Finally Ordered them! General lighting mod thread. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally Ordered them! General lighting mod thread.

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Finally Ordered them! General lighting mod thread. Headlights now in!!!

So I finally ordered my blacked out head lights, that are not Halos. I am going for the blacked out look on my Explorer. I got them on Ebay for $140, with free shipping. Cannot wait to get them!

First of many lighting mods I am doing this summer.

2ap0u1.jpg

My Previous Lighting Mod, some Hella 550's!

k0k4ux.jpg

Feel free to share your experiences, or pictures, can you tell that I am excited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man i want those fender flares!! The head lights look Bad A$$. Hope to see them on. I need new ones so post how durable they are.

Man i want those fender flares!! The head lights look Bad A$$. Hope to see them on. I need new ones so post how durable they are.

Thanks man, Those Fender flares cam on all Eddie Bauer Explorers, and you could probably get some off of a Junk Yard truck, and put it on yours in a weekend. I for sure plan on posting Everything about them, because there are not too many reviews about them.

Yea I really like those head lights. My dad has a set on his blacked out explorer and I keep trying to steal them for him. LOL I want to get a set and retro fit projectors in them.

Very cool!

What are you doing with your old lights? Mine are a bit hazy and wouldn't mind a clearer set...

Yea I really like those head lights. My dad has a set on his blacked out explorer and I keep trying to steal them for him. LOL I want to get a set and retro fit projectors in them.

I am seriously considering doing that to these. Just sort of afraid of melting them in the oven. but we'll see how much time/money I have during the summer.

Very cool!

What are you doing with your old lights? Mine are a bit hazy and wouldn't mind a clearer set...

I usually just keep them, in case I sell the truck, or like mentioned above I melt them in the oven.

Those are the same headlights I had. I loved the look of them, and the quality is very high for aftermarket pieces. My only complaint was the beam pattern. Not that it wasn't useable, just that it wasn't as good as OEM.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them though.

Those are the same headlights I had. I loved the look of them, and the quality is very high for aftermarket pieces. My only complaint was the beam pattern. Not that it wasn't useable, just that it wasn't as good as OEM.

I plan on trying a few different light options to see what works out best. I have been really happy with my Siverstar Ultras. I hear good things about the Phillips lights, but I also see these $7 blue glass 9007 at Harbor Freight that have really good reviews, We'll see what works best, but since most of the reflective surface is now blacked out, I guess I cannot expect too much more light output. Like i said above, I most likely do a Projector retrofit, but it may not be for a few months.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad. I just do a lot of driving in the middle of nowhere and don't feel the need to put an HID projector retrofit. I'm not real fond of HIDs in places where there are a lot of deer or other wildlife. Low CRI is not a good deal with animals' natural camouflage.

I have the same headlights in my rig as well. I LOVE the look. The liight output/beam pattern could be better, like FIND said, but overall they have held up extremely well and I am very happy. I even drilled into mine and installed strobes.

Has anyone experienced condensation buildup with these?

I can second this. Used HIDs with them, IMO sucked. Regular bulbs are fine, not OEM good but usable. And they look bad ass.

I have them as well, and as stated above the pattern is so so. I also installed some Silver Star Ultras, that help out alot but since i had the ultras in my stock housing i can say even with the ultras in the black housing they still lack in the pattern. But i plan on sending them off to have them retrofitted with a Hi/Low beam projector and HID's.

Can I get a link to these? :S

Can I get a link to these? :S

Here is one, there are many more, just look up what every year explorer you have and type, black headlights, they should come up.

Headlights!

Has anyone experienced condensation buildup with these?

Yeah, I had one light that got a little water in it. Just take it off and dry it out with a blow dryer.

So instead of doing multiple threads about my lighting upgrades, I am just doing them all here. So I got my new License Plate light covers, and LEDs! I also made a stop to Harbor Freight, and got a few Goodies for my light bar, and some of those $7 lights I talked about above.

Pictures:

LEDs $6.99 of Ebay, Lights I want to say where $4 off of Rock Auto
289zvqh.jpg

Part number if anybody wants it.
v5fo6q.jpg

Close up of the LED, I wasn't sure how much room was in the light housing so I got the smallest one.
16i6pvo.jpg

Harbor Freight Lights, $6.99 Each... Similar to the HID look a likes that are 5 times the price.
2urm49y.jpg

Close up of them.
35ldlvs.jpg

Harbor Freight Off Road Lights, $12.99 Each. Glass Lenses.
wqsx0l.jpg

Like I said, alot of lighting upgrade to my Explorer this year, also Still waiting on the head lights, they at least arrived into IL today, so I will either have them tomorrow, or Monday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely want a picture of just the headlights on with the black housing and those bulbs!

Back