• Register Today It's free!

interesting turn signals...

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
So I parked my car outside my apartment and put on my flashers and everything worked. I came outside, turned off my flashers, no problem. Than I went to make a left turn and I noticed that my left flasher is now flashing 2 to 3 times as quickly as it did 20 minutes prior. I checked the right one and that still flashes at the normal pace. I than put my hazards back on to check and they both flash at the same normal pace. My question is, what the heck happened to my left flasher, and how do i fix it. Oh I also noticed that on the left turn signal, the top flashes, but the side does not, but it is on. Im so confused:( Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I parked my car outside my apartment and put on my flashers and everything worked. I came outside, turned off my flashers, no problem. Than I went to make a left turn and I noticed that my left flasher is now flashing 2 to 3 times as quickly as it did 20 minutes prior. I checked the right one and that still flashes at the normal pace. I than put my hazards back on to check and they both flash at the same normal pace. My question is, what the heck happened to my left flasher, and how do i fix it. Oh I also noticed that on the left turn signal, the top flashes, but the side does not, but it is on. Im so confused:( Thanks!

Rapid flashing is usually a burnt out bulb or bad socket.

you have one busted turn bulb.. the one on the side.. busted meaning the flash (25w filament) is busted and the park light still functions..

Take out the corner assembly by popping the hood and then remove the two screws that holds it down.. pull it forward.. it maight be difficult to pull it but it will go..

there is a twist socket on the bottom side.. twist that and pull out the socket with the bulb.. the bulb just pulls out of the socket.. buy another one from an auto parts store.. reverse process and install..

Goodluck!!!

great, I was hoping it was something simple like that. I have pulled my headlights and turn signals out like 40 times so this shouldn't take long. Thanks!

So i finally got around to changing the bulb and unfortunately it made no difference. I thought maybe the bulb i got was bad so i tried another one and again no difference. Is there a relay it could be? I just really don't want to start ripping apart the wiring, but I have a feeling I might have to on my next break from school:(

edit: I saw someone mentioned the socket above, could that go bad in which case I could just pick one up at the junkyard and splice it in?

Yeah... There might be a little corossion in there.

not to rob your thread... but my 4ways are only flashing for a split second at a time when i have them on... cause is?

you are obviously using your truck to plow,,, that is rough on bulbs as the truck can shake pretty bad when the plow hits anything under the snow,, turn on the flashers and look at the lights and see which one is bad,, if it appears that none are bad, look under the back bumper where the wiring harness for the back ones lives, might be the connection,, or it could be a broken wire or the socket is bad, meaning corroded , or rusty ,

yeap checked for the bulb thats not working. replace bulb if that doesnt fix it. get out test light and check the socket for ground and power and go from there. if no ground trace it back to find bad spot. if no power trace that wire back. the socket you should be able to tell if its bad or ok

So i finally got around to changing the bulb and unfortunately it made no difference. I thought maybe the bulb i got was bad so i tried another one and again no difference. Is there a relay it could be? I just really don't want to start ripping apart the wiring, but I have a feeling I might have to on my next break from school:(

edit: I saw someone mentioned the socket above, could that go bad in which case I could just pick one up at the junkyard and splice it in?

You can test it with a testlight, but I have a feeling its a bad socket. I had the same problem on a 96. It comes off the wiring harness with a clip.

Is this the front or rear? If its the rear its inexpensive, I had change from a $10 bill at the Ford dealer, it solved my problem. I think it was a few cents less than Advance at the dealer, I called both to see who had it in stock. The tech was outside watching me install it and said its a common issue, and they charge $40-50 to it (1/2 hr labor + part)!!!

Don't get it at the JY it may have the same issue, and it will probably cost $5 there!

Its the front drivers side side signal. I replaced the bulb 2X and it didn't make a difference. I am guessing it is the socket so I will be picking up 1 or 2 at the junkyard. Today however I was towing my boat and with the added resistance from the trailer lights it blinked normally haha.

Back