• Register Today It's free!

famous whine

jj0489

Reaction score
City, State
Kalamazoo MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have been on the forums for years. Usually I find exactly the problem I have and the fix for it. But I am on my 3rd Explorer (98', 99', and now a 02') and I can't seem to find the exact problem I have in a simular post.

So I have a whine every time I press the gas no matter the gear. Even in neutral or park. While the truck is idling it has a faint whine. The whine noise increases with throttle pressure, the harder it accelerates the louder it is (regardless of gear).

I drive a 2002 EB V8 4.6L.

If there is already a fix for this, my mistake, but I've searched for a few days and I seem to only get whine posts at certain speeds or only when towing. Mine seems to be coming from the front end, engine area under the hood, Like a belt or something. If anyone has a post like this please direct me, otherwise any helpful info will be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the alternator bearing is going out.

remove the serpentine belt and spin the pulley, if it' has a bad bearing, you'll hear it.
If you spin it and hear nothing, it's something else.

In this video, I have two alternators (both new BTW) the first one, where the video starts, makes absolutely no noise. The second alternator sounds horrid. Note, on the car, the bad alternator sounded more like a supercharger than what it does in the video, due to load from the belt and the RPMs.

http://youtu.be/XTAMvDIdJzk

Sounds like the alternator bearing is going out.

remove the serpentine belt and spin the pulley, if it' has a bad bearing, you'll hear it.
If you spin it and hear nothing, it's something else.

Thank you for the fast response. I'll try this tomorrow after work and get back to you. I have saw this in other post but no one I saw posted about neutral and park.

PS the video is marked private

Thank you for the fast response. I'll try this tomorrow after work and get back to you. I have saw this in other post but no one I saw posted about neutral and park.

If it's an alternator noise, it should do it at all times.

LOL seems we are editing and reposting the same time. I tried the video but it was private

It ended up being the belt tensioner itself. I couldn't feel any difference or hear any difference in my pullies, so I put it back together and took it to the local shop. They used a stethoscope and the only noise was coming from the tensioner itself. 150 bones out the door.

Back