Mutineer

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4X4
Callsign
FLOYD
I am making the Mutineer my sole Off road vehicle, and I am looking into the following mods to happen very soon:

dual yellow-top Optima batteries

Hanneman Fiberglass 4 inch bulge front fenders and hood
4 inch bulge fiberglass rear fenders (if Y'all can help me find some)

8 point roll cage and both bumpers, to be custom fabbed

I want to do a SAS, will a Dana 44 work or should it be a 60?

Has anyone tried Rockwells yet? I have a set from my fallen project, but I got to modify them (center the front...etc)

Any help I can get here would be great, as I am having trouble finding aftermarket parts for my '97 glorified Expy.

Thanks Yall, Youre about to see me get alot more active on here :D

Daniel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what size tires are you planning on running?.....if your going to go with a 42 then i would say D60 but for maby up to 38's the D44 should be fine. As for the rockwells check out Full Foot Notches thread. And take a peak at 034x4's i think he is going to go to rockwells with 44's.

Try perrys fab and fiber for your fiberglass needs, they sponsor this site. Yes a Dana 44 would be fine, there's a whole section just for sas on this site with tons of info. And I think Full foot notch is putting rockwells under his explorer, but I'm not sure if it's finished yet. Good luck with your project.

Axle choice will depend on what tire you plan on running. I'd say a decently built d44 with 37" or so tires would work...but if your wanting to run bigger and you're not a finese driver...maybe a d60 would be better. But it would also matter as to what terrain your gonna be running.

As far as rocks go..i've thought about it...alot. THere would be a butt load of fab work to be done, new crossmembers etc to clear the center section. You'd also have to lift it alot just to fit the center section in there. If your looking for a huge tire though, it would work but it would be more work. When I was thinking about it I had thought about relocating the radiator to the rear to provide alittle extra room, as well as push the axle up a few inches. That chucks trucks in florida has explorers on rockwells so it HAS been done before! Personally i think for a trail rig, keeping the height down is pretty important though..

Personally i'd keep the rocks and start building a tube buggy hehe

I dont really want to run any bigger than a 37" tire. I want to be able to run the trails, and maybe some moderate rock crawling.

I dont thing the Rockwells will fit my project needs, I want to be able to drive it normally when needed.

Right now I have new 33's so thats what Ill be running for a while.

Sounds like a D44 will work just fine.

I cant afford coilovers, so I believe I will be using leaves, I have a set of good ones from my last project.

I want to do the fiberglass first, at least the front. I will check those threads and start compiling info for the final plan, should be sweet.

Thanks Yall and any ohter thoughts are VERY welcome!!

Back