Extending the Stock Roof Rack

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
I used U-Pull parts matched to my rig, got the mounting rails/slides, center supports/skid/spars, the square, slide nuts that fit in the rails, and a couple extra rail/slide mounting bolts. The extra bolts were needed as the heads stripped a bit on a couple of them when I removed them. I used three screws with a rubber washer under them to mount the slides and mounted the spars with 3/16" aluminum rivets.

I did not extend the rack with the intension of hauling anything more than some camping gear or extension ladder. I wanted additional security so I made and added tie downs, aluminum angle, rivetted to the body, so they are separate from the rack and help held down the rack and everything in it. I have used the set-up for several years. It has allowed me to make a bed in the back and be able to hit the road with all camping gear on top.

Early use ,before I got the rocket box and made the front air diverter:
xedge-1.jpg

Here is the latest set-up, though I have painted my truck since this pic:

img_2832.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack5.jpg

I cut-in the ends of the spars to the end of the existing spars:
rack6.jpg

There was a section of channel the spars fit down into that had a lump so I cut in the spars to fit:
rack7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that, I could have used more roof rack space this past season. I still hope to try my hand at welding a nice steel rack for my 99 later one, a project to help me to learn to weld better.

I used U-Pull parts matched to my rig, got the mounting rails/slides, center supports/skid/spars, the square, slide nuts that fit in the rails, and a couple extra rail/slide mounting bolts. The extra bolts were needed as the heads stripped a bit on a couple of them when I removed them. I used three screws with a rubber washer under them to mount the slides and mounted the spars with 3/16" aluminum rivets.

I did not extend the rack with the intension of hauling anything more than some camping gear or extension ladder. I wanted additional security so I made and added tie downs, aluminum angle, rivetted to the body, so they are separate from the rack and help held down the rack and everything in it. I have used the set-up for several years. It has allowed me to make a bed in the back and be able to hit the road with all camping gear on top.

Early use ,before I got the rocket box and made the front air diverter:
View attachment 425402

Here is the latest set-up, though I have painted my truck since this pic:

View attachment 425394

View attachment 425397

View attachment 425398

View attachment 425399

I cut-in the ends of the spars to the end of the existing spars:
View attachment 425400

There was a section of channel the spars fit down into that had a lump so I cut in the spars to fit:
View attachment 425401

What is the process for removing and reinstalling the plastic ribs on the roof? I have been dreading jumping into it but I need to do some rust repair around the ribs.

Thanks

Those are all riveted on, you will have to remove the headliner and then drill out the aluminum rivet heads carefully. The headliner will be the worst part, that and covering the interior to catch any debris.

What is the process for removing and reinstalling the plastic ribs on the roof? I have been dreading jumping into it but I need to do some rust repair around the ribs.

Thanks
I was able to drill-out the rivets from the top to get the ribs/spars I wanted at the wrecking yard. I suppose what was left of those rivets fell through to the headliner.

I was actually reading this wondering "how did he do that with the Moonroof" when I saw the pics and remembered not all Explorers have moonroofs. LoL 😆 I hate getting old. Looks like a very well done job.

I was actually reading this wondering "how did he do that with the Moonroof" when I saw the pics and remembered not all Explorers have moonroofs. LoL 😆 I hate getting old. Looks like a very well done job.
I am too tall for a sun roof, like them, but..............................Thanks. I am going toorder some of these to replace the sheet metal screws I used to hold down the rails. These look very similar to what is used to screw into on the stock rails.

sheet-metal-nut.jpg

Back