Fixed 4x4 motor but broke MAF ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixed 4x4 motor but broke MAF ??

nmos

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
This is on a 92 Explorer 4x4. The other day I was having trouble getting the push button 4x4 to engage 4wd high. After much fussing around I ended up removing the 4x4 shift motor from the transfer case, operating it that way and shifting the transfer case manually with a pair of pliers. After putting it back it seemed to work but near the end of my test drive the check engine light came on and went off several times. After some more driving I did notice an occasional hesitation at freeway speed and it stalled once right after stopping for gas. I thought maybe I'd damaged the VSS or wire leading to it since it's connected to the 4x4 shift motor but the VSS tests OK at the wiring harness. I'd love to probe it at the PCM end but I don't know the correct wires there. I tried pulling the codes and to my surprise I was getting 157 & 158 (MAF). I reset the codes and the 157 came back right away. I cleaned the MAF but no change. With the MAF disconnected It did seem to run better but it was a short drive and the problem was intermittent anyway. I don't see how I could have broken the MAF by fiddling with the 4x4 shift motor but is there something else I could have fried that would masquerade as a MAF failure? I did apply 12V to the 4x4 shift motor while I had it disconnected and it's always possible I made contact with one of the other pins at some point.

So what do you guys think, coincidence or some other problem just pretending to be a MAF problem?

Back