Explorer ST - Towing Capacity question | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST - Towing Capacity question

Don't know what to tell you. I too had Touareg TDI in fact I owned two of them. As I mentioned above, after the diesel "fix" which turned my 2014 into a piece of crap, I traded it for a 2018 Explorer Ecoboost. I was intrigued by the engine power rated at 360 hp for the 3.5 Liter V-6 with the 6 speed auto.

Empty, it was okay, pulling anything including my little 6x12 utility trailer I use to transport my RC model airplanes, it was a whole different story and compared to the VW, the handling, braking and overall feel were atrocious.The transverse mounted engine with front wheel primary drive were REALLY BAD compared to the VW. Going up any kind of hill with the little trailer which only weighs about 2200 lbs. was a joke as well and the fuel mileage dropped to a really bad 6-8 MPG.

That's when I found out it only had an 18,5 gallon fuel tank..... Pulling something even light, you'll find yourself stopping at about every gas station you come across. Coming out of the VW TDI I basically hated that thing from the day I got it. I kept looking for something to replace it but nothing tweaked my interest until I saw that Ford was going to redesign the Explorers for 2020. I still wasn't too impressed, but the additional features and performance to be found on the new Lincoln Aviator, particularly the plug-in Hybrid really intrigued me. I believe it still has the max 6700 lb. tow weight with electric trailer brakes installed. Have fun finding a dealer who will install that, I had to get my RV service place to do the Lincoln when I got here just like I had to find an RV dealer to put the brake controller in the 2018 Explorer. If you're thinking about an Aviator, the Hybrids only come in the Reserve model which is right below the Black Label stuff and with the Hybrid option, one will set you back about $85,500.

Not sure about the suspension and/or tires on the Explorer, but the Lincoln is just a joy to drive. Conventional engine/trans layout gets you better weight distribution and bigger tires with a different suspension layout gets you vastly improve driving. Downside is that it and the Explorer only have 18 gal. fuel tanks, but at least the Hybrid with the 400 hp 3.0 gas engine with the 94 hp electric motor, will get you 500 miles on a tank of fuel, while not towing anything.

If you are considering Audi, I'd definitely go drive one and compare it to the Explorer with an especially close eye paid to the capabilities you are interested in. I do not believe you'll buy the Ford. I would not bother with BMW, the maintenance on those along with your insurance will be pretty spendy.

Hope that helps give you some feedback to consider.......

Don't know what to tell you. I too had Touareg TDI in fact I owned two of them. As I mentioned above, after the diesel "fix" which turned my 2014 into a piece of crap, I traded it for a 2018 Explorer Ecoboost. I was intrigued by the engine power rated at 360 hp for the 3.5 Liter V-6 with the 6 speed auto.

Empty, it was okay, pulling anything including my little 6x12 utility trailer I use to transport my RC model airplanes, it was a whole different story and compared to the VW, the handling, braking and overall feel were atrocious.The transverse mounted engine with front wheel primary drive were REALLY BAD compared to the VW. Going up any kind of hill with the little trailer which only weighs about 2200 lbs. was a joke as well and the fuel mileage dropped to a really bad 6-8 MPG.

That's when I found out it only had an 18,5 gallon fuel tank..... Pulling something even light, you'll find yourself stopping at about every gas station you come across. Coming out of the VW TDI I basically hated that thing from the day I got it. I kept looking for something to replace it but nothing tweaked my interest until I saw that Ford was going to redesign the Explorers for 2020. I still wasn't too impressed, but the additional features and performance to be found on the new Lincoln Aviator, particularly the plug-in Hybrid really intrigued me. I believe it still has the max 6700 lb. tow weight with electric trailer brakes installed. Have fun finding a dealer who will install that, I had to get my RV service place to do the Lincoln when I got here just like I had to find an RV dealer to put the brake controller in the 2018 Explorer. If you're thinking about an Aviator, the Hybrids only come in the Reserve model which is right below the Black Label stuff and with the Hybrid option, one will set you back about $85,500.

Not sure about the suspension and/or tires on the Explorer, but the Lincoln is just a joy to drive. Conventional engine/trans layout gets you better weight distribution and bigger tires with a different suspension layout gets you vastly improve driving. Downside is that it and the Explorer only have 18 gal. fuel tanks, but at least the Hybrid with the 400 hp 3.0 gas engine with the 94 hp electric motor, will get you 500 miles on a tank of fuel, while not towing anything.

If you are considering Audi, I'd definitely go drive one and compare it to the Explorer with an especially close eye paid to the capabilities you are interested in. I do not believe you'll buy the Ford. I would not bother with BMW, the maintenance on those along with your insurance will be pretty spendy.

Hope that helps give you some feedback to consider.......

Nobody should pay someone to install a trailer brake controller. Just buy the unit and the plug and plug it in under the dash. No more then 15-20 min to install.

Back