• Register Today It's free!

F150 Tranny Slip

snoborder42

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
Well to start off its a 92 F150 5.8L 2WD with 87000 miles. It has the E4OD tranny and it slips in OD when going up hills but only up hills. On the flats OD it fine and when going up hills in any other gear its fine. I'm just wondering if it needs a rebuild or if its something else. By the way I have posted in an F150 forum and havent gotten any help so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody?

Anybody, I really need some advice on this situation. I can't afford a rebuild right now.

I'm not familiar with that transmission, but I would say that OD can't work on a steep incline, because you would need a low gear for it to work. It is pulling a lot of weight against gravity. Did you try to adjust the bands, and check your fluid level? When was the last time you replaced your filter?

Brooklyn, thanks for your help. But from what I have learned this tranny does not have band adjustments. As for the fluild and filter it is to be changed really soon. But for the good news it no longer slips. I found some advice on a f150 forum about changing the plug wires and tranny slipping. Well it worked, I know it makes no sense but I guess it was missing and not slipping on the hills. Whoo hoo no rebuild yet... :thumbsup:

That sounds like a lack of engine power due to insufficient spark voltage. I would also replace the fuel filter to prevent WOT fuel starvation. This is when the engine will need all of its available power at a specific time.

Again I thank you for your advice. There is already a new fuel filter on it, maybe 15,000 miles on it probably less. As for the spark voltage, that could be a cause but I think that real problem was the wires. Seeing how they were original, i think, so 14 years and 85000 miles so I just replaced them. Plus I found that the coil was really corroded so I cleaned it. Runs like a champ now, smooth idle and no missing. :thumbsup:

Back