Explorer - what do you like/dislike and what would you change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer - what do you like/dislike and what would you change?

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
Hey, I am going to fill out this application for this scholarship daimler chrysler is offering and Im going to talk about the explorer and what i can change and what i like and dislike. I'm going to page through the search feature sometime within the week, but would first like to get some current thoughts about the subject.

Preliminary things I would like to include:

Like: Design is smooth, not as rigid as some other suv's
Engine is extremely reliable.
Price is reasonable
Repairs are fairly easy to fix and solve
Two engine options (4.0 V6/5.0 V8)
4WD and limited slip work well in winter
Parts interchange between some years even after redesign

Dislike:
160hp V6 4.0 comes a little short in performance
205hp SOHC v6 has adequate power but could be boosted
A4ld and 5SREE(?) are weak transmissions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice post, you probablly already know what I'm going to say, but I'll say anyway.

Appearance is pleaesing, smooth clean lines flow very well throughout the vehicle
Engine is reliable.
Price was a bit steep but worth it
Standard 3.73 with LSD on the rear of many models
4 Wheel ABS Discs
Parts interchange between many in trim/body panels
Avalibility of appearance mods, not everything that say an F-150 has, but definatley plenty
decent long lasting warranty
flexibility and practicality in space and application
The explorer forum community :)

Dislikes:
Much to be desired in transmission reliability, extremly unrealible transmission (4R70W)
Problems with drivetrain are often extremnley intermittant and difficult to diagnose
Ridiculously low performance
Similarities between the mustang 5.0 and explorer 5.0 are just enough to make parts for the explorer cost twice that of a mustang's because of mounting brackets etc.
the firestone issue
Ford dealerships

and btw yall, dont give me anything about me buying a lemon.. its 5 years old, if it were a lemon it wouldn't still be on the road, theres a simple problem that could easliy be fixed I'm sure had I the resources to do it. :)

I love that light on the mirror that lights up when you hit the un-lock on the key pad. You know so you can see to get it.
Auto-on headlights are a lazy man's delight.

Dislikes , there are WAY too many black Explorer Sports in my area. :)

Dislikes: not enough places to put switches :D

I'm with Monmix.

Good things: Keyless entry and auto-on headlights. I haven't turned that headlight switch on more than 12 times I bet. Unlocked the door even less.

Bad things: Welded on torsion bracket. Hood latch location. The plastic sides of the rear hatch. Damn child proof windows in the back.

I think thats about it.

Good:

Aesthetically pleasing
SOHC 4.0 engine performance is good

Bad

poor tranny
unified hub/bearing assembly!

i want a dana 44 up front... heheh oh yeah, and more cupholders my 92 has one

darkforce, I don't know why you are knocking the 4R70w tranny. It is much better than the one behind the V6.

Originally posted by section525

Bad things: Damn child proof windows in the back.

Ah, those child proof windows are pesky, but they finally go all the way down on 2002's.
I would like them to go all the way down on mine if there was a switch to lock that function out...

I would have changed the A4ld, that thing is crap!!!

Not to knock you, but why would Daimler-Chrysler care to read about the redesign of something that isn't even their product?

I mean it might give them insight to some of the competition's consumers' gripes, but for a scholarship I would think you would want to show them why you are attracted to DC. If I were to talk about anything, I think it would be how Jeep is doing something right by producing the Rubicon and it'll be interesting to see if any of the other manufacturers will follow suit.

To continue, what I like and dislike about the Explorer.

Comfortable.
You can get a V8 in some of them.

Dislikes:

Overpriced (new models).
The 4.0L SOHC makes no torque under 2000 RPMs.
The change to SLA suspensions.
The auto trannies are absolute JUNK.
But finding a manual tranny in one is near impossible.
Whatever happened to manual hubs?
Whatever happened to a manual t-case?

They will never do it, but what about a REAL factory built off-road Explorer. D44 and 8.8 (without c-clips), 4.10s, lockers, 4-5 links, coils, 33s, 5.0L (you know they still have them in warehouses), a nice tranny like a 4R100 (same as Superduty), and a 4:1 t-case.

Pretty much a Jeep Rubicon. Please don't tell me, "real vehicles are built, not bought." That's a total line of horse s#it. It's no different than someone paying to have a shop build them a rig because it's just being done at the factory. The Early Bronco was a factory off-the-line wheeling machine.

It's just sad that Ford can't and probably won't have an answer to the Rubicon. If they call the FX4 package in the Ranger the equivilent I would shoot myself.

Good point CoryL.

1. Reliable Engine (91 OHV 160,000 and still great)
2. Looks good
3. Has been most reliable car owned.
4. L/S works good for boat launching and receiving
4. Good Power windows (GM's suck)
5. Stock JBL Stereo is pretty good

Dislikes:

1. Auto hubs
2. Front brakes
3. Getting worried about tranny
4. Front suspension setup chews up tires
5. I wish engine had more midrange torque (would like v-8).
6. Kinda high maintanence.

Brian

I second Cory.

If Ford yould sell all the back stock of the 5.0, TTB or D-44 and 8.8's to a subsidiary company and let them use the Ford name and build just what Cory had mentioned, of course making the marketing a bit more along the lines of Land Rover. Damn, those would not sit for long. Imagine being able to go test a brand new Explorer with all the mods and goodies, tight as hell no damage or swerving to the right, etc...Warranty!
That's what I want. Old chassis, all the goodies of the new model.

First off topic: Instead of dream explorer, just recreate the 1975 Bronco, 5.0L (302) 5sp trans, modern engine control, modern a/c sys, 2 live axles, removable top:)

Second off topic: I second Cory L; I would concentrate on Daimler/Chrysler products. In other words, suck up a little but be sincere.

On topic:

Good:

Most ergonomics are good (good headroom, visiblity, good view of instruments)
Engine reliable, if not powerful
Good esthetics (looks good inside and out)

Bad or needs improvement:

Seat belts retractors never retract (belt always caught in door)
Radio faceplate design compromises choices of aftermarket replacement (I'm sure that it is their strategy but it still sucks)
One piece backrest (non adjustable headrestraint) is not suitable for all driver heights
Exterior trim on back hatch captures dirt and is difficult to clean (fixed on 98 and later ?)

Um guys...it just said for the scholarship thing that chrysler is offering..to pick any car...so im picking the explorer, because its what ive most driven....just following instructions...thanks for the imput, hopefully i can win, lol

Comfort
Fuel economy despite V8
Pulls a trailer well
Aesthetics in and out
It's built Ford Tough

Dislikes:
Blender door "defect"
Weak brakes, but at least the '97 brakes don't wear like the '94 did
Eats IACs
Soccer mom ride that I fixed with air springs, Bilstein shocks, and TT
Dealership service departments, especially Starkville FLM in Starkville, MS (avoid at all costs)

You can pick any car?

In that case good luck. I wish I could have got a scholarship.

Brian

I agree with dogfriend, a '75 EB would be sweet with modern amenities on it!

Good: SOHC V6 (only engine I'm familiar with)
I like the 5 spd auto tranny so far
style in and out
lots of model variations
FORD tough!
smooth on road & tough off it
good blend of people & cargo space
rear seat AC + stereo controls are cool
the key fob works well (better than my wife's VW)

Bad: I second the no adjustable front headrests! Not everyone is 5'9"
the "butt sag" (get some better rear springs)
the "soccer mom" image
no off road pkg (like Ranger FX4 or better)
a diesel engine option would be cool
no manual tranny option
improve gas mileage (w/o sacrificing power)

Overall, it is still a great truck. A few of these missing options and it would be awesome. Oh yeah, get rid of the 2002+ styling. Can you say "minivan"? :p

1) roll up glass like the 4Runner has on hatch
2) larger engine bay(makes easier to work on0
3) better shock mounts(front /rear)
4) some sort of off road package

Actually my wife and daughter each have an X and prefer them to a car. I like my 2k2 Maxima personally, but here's a list of likes/dislikes on the X:

mirror lights
easy access in and out (for old farts like me)
comfortable on the highway and trips
sits up above traffic
rear seats fold down for e-z loading stuff
oil is e-z to change (I don't even elevate it at all)
seems to be a solid vehicle
spare tire is located UNDER vehicle - instead of blocking the rear view like some vehicles by hanging on the rear hatch

Dislikes:
-no 'recirculate' button/switch on the AC-heating (I hate this when I'm behind a diesel vehicle and must smell this odor)
-built on truck chassis - so you get the 'truck' ride - I personally prefer a smoother ride
-I prefer the Jeep idea on the spare tire - it's inside the vehicle, but under the floor. This is a much better design

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by parker2k
[B

Dislikes:
-no 'recirculate' button/switch on the AC-heating (I hate this when I'm behind a diesel vehicle and must smell this odor)
[/B]

The Max A/C setting should be the same as 'recirculate' if your system is working correctly.

Back