Factory battery cables part # | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory battery cables part #

bluexpy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer-less
I tried to get the parts number from the dealer, but I was given the usual "too old" crap. I tried searching, but all I got was the troubleshooting threads. I'm OK - the posts are so badly corrored, the terminals are fused to the battery!

I need new cables for both sides - positive and negative. Are the 94s voltage regulator and relay externally separate like on old Fords I worked in the past? The reason I ask this is, because old Fords usually have two cables for the positive side. One short to relay, then one directly to the starter motor.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last I heard, the OE battery cables were no longer available through Ford.

The '91-94's do have two positive cables, though it's just a small one going to the relay and the larger one to the block/starter.

If you want OE cables, your best bet is either a salvage yard, or asking someone in the For Sale forum to pull the cables off a '91-94 they're parting out. You could always just get some terminals and make your own new cables with some 1-2 gauge wire.

When did you hear about this? The threads were pretty recent.

Thanks for the confirmation on two positive cables, I know what I'll have to do.

Buying used isn't going to help any; corrosion is a very common issue with the OE cables on the 1st gen. I'm not going to play junkman and find one that hasn't bee corroded. I want NEW. And hell if I'm going to perform a backyard hack fix. This is my baby, a bone stock baby that has NEVER been molested, and I intended to keep that way! It's either OEM FORD or no go. The only thing that ain't a Ford on there is the oil filter [Mobil 1 filter]. :D

I did find some OE Ford [Motorcraft]cables at Rockauto.com, but they are pricey. I'm not sure if they are correct, and I don't want to be stuck with $70 cables if they turn out to be incorrect.

It's listed as: MOTORCRAFT Part # WC9049 {#F3TZ14301E}

Anyone know of a business that deals strictly in OEM Ford parts?? Thanks!

I was surprised to hear that Ford no longer stocks them. I replaced mine in April 2007, and a lot of electrical issues were solved. They were pricey, about $150 for the pair, but were beautiful, high quality cables that fit perfectly. I looked for my receipt for the part numbers, but must have trashed it.

I did a little searching on my favorite car sites, and I can tell you that Autozone had good pics of cables made by Lynx...they looked just like the Ford cables, and were similar in the price I paid. Hope this helps.:usa:

Here's the link:http://www.autozone.com/N,16400170//shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

While I went to the trouble of getting myself a set of replacement OE cables in case mine ever need replacing, I don't think they're incredible enough to pay $150 for. I'd replace them with 0 or 1 gauge aftermarket wire soldered to some fancy terminals for a LOT less. The fix to the corrosion problem has nothing to do with cables or terminals, even if you buy brand new $150 cables, they will get corroded with a standard lead-acid battery. A dry-cel battery like an Optima ends corrosion forever. I'd spend the $150 on an Optima battery before I'd spend it on overpriced cables. Then you can even get 24K gold plated terminals and not worry about corrosion.

oh, and if you want to try, www.fastpartsnetwork.com, formerly Ford parts network, might be worth a shot.

Ford obsoletes parts faster than they used to. I suggest taking a set of the OEM cables(yours or junk from junk yard) to a company and have them made. I have had several battery cables made by a local business. They are far superior to OEM cables and will last far longer.

Below shows my last custom cable, and what is left of the OEM cable in my 99 truck. The original cable was cut because of a wreck, so I used it simply as a ground to my frame(I have extra circuits). You can see that the new cable is much larger than the OEM piece, and it's only battery cable. My Royal Brass and Hose was out of the welding cable that I wanted. This cost me about $25 or so. Good luck,

Attachments

• Projectthread081.JPG
    Projectthread081.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 289

That $40 isn't too bad. The best feature(key) is the battery terminal, that's where corrosion begins.

Back