Explorer XLT 2000 with issues - help please | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer XLT 2000 with issues - help please

My opinion is that this is an XLS. That appears to be an earlier model XLT badge placed in the wrong spot. The correct badge would have the same lettering as the "Explorer" badge and located on the passenger side of the lift gate (that's how it is on my '01). Also it appears that you have the grey trim and bumper which is common on the XLS.

A VIN lookup or a call to your dealer parts desk will help. They can pull up the build sheet and tell you exactly what your ride came with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it is an XLT unless they changed the back door emblem also. I will check the VID in the morning though

- Will let you know what I find out View attachment 150930

View attachment 150929

I agree, that XLT badge doesn't look right for a 2000 and is in the wrong location. Also, if you look closely at the key-less entry keypad on the door, I think you can notice the paint appears to be peeling at the top exposing a darker color beneath the white, which would be evidence of a repaint. An original door would have been painted before the keypad was installed and would not peel. Bet ya that's an XLS that someone replaced the door on.

My '00 XLT was very will equipped and had almost every option as my '01 Eddie Bauer, of course options can be added, but even a stripped XLT would have had power door locks and power windows (like our '01 XLT).

Pull the door panel and check the color of the inside of the door.

Pull the door panel and check the color of the inside of the door.

Easier to type your VIN into ETIS, but yes I though of saying that.

Oh yeah I agree, pull the VIN. All kinds of useful stuff. I was just saying to pull the door to see if bodywork has ever been done.

Going to check it in a few minutes. I am tending to agree with all of you. They don't come much more bare bones than this truck.I haven't had a truck in 15 + years that didn't at the very least have power windows and I REALLY miss cruise control. I drive 25 miles one way to work each day and the speed limit is 70 but some how with the new sound system I put in, it seems the better I like the song the faster I go. It WILL get me in trouble. I see that coming. I'm still a big kid at heart and my other vehicle is a Mustang GT with a full race tune on it. Welcome to my mid life crisis

All and all though I do still love my Explorer, even if it is a hermaphrodite. It's paid for, tows my boat and doesn't look too bad. Will update this later

Hmmm strange. When I went to the Ford ETIS site I got this message in about 20 different languages

" Your access to Ford Etis has been denied as a result of a high number of transactions from your IP address. Please retry in 15 minutes. Should you still be unable to access FordEtis, contact the IDS Helpdesk. "

PM me with your VIN, or post if you're comfortable.

PM me with your VIN, or post if you're comfortable.

Maybe I am doing it wrong - I selected start conversation from your icon and then entered the VID number but it keeps popping up an error message saying Please enter a valid message. What am I doing wrong.

I just tried it (ETIS) it worked for me. Here's what it said about my '01 Explorer:

Minor Features
  • Medium Prairie Tan
  • Super Soft
  • Grain
  • 112"/2845MM Wheelbase
  • Eddie Bauer
  • (-) Version Packages
  • Less Special Purpose Vehicle
  • Less Fleet Related Items
  • St. Louis Plant Built
  • U.S. Sales
  • Less Special Equipment Package
  • Less Exterior Dress Up Package
  • Less Special Order Paint
  • Less Military Vehicles
  • Less Exterior Appearance Pack
  • With Electronic Group
  • With Power Equipment Group
  • Less Ambient Temp/Speed Pack
  • Feature Content Group 2
  • With On-Board Diagnostic System
  • Less Economic Comm Content
  • Less Special Language Label
  • Owner Hand Book Pack
  • Less Canadian Provinces/Territories
  • With Power Front Windows
  • With Privacy Glass
  • Less E-Marked Glass
  • Standard Ovrhed Console & With Rail
  • With Unique Full Floor Console
  • Less Footrest
  • Front Floor Carpet Mats
  • Rear Floor Carpet Mats
  • Sunvisor - Dual Drv Illuminated
  • Sunvisor - Dual-Pass Illuminated
  • With Level 2 Door Trim Panel
  • With Load Area Cover
  • With Load Floor Reversible Mat
  • Chrome-Plated
  • With Integrated Roof Rack
  • With Body Colour Painted Mouldings
  • With Colour Keyed Wheel Lip M'lding
  • Less Exterior Rocker Panel Moulding
  • Less Side Auxiliary Step
  • With Electrochromic R/View Mirror
  • Drivers Power Mirror - Underlit
  • Passenger Power With Under Light
  • Less Trim Seat Insert
  • Less Temp Control Driver Seat
  • Less Temp Control Passengers Seat
  • With Driver 6 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster
  • With Pass 6 Way Power Seat Adjuster
  • Less Programmable Driver Seat
  • With Light Duty Trailer Towing
  • Less Front Towing Hook
  • Less Rear Towing Hooks
  • 4 Door Wagon
  • With Central Locking System
  • One Step Door Unlock System
  • Keyless Entry-Illum Pad & Fob
  • With Int. Rear Window Wiper/Washer
  • Speed Sensitive Windscreen Wipers
  • Less Sun Roof
  • Less Body Tu-Tone Paint
  • Less Bodyside Accent Stripe
  • With Front Licence Plate Bracket
  • With Driver Air Bag
  • Less Passenger Air Bag
  • Less Side Air Bag - Drivers Side
  • Less Side Air Bag - Passenger Side
  • Less Tether Anchorage Restraint
  • With Steel Spare Wheel
  • Std Duty Dual Front Shock Absober
  • With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers
  • 7J x 16" 5 Spoke Aluminium Wheel
  • With Conventional Spare Tyre
  • Less Immersion Heater
  • With Standard Suspension
  • Rear Axle Limited Slip Differential
  • Ford Axle Type
  • 5.0L OHV SEFI V8 (NP)
  • 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System
  • Less Skid Plates
  • With Rear Seat Climate Control
  • With Non Locking Fuel Cap
  • For Unleaded Fuel
  • With Tilt Steering Wheel
  • Leather Steering Wheel
  • With Speed Control
  • Redundant Controls - Steering Wheel
  • With MPH/KMH Speedometer
  • With Header Mnt Compass/Thermometer
  • With Message Centre
  • Less Anti-Theft Alarm
  • Less Rear Parking Aid
  • Elect Prem Stro/Cass/Disc/Clock
  • Less Radio Pre-Equipment Pack
  • With CD Player Autochanger
  • With NAAO Radio Frequency
  • With Audiophile Sound System
  • With Rear Seat Radio Controls
  • Accessory Power Delay
  • With Homelink
  • Less Daytime Running Lamps
  • With Front Fog Lamps
  • Less Front Driving Lamps
  • Less Rear Fog Lamps
  • With Automatic Headlamp Control
  • Medium Wedgewood Blue
  • Ford Series
  • F57A 5B326 BC Torsion Bar RH
  • F57A 5B327 BC Torsion Bar LH
  • Less B&A Control Codes Issue 030388
  • 4R70W (AODE) 4-Speed Auto Trans
  • Explorer/Mountaineer

Well, it appears everyone was right, it is an XLS

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Primary Features
Build Date: 28.06.2000
Vehicle Line: Explorer/Mountaineer
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Version: Ford Series
Engine: 4.0 V6 OHV 12V EFI
Transmission: 5R44E/5R55E - 5 Speed Auto Trans
Drive: LHD RWD
Axle Ratio: 3.55
Emission: With 49 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Paint: Oxford White

Minor Features
  • Medium Prairie Tan
  • 112"/2845MM Wheelbase
  • XLS
  • St. Louis Plant Built
  • With Integrated Roof Rack
  • 4 Door Wagon
  • With Front Licence Plate Bracket
  • Less Driver Air Bag
  • Less Passenger Air Bag
  • Std Duty Dual Front Shock Absober
  • With Standard Rear Shock Absorbers
  • 7J X 15" Full Face Steel Wheel
  • P235/75R15SL S/BLT OWL A-T
  • Less Rear Axle Limited Slip Diff
  • 4.0 V6 OHV 12V EFI
  • Elect AM/FM/Stereo/Cassette/Clock
  • With NAAO Radio Frequency
  • Oxford White
  • Ford Series
  • 5R44E/5R55E - 5 Speed Auto Trans
  • Explorer/Mountaineer
I still like it LOL - Is carfax a free service? Would like to see the results. This truck was a Dallas Police truck so I don't know if it will even show anything because they do most of their own repairs (I believe). The man I got it from said he bought it at auction.

With your truck I don't know if I'd want to know the carfax! Don't ask don't tell! :eek:

You can tell if the door has been replaced by checking the door sticker VIN. It should also have the original color code if it had been resprayed.

You can tell if the door has been replaced by checking the door sticker VIN. It should also have the original color code if it had been resprayed.

Thanks, I will do that when I leave for work today. It "may" of had power locks at some point. Kind of strange. The front doors do not have the arm rests on them??? The man I bought it from made ones out of oak. They look ok but I planned on replacing them with original ones because these are knuckle busters. The window crank sticks and when it frees you smash your knuckle on the front of them. I change where the handle starts but then I always seem to hit it when putting the window back up. I need to open the door up and see what is inside.

Tks

Yeah, with crank windows it almost surely never had power locks.

Yeah, with crank windows it almost surely never had power locks.
Oh well, I can deal with crank windows and really didn't need the key-less entry but I still need for get in there and make the window operate a little easier. It sticks at one pint and then breaks free. I think the track is pivoting.

Oh well, I can deal with crank windows and really didn't need the key-less entry but I still need for get in there and make the window operate a little easier. It sticks at one pint and then breaks free. I think the track is pivoting.
And point also LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got an easy fix for your window problem and you don't even need to take anything apart. The issue is that the window channels get worn and dirty over time. The binding/glass pivoting happens with power or manual windows, it's just the way the regulator works. Go to Walmart and buy a can of Liquid Wrench brand foaming silicon spray. Using the little straw that comes with the can, roll your window down all the way (help it as necessary) then spray a liberal amount of silicon on and down the front and rear window channels. Problem solved and it will stay fixed for a really long time (did mine over a year ago and the window is still working smoothly). I've used this trick on multiple Explorers/Mountaineers. Worked every time.

Monitors - If you read this, consider making a STICKY out of this fix. Many Explorers suffer from this problem and left unchecked the binding glass will ruin the regulator.

Back