factory posi? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

factory posi?

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna hit the boneyard this weekend to source the parts. Thinking my biggest issue will be the intermediate parking brake cable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna hit the boneyard this weekend to source the parts. Thinking my biggest issue will be the intermediate parking brake cable.

Indeed, often is the issue. Swapping a whole axle is a good choice and a perfect time to give it tlc before install under your rig.

You can always go to home depo or lowes and have them make you a section. .they have the cable and the ends.they can cut and crimp the ends on for you

My thought was the local Lowe's by my house for the ends/crimps and the cable if I couldn't source the cable at the boneyard. I may have to do the upper and lower control arms on a buddies 04 Sport Trac this weekend as well. He'll give me a Glock 26 for the labor, he already has the parts. Good deal for me.

Since I have an auto trans and rarely use the P-brake, I just cut the cable from the old axle and the new axle, and joined them together. I forget the fastener I used but there are plenty of options. Easier than swapping the cable out - I never even took the rear discs off.

I swapped in a 2nd gen rear axle on my last Explorer. I got the gear ratio I wanted, limited slip and disc brakes. Conversion was very easy. I did have to change to a '95 master cylinder made for 4-wheel discs; there's a specific one made that you can buy new and it is set up with correct pressures.

To be honest, after the swap I didn't notice braking performance to be that much better. Weight transfer to the front under heavy braking seemed to negate most of the benefits. Might be different with larger tires (I had 32.5s) or a non-stock suspension setup.

I swapped a 2000 Ex rear end into my 92, I did NOT change my master cylinder and have not had any problems. I have noticed a major improvement over my drum brake rear end. No problems at all with the 92 master cylinder, I was kind of shocked. I still don't have a parking brake, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to hook it up.

Finally did the conversion using a donor axle from a 95 X. Couldn't be happier! Stops on a dime and doesn't lock up anymore. Intermediate cable was the issue. I just deleted it and replaced it with a couple of fence turnbuckle that I can get a full 6 inches of adjustment out of. My X is turning into Franken Truck. Trans from 93 ranger, x-fer from 92 bronco ii, and disks from a 95. Where to go now, not sure. Love this truck!!

finally did the conversion using a donor axle from a 95 x. Couldn't be happier! Stops on a dime and doesn't lock up anymore. Intermediate cable was the issue. I just deleted it and replaced it with a couple of fence turnbuckle that i can get a full 6 inches of adjustment out of. My x is turning into franken truck. Trans from 93 ranger, x-fer from 92 bronco ii, and disks from a 95. where to go now, not sure. love this truck!!

5.0! You'll love it even more.

Finally did the conversion using a donor axle from a 95 X. Couldn't be happier! Stops on a dime and doesn't lock up anymore. Intermediate cable was the issue. I just deleted it and replaced it with a couple of fence turnbuckle that I can get a full 6 inches of adjustment out of. My X is turning into Franken Truck. Trans from 93 ranger, x-fer from 92 bronco ii, and disks from a 95. Where to go now, not sure. Love this truck!!

The Transfer from the Bronco ii is that a manual one? I would like to go to a manual transfer. I like the automatic one but I have always had a manual transfer. By the way do you have any pictures? :)

Sorry, no pics. It's the same exact fit as the electronic shift. I just left the original wiring hanging there and made the hole in the floor plate larger. Be sure to get all of the linkage and the shifter with it. Try to get the floor plate as well. I also disconnected the push button control in the dash. I could take a pic if the finished project and send them to you in an email. I can't post pics on the forum. I also got the manual hubs from the 92 Bronco II. Bought the conversion kit from O'Reilly Auto Parts (Mile Marker I believe) for around $50.

On a side note, Dan, already working on getting a rolling chassis with the 5.0. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Back