• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O/D Light in '97

wis_girl

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
This has been occuring for the last couple years.
It doesn't flash all the time, but once every 3-6 months.
It'll flash for a few days at most then be "fine" for a long while.

When light is flashing, noticeable harder shifting is happening. But when I press the O/D button (when light is flashing,) I can tell that it still turns on and off, but light stays flashing.

When I've had it scanned for codes, nothing came up for O/D issues...(But I think the couple times it's been scanned, the light was off...so that may make a difference?)

How do I resolve this issue?
And is it causing permanent damage?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do I need a code to fix it though?
Or is there something I could do that might fix it,
that would be relatively low in cost?

Someone else had mentioned to me, to just flush the system....???

So what would it mean if my light is off right now and is shifting fine?
And the light was on for a day and a half at most?
Why would it not Always be on? And Always be shifting hard?

If I remember correctly...It seems to turn on after going a long time at high speeds...(But not every time).

So is it something I should try to fix right now or should I wait till the light comes back on again? (Because if I take it in right now...I have a feelin' that no codes will pop up cause the light isn't on...)

When your OD light is flashing there is a problem with your trans...its sorta like a Check Engine Light for your transmission. What happens is the code tells the computer that there is a problem, which can mess up the way the trans shifts.

You should take it to a certified transmission shop, because they have the right hardware to read these codes.

If you don't get it fixed it could lead to a dead trans

Seeing as how it comes off and on at highway speeds I bet it has to do with a gear **** from 3-4 or 4-overdrive. If I knew more about transmissions and how they worked I would help you more

The problems could range from very small to very large...so be prepared to deal with that...sometimes its just low ATF

Sorry to bump a old one,,, but this is what my 1997 explorer 5r55e trans is doing,, even took it to trans shop thay put there scanner on it no codes but the light was not flashing then,, on the way home it started flashing on me ,, next day worked fine for over 1hr then flashing

OD OFF Blinking whines from 1st to 2nd

Hi, new member, first post. 2004 Explorer 4x4 4.0. Engine light came on, was told the EGR was on it's way out. Truck started bogging down between first and second. had to take foot off gas to make it go into 2nd. changed EGR, still hasn't fixed shifting problem and now OD Off light is blinking. Garaqe has no idea, said probably transmission, which I am not convinced, but need ya'll's advise. thanks.

Back