Finally Have Some Halo/projector Heaadlights, now . . . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally Have Some Halo/projector Heaadlights, now . . .

emrldnrgh

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach , Calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2K Ex. XLT 'Ema'
I have two problems/questions . . . .
1. The original Park/Signal light bulbs were amber/orange coated, which were 3157As, I Beleive? But I don't want the Amber/orange glow. I went to local autoparts store (4 diff. ones in the long run) and bought 2 pairs of 3157s no A. Came home, installed into housing (feelin' pretty cool right now), reach in turned lights on walk back around front and WTF ? The Clear bulbs are Glowing Amber/Orange, I Want White ! Any solutions folks? I'm thinking maybe Brake/Tailight bulbs? Don't know their #s.

2. The low beam bulbs don't seem very bright and when I turn on High Beams the low go off. That's not right is it?

Many thanks for any Help , Mel' :dunno: :smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty sure the bulbs are clear or white or whatever.. but the lens for the headlight is tinted orange to give it that color..

These are Spyders which have a 1"X2
' approx. ambr./ org. reflctr. on each far side, I might see the ambr./ org. glow there but not across the top, there is no rflctr., tint, or color, up there.

i dont know how to read that but do you have a link to the spyder headlights you bought?

The stock headlight setup only allowed for the low beam to be on or the high beam to be on, not both..... Well I guess both could be on when you use the flash to pass function, but not as a normal driving function.

If you installed a pair of relays to power the headlights with then you could add a diode from the control wire for the high beam relay to the control line of the low beam relay and both would be on.

BTW, it is pretty amazing how much more light you get by using the relays. For me I tested the relays on my stock headlights and then replaced the stock headlights with the projection headlights. The relays made a very noticeable difference in the illumination. I would say about half way between the stock without relays and the projectors with the relays. I didn't test the projectors without the relays so I can't say how that is.

Link????
Pics?????

your hi beam and low beam are the same bulb.. so you cant have both on at the same time.. with your projectors it should have a flap that covers some of the bulb when the lo beam is on than the flap goes away when the hi beam is on so the bulb can shine higher and further..

Those must be different projectors than my setup. In mine the low beams are projectors and the high beams are reflectors. Both use a singe bulb.

I think you may be thinking of an HID retrofit kit that incorporated hi/low beam provision.

BTW, I have ran high and low beams at the same time on standard and "off road only" wattage halogen H4 bulbs with very little effect to the life span of the bulbs. I think the highest wattage I have tried this on was 80W/100W bulbs. Every 80W/130W bulb I have ever used has died in short time even without running low/high on at the same time. The 80W/100W live for years even with the abuse of both low and high running at the same time when on high beam.

ok... with normal headlights, high and low are one bulb, and as such, low turns off when high is turned on.

I have halo projectors in both our explorers, the stock bulbs are garbage, swap in a good quality HID kit, I have beemers kits in both of our explorers

I also ran a fused relay so that when the high beam is selected, it will ignite the low beam, causing both lights to illuminate.

Hope that helps

Si

After three days of dilly dallin' I fingered out my parking / signal light problem, turns out like the man said. . . 3157As are colored amber/ orange & burn amber/orange . . 3157s No A are Clear but burn amber/orange UNLES we buy the Silverstar Ultras which are clear and burn White, that's what I wanted EVERYTHING burns White! :D Oh, yeah I changed the eyebrow light to green 194s, So Cool! . . BRONCHOLE did you change your headlihts to what you explained or leave them as purchased? I kinda figured that one out as the 1st & 2nd Gens. are a dual headlight system and we went to Quad sys, right ?:eek: The whole thing is coming back out this weekend to put new ten bar grille and a back lit green neon behind it. Maybe some LEDs down in the valance airhole, yeah guys ? . . Thanks for the info & hope I threw some back , Mel :smoke:

Back