Fitting 35's

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok I am trying to get new tires for the ST but it just looks like 35's will not fit up front at all. So for those who have them (35's) can you show me what you trimmed? Did you cut the fender and inner metal fenders? I know the plastic may need some trimming. I figured with 8" of lift 35's would be easy.

Thanks,
Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can also look up Johnstone since he has some exprience lifting Sport tracs :cool:

Actually, I'll be in St. Louis Oct. 17th-19th if ya want to look just at it That was I can take a look at your coilover swap too :D

That sounds great!! When it gets closer let me know and we can meet up.

My sensible side is thinking I should just go ahead and use 33's, but the other side is telling me "Go Big" and get 35's.. :confused:

I just found out that I can save over 400.00 if I go with the 33's. So it looks like I will take that route. I am just not sure if 1.5" of added clearance is worth carving up the fenders, and putting more stress on the CV's.

Was going to get the new BFG KM2, but the Cooper STT's are on sale.

Chad

not a ST but 37's on 5" lift

47b7ce29b3127ccebd0ccca4eedd00000026100JcNGrZk4Yg

I just found out that I can save over 400.00 if I go with the 33's. So it looks like I will take that route. I am just not sure if 1.5" of added clearance is worth carving up the fenders, and putting more stress on the CV's.

Was going to get the new BFG KM2, but the Cooper STT's are on sale.

Chad

I honestly think that 35s will look a lot better with the Superlift and a bodylift. 33s would be fine with one or the other lift but not both. Tracs have larger wheel openings and are longer so they need a bigger tire to get the same look as a regular 2-door or 4-door Explorer with 33s. There's a guy that lives down the road from me that has a Trac with just a 3" body lift and a TT/shackles with 33s and they almost look too small.

And where have you been getting prices for tires? When I bought my tires, 35s were only about $100 more total then 33s for the same brand (BFG Muds). I lived in St. Louis for a year when I first had my Trac and thats when I bought the tires that are on it now. The cheapest place I found was SAMS club. I got all four 35x12.5x15 BFG Muds mounted and balanced with tax for around $850. They don't have Coopers but they had Goodyear, BFG and Dunlop Muds.

Do you have 15" or 16" wheels? Mine had 16" wheels on it when I bought it but the tires needed replacing. I actually was able to buy new 15" black steel wheels and 35s for a little cheaper then it would have cost to get tires for the 16" rims that I had. If you like the look of steel wheels (black, chrome or white) you might look into this. (most 15" aluminum wheels wont fir on a Trac due to the brakes)

I have 17" rims. I found another size tire that is a 295/70/17 which is a 34" tire. I just dont want to carve up the truck so 35's can fit. My ST is still extremely clean, and cut free, and want to keep it that way if possible.

Chad

My sensible side is thinking I should just go ahead and use 33's, but the other side is telling me "Go Big" and get 35's.. :confused:

I know the feeling i was at my buddies tire shop today and he had a set of 35" pro comp mud terrains for sale and i really had to resist temptation from buying them:D

I have 17" rims. I found another size tire that is a 295/70/17 which is a 34" tire. I just dont want to carve up the truck so 35's can fit. My ST is still extremely clean, and cut free, and want to keep it that way if possible.

Chad

There is no cutting or trimming required that you can see on the back side of the fenderwell, it's all inside the plastic trim. I can't say for sure if the front bumper will need any trimming since mine isn't stock.

The back didn't need trimmed at all on mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2758 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2758 (Medium).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_2759 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2759 (Medium).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_2754 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2754 (Medium).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 493

Wow, I'd thought you'd had more room with a BL and 4" suspension. I wonder how others fit 35's with just suspension? Lots and lots of cutting sheetmetal? You could get some 34's like you said, or maybe a different offset wheel?

I ordered 34's, and I am starting to think my 700lb springs are not strong enough too. I may go up to 800lb.

Yeah, I think I need to to do some more trimming. I kept breaking my zipties that hold my fenders on this last weekend. :D :salute: :salute: :salute:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 456

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cougar,

You still coming to STL this weekend? I am getting heavier coil springs Friday, and hopefully it will lift the front so the 35's will fit. I would like to see your ST in person.

Chad

Back