Finally re gearing rear end. what do i need? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally re gearing rear end. what do i need?

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
alright guys, i have finally recieved about 300 dollars and am planning on regearing my 3.08 to 3.73 i need to know what i need. i was thinking that all i needed was to give the guy gears and shims but do i need an install kit to give the mechanic. i already have the gears and i was quoted around 300 dollars for the install.. any help will be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a master install kit (bearings, seals, shims) is recommended

That seems like a good price for regearing...if you have a 4WD keep in mind you'll want to regear the front diff too.

no just 2wd is that kit necessary or can i just take the gears to the guy and have him take care of the rest?

When you change the diff or gears, you need to adjust the gear contact play. What's the magic term? The ideal clearance is about 9-11 thousandths of an inch. To make the adjustment, different diff shims are used to move the diff left or right.

Make sure that a quality shim kit is used. I have used the good kind, and they cost about $30. Call around to bigger shops to find them. Some places carry a cheaper kind, and they were also about $30. I'd avoiid the cheaper kind, they don't look as well built. I've dealt with Reider Racing several times in the past.

If you have low mileage on the truck now, and no rear diff residue in the grease, you might reuse the diff bearings. But if you plan to put a lot more miles on it, or you already have a lot of wear on the diff, install new bearings. I'd love to get paid $300 labor for that job. Here $150 is normal, good luck.
DonW

what are you using the truck for, why not go with 4.10s?

im just using the truck for daily driving not much off road if at all... im using 3.73 because i got them used from leetz of this site and since im not gonna go up in tire size i decided it would be a good buy so now im finally putting them in or getting some one to put them in. did you say that 150 is the normal price for installing gears? i was also quoted 400 and 200 but i still havent decided who im gonna use and im still looking for better prices. all i really know is that im not gonna pay 400 for that job when quoted 200

You're gonna need some awl

Awl ?

I'd suggest Mobil 1

i think 200 dollars is about as good as its gonna get for re-gearing

i just spend... 1600 dollars on new gears, a detroit locker and a trutrac.. i aint payin for no one to do it too

Back