Failure to Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Failure to Start

Bob Explorer 200

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Yesterday I got into I'm my 2002 Explorer (RWD only) and, when I turned the key, nothing happened--no ignition, no dashboard meters or lights responded, nothing. When I checked the dome light and headlight, and they were not woking either. A friend volunteered to give me a jump start and it started immediately and it has continued to start since then. Naturally, I don't want to run into that problem again, maybe in a worse situation where no help is at hand.

Do any of you guys have any ideas as to what might be causing this failure to start with no apparent juice at all? It was fairly warm yesterday around here and I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. I've tried checking under the hood and under the dashboard; have found no dangling wires or any other obvious clues but am not all that sure what to check or look for.

Any help here will be very much appreciated.

Bob

I'd start with removing the battery cables from the battery and cleaning them with a battery brush. Regardless of whether or not you see any obvious corrosion.

Thanks Number4. I took your advice and cleaned up the posts and cables. There was some visible corrosion on the interior surface of one of the terminals, so I'm hoping this will solve the problem. I appreciate the help.

Back