Fake PIAA? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fake PIAA?

Alright i have looked and looked and cant find what i am looking for! ok so i have a grille guard that has a pair of the PIAA 520 series Ion crystal lights. Now that was a gift to me so i didnt have to pay out the butt for them so my question is is there another company that makes ion crystal lights or the yellowish lights that i can use for my roof rack i will be getting? If so i plan on buying some PIAA covers to match and i really am trying to avoid buying PIAA because of the price

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

catz, i think they are even made by piaa without breaking the bank. Also you can search on ebay for ion lens lights or other things around that and you should be able to find some good but cheap lights. good luck with your search:thumbsup:

As the addage goes... You get what you pay for.

I have a friend that got knockoffs from ebay, and the wriring almost torched his truck.

That doesn't even say the quality, if the bulbs go, do you need to replace the whole unit?

-mc

usually the bulbs and the housing are separate. And I have run a few set of ebay lights, the important thing is just to fuse, and if your running a lot relay and fuse. I have more auxilary fuses on my car than I have stock it seems like haha, but for the extra few cents id rather be safe:D

Are the lights for use or appearance? I took my PIAAs off, and replaced them with flat lights from another store. The PIAAs are too expensive to play with... 4wheelparts is a good place to start. And there are some not so expensive PIAAs also...

catz, i think they are even made by piaa without breaking the bank. Also you can search on ebay for ion lens lights or other things around that and you should be able to find some good but cheap lights. good luck with your search:thumbsup:

Catz are made by FET. I have a set on my motorcycle and they are a great light.

Are the lights for use or appearance? I took my PIAAs off, and replaced them with flat lights from another store. The PIAAs are too expensive to play with... 4wheelparts is a good place to start. And there are some not so expensive PIAAs also...

well looks primarily and then when i do go offroading it would be nice to have a decent light without paying out the butt ya know?

55w pepbys

these look brighter than the PIAAs i have... and they are smaller.

these look brighter than the PIAAs i have... and they are smaller.

hmm well i am leaning towards takin the PIAA of the grille guard and putting up on roof rack and buy a second set of 520 and buy some off brand lights to put on grille guard. The money i get back from taxes is going to this so when ever i get that back this will all happen

The Pilot brand of lights they sell at Autozone/Advance and even wallyworld for $20-30 are the knockoffs of the PIAAs, although some of their newer designs are much cheaper looking than their earlier models which were almost direct copies.

You can get quality brands of lights for much less than PIAA, too. There are TONS of lights that are similar to the 520's, and much, much better. Walmart sells Hella's 500 and 500FF driving lights for ~$50 (no grille, though), KC makes the exact same light as the 520 except the logo on the grille says "KC" instead of "PIAA", and theres plenty of cheaper large round lights from Pilot.

Back