the cup holder removed there are two screws holding it it the floor.
Frontmountingscrews.jpg

Installation in the reverse You can actually remove/swap these consoles in about as much time as it took for me to upload and post these photos. So simple even a Caveman can do it .......
CavemanGeico.jpg

Both consoles mount EXACTLY the same ......... same screws, same bolts, same holes, same everything!

You do not even need to change the aluminum bracket.
Mountingbracket.jpg

ncranchero, i found an entire console with arm rest in grey(which is what I need) but it is supposedly from a 91-94 Explorer. It looks like the other ones on the top just a little different on the bottom. Do you think it will mount in my 2001.

Here is a picture.
BWSHMNWkKGrHgoH-EIEjlLlzEZJBKWrIKYH.jpg

Fits perfectly. That's the exact one I put in mine, only in tan.

Phillips screwdriver, 8mm (5/16") socket with extension and ratchet and 15 minutes and you're done.

Thanks, I went ahead bought it before your post (took a chance but I didnt want to loose it,could sell it if it wouldnt fit). Got it for $60 plus $30 shipping. I had found some consoles without the armrest and they were about $60 total without an armrest. Figured another armrest would run me about $30 or so.

Yeah, you'll be much happier with that one and if you have the bag for the one you're taking out you can almost recover your money by selling that bag.

I have a console lid like this in my possession, and I will be soon offering them in leather/suede kits :)

Thanks a great deal. You saved me a bunch of time and exasperation. This will be my project next week. Thant a bunch for the pictures.

You'll be glad you did!!!

Awesome Post!

This is one of the more useful posts I've read on this forum, thank you very much!

Thanks!

This is so cool. I'm so glad I found this forum. I broke my armrest a while back. I Never figured I could change it out. Now I want to change out the whole console.
I sure appreciate this post.

What color is your interior? I still have a tan one but no arm rest for it. There may be a gray one around here too. PM me if it'll help you.

Will the 2 cupholder shorty console from say a 03 xlt ranger fit up front under the dash? I think I know my next mod if it does. I like the bag, I just wanna change the cupholder part to that style like the black one up there ^^

I'm not familiar with the Ranger consoles, never seen a Ranger with bucket seats & console that I recall. "Supposedly" the consoles are the same design as the Explorer consoles. The black cup holder shown above will "fit" the bag console. Notice in the console comparison photo below, the screw holes in the very front and rear corners of the open cup holder area of the Explorer (Ranger?) console that aren't there on the bag console.

Cupholdermountingpointcomparison.jpg

No, I'm talking about the 2 cupholder console that goes under the dash below the radio bezel. Just a thought I had, because I have an old black one that would fit in my grey st interior. Except for ones with the full-length console, all Rangers all had 60/40 seats I'm pretty sure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replaced mine also, bought one on eBay. Took about 5 minutes to install and love it. Now I could hide things I don't want others to see.

Back