final clarification needed please?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

final clarification needed please?!

(first of all, I'm getting 31x10.5x15 tires and 15x8 wheel)

I'm constantly running into conflicting articles about wheel offset and backspacing. Without getting the typical (3.75 backspacing is what you need) lecture. Can somebody clear things up for me? First I've read backspacing and offset is basically the same. I seen the rock crawler wheels on Summit that say 3.75 backspacing and offset -19mm. But then I seen some other wheels with some far off backspacing and offset was -19mm.
So does this mean, a wheel with the correct lug pattern, size, etc.. with a -19mm will fit the same as one with 3.75 backspacing?

Also, would a 3.5 backspacing wheel fit without as much trouble as a 3.25? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 3.75 is the best fit for the explorer, it minimizes rub as much as possible...

Backspacing is the measure from the back side of the wheel to the hub of the wheel. Offset is the measure from the centerline of the wheel to the hub of the wheel. On an 8-inch wheel 3.75-inch backspacing is the same as a negative 0.25-inch (-6mm). 4" backspacing = 0 offset.

This is what I mean by confusion... LOL... As stated, the US Wheels black wheel that people from here seem to buy from Summit, says the backspacing is 3.75 but under that it says Offset is -19mm... That is where I'm lost, so basically you're saying that a -19mm will NOT fit properly on my Exploder using 31 inch tires?

i dont think that link is right =|

As already stated backspacing and offset are not the same. Here is a diagram of a rim's anatomy.
18205backspacing.jpg

Here is a chart showing a stock tire/wheel vs an 33x12.5 tire on 8" and 10" rims. As you can see the 8" rim locates the tire in a position closest to OEM. This positon mimimizes clearance problems and the need for more extensive trimming.
18205Tires2-med.jpg

your putting too much thought into it...

start with a stock size 15x7 wheel with 4.5" BS.

Ok, you want a wheel that is one inch wider, so you want the BS to be near 1" lower than 4.5"... 3.75" is .75" lower, which is very close, which means your new wheel will only go into the wheel well .25" further.

If you know what the backspacing is, then you dont really need ot know the off-set.

Also, you said that you see alot of people here buy those wheels, so you KNOW they fit, it shouldnt take second thought.

Subscribin so I can find this easier next time.

Back