Fit 2 mufflers photos?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fit 2 mufflers photos??

As I recall, the bottom of the Flowmasters were about 1" below the frame rail, and they were center inlet, offset outlet removed from my '89 Mustang. As said - "as I recall". With age I'm finding I recall less and less about more and more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So spoke to the folks at Borla today and they seem to think this would be ok - but thought I'd run it again here. Here is my existing Saleen Borla system installed. It is a dual inlet - single outlet. I have a 2nd Saleen Borla System.

I intend to cap one of the inlets of the existing system and run the pipe going into that one into the second Borla system that also has one inlet capped. The tailpipe of that 2nd system will run along side at out the back beside the existing pipe. I assume I will have to stack both mufflers at an angle as has been mentioned here or perhaps there is a way to stagger them??

I hope that capping one inlet will be ok. Borla said their mufflers are straight through with not obstruction so ??

FAEEA719-A69B-4A74-B3D1-5C339BA084B0.jpeg 262423545_1768935556649541_6402915578932152807_n.jpg

The muffler space is about three feet, and those are fairly long mufflers. So staggering them would be tough, one would be forward a lot.

BTW, have you heard of the 1/4 wave resonator pipes? Some people have installed extra piping which dead ends, for a particular length it reduces droning at a certain rpm/ You might just add a length of pipe from each of those inlets, ending each with a cap. I recall lengths mentioned being 24-28" or near that. The 1/4 wave pipes don't have to have any special shape, they can be straight, or curved and routed anywhere. The Corral is where I read that thread about them, it seemed like most people realized a small sound change/reduction.

Yeah, that's a resonator, which are like a small straight through muffler. I plan to leave it out with my first exhaust step, and see how loud it really is. Then I'll try my luck at making a Helmholtz chamber, which is what's inside OEM mufflers to reduce sound.

Yeah, that's a resonator, which are like a small straight through muffler. I plan to leave it out with my first exhaust step, and see how loud it really is. Then I'll try my luck at making a Helmholtz chamber, which is what's inside OEM mufflers to reduce sound.
I’ll probably leave it in. What do you think about my idea of capping off one of the inlets on each muffler and then maybe putting them side-by-side at an angle and running the single tail pipe from eqch out the back passenger side. I’ll have both matching tips right together there. Might be easier than trying to run one over to the driver side and having to deal with whatever would come up with unequal exhaust length

CF2E270C-2A5E-46C0-834F-64BB4419C3E4.png

If you are bound and determined to have a Borla setup, have you checked to see if they make a Dual in/Dual out muffler that would work? In the 90's Tbirds (which have VERY limited space underneath) we used to run a Magnaflow DI/DO muffler in place of the third Cat then run the pipes parallel to each other around the gas tank and around the rear diff separating to exit out the back.

I’ll probably leave it in. What do you think about my idea of capping off one of the inlets on each muffler and then maybe putting them side-by-side at an angle and running the single tail pipe from eqch out the back passenger side. I’ll have both matching tips right together there. Might be easier than trying to run one over to the driver side and having to deal with whatever would come up with unequal exhaust length

View attachment 424797

That will look good to have both tips side by side, and it might be easier to get around the right leaf spring and shock, versus the left side brake line etc.

If you are bound and determined to have a Borla setup, have you checked to see if they make a Dual in/Dual out muffler that would work? In the 90's Tbirds (which have VERY limited space underneath) we used to run a Magnaflow DI/DO muffler in place of the third Cat then run the pipes parallel to each other around the gas tank and around the rear diff separating to exit out the back.
Only determined to keep my existing Borla and add the 2nd Borla because they both came off Saleen XP8s If these systems didn't come from the actual XP8's (with their unique machine gun tips) then I probably would be doing something completely different. I know not everyone would understand or agree with this.... but for me it's what I have in my head that I wanted to do.

That will look good to have both tips side by side, and it might be easier to get around the right leaf spring and shock, versus the left side brake line etc.
Yes, I am thinking the two tips side by side will probably look nice

269688623_2081286932038911_3041301252834604778_n.jpg

So had another look at where the tailpipe comes out with my existing Saleen XP8 Borla Exhaust. It is pretty close to the leaf spring mounting point and not sure if there would be enough room to squeeze another pipe in that spot. I'd want to put the 2nd pipe inboard and not on the outboard side and I do not want to change the positioning of the 1st system's pipe. I'll post a photo later.

I'll still talk to the exhaust guy, but might need to go ahead and run the 2nd system to come out at the same place on the driver's side. One question is are there any concerns with the exhaust length being different between the 1st and 2nd system since the 2nd one will be longer due to running all the way over to the driver's side?

The engine never has any perception of what happens after the collectors of the headers. The only thing that matters for an effect on the engine, is airflow, thus the restriction, nothing else. So the length for any branch is meaningless, only the restriction created matters. So feel free to run the exhaust any way that you need to.The factory exhaust is already longer on the left branch, it goes from left to right under the trans to reach the right pipe, and then go back alongside it.

Concentrate on airflow, try to create a flow along the entire path for all sections, which is equivalent to a 2.5" pipe, or bigger or smaller based on the power level. The power you have now can make good use of 2.5" pipes, cats, mufflers, connections, collectors etc. The tail pipes are far back from the engine, the exhaust will be much cooler then, versus the cat pipes. So those could be a size smaller and still flow well enough.

The engine never has any perception of what happens after the collectors of the headers. The only thing that matters for an effect on the engine, is airflow, thus the restriction, nothing else. So the length for any branch is meaningless, only the restriction created matters. So feel free to run the exhaust any way that you need to.The factory exhaust is already longer on the left branch, it goes from left to right under the trans to reach the right pipe, and then go back alongside it.

Concentrate on airflow, try to create a flow along the entire path for all sections, which is equivalent to a 2.5" pipe, or bigger or smaller based on the power level. The power you have now can make good use of 2.5" pipes, cats, mufflers, connections, collectors etc. The tail pipes are far back from the engine, the exhaust will be much cooler then, versus the cat pipes. So those could be a size smaller and still flow well enough.
Will the different length have any effect on sound though? What about running an X-Pipe or H-Pipe. Is it recommended? If so, what and where?

The sound is mostly an affect of the tail pipe sizes and outlet locations(louder under the body), the muffler type, and barely by the cross over union. With the pipes close and parallel, you can easily add any kind of cross over along that section. I think I'd leave it out for now, the extra muffler will cut the flow in half, and might end up being a hair quieter and/or deeper. Maybe more engine airflow later might push enough to need something else then.

I really like the stock sound myself, it's very audible but not loud at all. No of course it doesn't sound really wild or powerful, I just appreciate the subtlety of the OEM muffler. It's not annoyingly too quiet, it's just right for a stock engine. My 99 4.0 V6 I put one straight through Edelbrock muffler in it, and that's louder than stock, but also changed the V6 sound for the better.

I'd say now you have the one muffler and tail pipe as the biggest restriction. With a 2nd one installed, then the cat pipes will be the next weak link, the headers being a constant small header size.

The sound is mostly an affect of the tail pipe sizes and outlet locations(louder under the body), the muffler type, and barely by the cross over union. With the pipes close and parallel, you can easily add any kind of cross over along that section. I think I'd leave it out for now, the extra muffler will cut the flow in half, and might end up being a hair quieter and/or deeper. Maybe more engine airflow later might push enough to need something else then.

I really like the stock sound myself, it's very audible but not loud at all. No of course it doesn't sound really wild or powerful, I just appreciate the subtlety of the OEM muffler. It's not annoyingly too quiet, it's just right for a stock engine. My 99 4.0 V6 I put one straight through Edelbrock muffler in it, and that's louder than stock, but also changed the V6 sound for the better.
Here is my sound now with 1 Saleen Borla Exhaust on Big White

Understood about the crossover. I'll also post what the exhaust guy recommends too.

Mine is a 2 in 2 out but it seemed most practical. In Cali they would not remove my second set of cats. But they can be taken out and you wont throw codes I am told.

1641136812474.jpeg

1641136861183.jpeg

1641136879563.jpeg

1641136930209.jpeg

I wanted the left and right exits. I kept the 2.25 pipe size unfortunately the 2.5 would not fit around shocks / spare. But the original pipes are 2.25 and with it coming out full duals the engine is not putting out enough power to need more. There is a long thread about exhaust sizes vs horse power and I still think some using 3” exhaust or bigger are over sizing. A 2.25 or 2.5 dual is ideal unless you can manage to hit 300hp.

Now you've really got me tempted to go with a DI/DO setup on my truck. I used the same setup on my Tbird and it sounded great. I don't have a spare underneath so I could run the pipes higher up, out of the way.

Exhaust Routing photos please

Getting reading to install the driver's side of a true dual exhaust system on my 2000 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 and have been trying to find some photos of the driver's side pipe routing.

The 1st picture is what I am trying to accomplish that will route the driver's side high and behind the spare - allowing the spare to be kept.

Not sure who's truck it is - but this apparently is exactly what I need. I really do not want to lose the ability to have the spare or have the pipe cover up the diff and swaybar like on one of other photos in the previous posts.

I have availability to have piping mandrel bent with no issues.

Does anyone have any photos of how best to route the driver's side? I know there are concerns with the fuel lines, air suspension, etc that the owner of the truck in the 1st photo seemed to deal with - just cannot find anymore photos of his setup.

Thanks in advance.

dual_exhaust_with_spare.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust Routing photos please

Getting reading to install the driver's side of a true dual exhaust system on my 2000 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 and have been trying to find some photos of the driver's side pipe routing.

The 1st picture is what I am trying to accomplish that will route the driver's side high and behind the spare - allowing the spare to be kept.

Not sure who's truck it is - but this apparently is exactly what I need. I really do not want to lose the ability to have the spare or have the pipe cover up the diff and swaybar like on one of other photos in the previous posts.

I have availability to have piping mandrel bent with no issues.

Does anyone have any photos of how best to route the driver's side? I know there are concerns with the fuel lines, air suspension, etc that the owner of the truck in the 1st photo seemed to deal with - just cannot find anymore photos of his setup.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 425496
The pics I posted the spare tire re-mounts and clears it looks like the mounty pic you posted has the similar pipe route as mine, you can see the exhaust behind the rear-diff. The problem with that route is closer to your fuel lines.

Back