first gen 2 door doglegs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

first gen 2 door doglegs?

Is anyone making these anymore? Any chatter about someone making them ever? I really want to save my ex but can't get the doglegs. I paid a body shop over $700 about 6 years ago and there are bubbles under that side and the other side has a big hole through the outer skin. Has anyone used a corner from the rear door of a 4 door to patch this area? Seems like with the popularity of these 'sploders that someone would be repoping and selling them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of all the body repair sites I've looked at, none carry that body panel for the 2 dr. I found the 2 dr rocker panels, but not the rear section. Getting some 16-18 ga. sheet metal, cutting out the rusted part, then cutting and welding it in to fit works great and costs much, much less than a replacement would anyway.

I plan on welding it all in myself BUT I have no equipment for forming the metal. I would like to get the contours right. I t looks like a pretty complex series of bends.

I was hopping to get a preformed patch. I have no fabrication skills and there look to be a lot of complex bends and contors. I do plan on doing the welding myself though.

BTW, anyone who quotes The Big Fella is alright in my book. Slainte.

I think you could probably get the 4 dr dogleg like you mentioned, and then use sheet metal to make the flat face part of the panel. I fabricated it from sheet metal, and while it's not show-quality perfect, it's fine for an on/off-road rig.

You could also ask around at body shops, perhaps get a quote from them, and then ask if they would be repairing it by welding in a whole new panel. If they can get one, then surely it's available.

have u looked at this site before ??
.hthttp://raybuck.com/wsm/c-142_1991-1994_ford_explorer.html[/url][/URL] :salute: :salute:

Actually, I was thinking of using the lower rear corners from the rear doors of a four door. Cutting them off and using the skins for dog leg repairs on my two door explorer. Seems like the contours and body lines should be close. Any thoughts?

Back