• Register Today It's free!

Expy to Nav ECC interchangable???

shaggymane

Reaction score
City, State
topeka, kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 navajo
A local out of the way bone yard where parts are cheap just got a 91 4dr Exp AT, AC 4x4. I have a 91 Navajo.

I thought it would be a good idea to grab some spare parts. One of them being the computer, the ECC.
Would they interchange? The Expy tranny is mechanical/hydraulic so seems to me that shouldn't be a problem.

However, O R's lists 11 different part numbers for both the Nav and the Expy and then also add things like "With ID Number F17F-12A650-ZA"

Is That a reference to the vin number?

eta neither vehicle is a Cal vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bumping this thread because i still think someone knows

Usually when you replace the PCM, you try to match those numbers so the calibrations all match up.

As far as I know (ignoring transmission differences), engine management is basically the same on all '91 4.0's. The only difference is internal calibrations inside the PCM's programming. Except for differences between auto/manual transmission, the PCM's should interchange ok.

I have a 93 and the computer code for Oreillys is F37F-ZB

Found a 94 Ex sport same everything and its a F47F-NB

I "Ass"ume that the first number is the year of the vehicle... Since you stated the F17F is from a 91 that assumption holds water... I am still trying to figure out what the first letter in the ZB or NB means...

I am putting the 94 NB in place of my 93 ZB tonight... Will let you know

Usually when you replace the PCM, you try to match those numbers so the calibrations all match up.

As far as I know (ignoring transmission differences), engine management is basically the same on all '91 4.0's. The only difference is internal calibrations inside the PCM's programming. Except for differences between auto/manual transmission, the PCM's should interchange ok.

So it's basically a go. Curious what variations on the internal calibrations might be. Would a heavier vehicle (4dr) with a tow package have a longer pulse width on the injectors for more power? anything like that?

93F-Explorer, How'd ya make out?

Just to inform you the 94 did not work in my 93...

93 is batch fire and 94 is sequential fire... so I didnt have any luck =(

Just to inform you the 94 did not work in my 93...

93 is batch fire and 94 is sequential fire... so I didnt have any luck =(
That's the tough part about swapping PCM's to a '93. Some '93's are batch fire and some are SEFI.

Back