• Register Today It's free!

Flasher problem

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a 96 Explore XLT with a strange flasher problem. I recently replaced both headlight assemblies to use get LED projectors. Since my left turn signal light (and socket) were broken, I replaced them at the same time. Once I did this, my left turn signal started flashing much faster than the right. I assumed that one of the left turn signal bulbs was broken. No luck, they were both fine and they seemed to be just as bright as the bulbs on the right.
I tried replacing the bulb and socket on the right to match the left. No Change. I tried swapping the bulbs and sockets between left and right. No change.
I decided the problem must be with the flasher. I looked for the flasher and found that the clicking noise was coming from a box right next to the battery. The box contained six plastic boxes that looked like relays. The two big ones at the front looked just like the picture of the flasher relay on the Orielly website. I pulled both of them. The Both the right and left turn signals continued to flash with no changes.
I have the factory manual on CD. It gives me a schematic but it does not seem to have the diagram showing where the flashers are located.
My questions are:
1] Where are the flashers for the turn signals?
2] What might be going on here?

Did you replace the left turn signal bulb with an LED or regular direct replacement bulb?

It needs to be the same wattage as the original to have a similar blinking rate. If switching to LED you need an LED electronic flasher module. I don't know the right part #s that would work.

The flasher module might be up in the driver's side of the dash, see the following video:

If you hadn't been swapping things around, I might have first wondered about the steering column mounted, multi-function switch as it can get dried up grease and oxidized copper contacts by this age. They can be opened, cleaned and dielectric-grease lubed, or replaced. 3rd party MFS aren't very expensive, around ~$30. It might also/instead have the contacts pulling out the back of the wire harness connector to it.

Attached is a wiring diagram for further troubleshooting purposes.

Attachments

• exterior-lights-exterior-lamps-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 39

My replacement bulbs were not LEds. They were the same as the broken one that I took out. And, I replaced both sides with new bulbs so I believe that they are the same. I did recently replace my multi-function switch and it doesnt work nearly as well as the original. I will look at that.
Thanks for the video showing where the flasher is located. I will try that next.

Back