• Register Today It's free!

False Battery Light???

herebyproxy

Reaction score
City, State
Luthersville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
About 2 miles from my house I noticed the battery light on and the battery guage at the low end of the range. I returned home and tried to crank the splorer and it cranked with what seemed to be a full battery.

I took the battery out and had it checked and it was as good as a new one.

I reinstalled the battery and I left for my mechanic's garage thinking it had to be the alternator. About 5 minutes from the garage after driving about 45 miles the battery light went out and the guage went back to the middle where it belongs.........Any ideas???

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alternator is bad.

Most likely this is the case. Remove (its very easy) and take it to Autozone for testing.

I would say that alternator is likely "going" bad. If it's starting to fail, bench test may still show it as good. If your closest mechanic is 45 miles away, probably best to go ahead and replace it. Good luck.

Verdict: Alternator bad

Thanks guys for the input.....my mechanic took it off and bench tested it.....intermittent at best...lol

My splorer is a happy camper with a new alternator and I am not a happy camper with a leaner wallet...lol

I really love driving this thing so I guess I'll continue to let it nickel and dime me........

My splorer is a happy camper with a new alternator and I am not a happy camper with a leaner wallet...lol

I really love driving this thing so I guess I'll continue to let it nickel and dime me........
I know the pain you are talking about since I had to replace the alternator once on my 2004 Ranger 4*4. That year Ford had two different ones, and of course I had the more expensive one. Dealer wanted $495 + tax to replace, but luckily, a buddy did it for cost + $100. It still cost me nearly $250.

i defiantly know the nickle and dime feeling. its on going when miles and age get up there

well it may feel like you're getting nickle/dimed, but compare what spend in a year on repairs to a new car payment. usually, "it's cheaper to keep her".

This is the philosophy I use too. I like to add up whatever money I spend for repairs in a year, then divide by 12. As long as it's WELL below what it costs to lease a new Explorer, than you're in the gold.

and it's being eco-friendly by keeping all that plastic and other non-recyclable material out of the landfills!

Excellent Points!

Thanks guys...I agree

Back