Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system install and REVIEW!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system install and REVIEW!!!

Oversquare

Reaction score
City, State
Wine Country
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 AWD
2 weeks ago I installed a Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system. I bought it from Summit Racing for $235.69 (plus tax and shipping) part number FLO-17364.

I wanted an exhaust system that I could hear under accleration, but would not droan under highway speeds. I was looking to free up the restriction of the stock exhaust, but no loose any low-end torque.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118026

I installed the system in my sloped driveway, in the dark, with no jack or lift, by myself. Yes, it can be done, but I would recommend better conditions, or at least some help. The installation is less difficult than changing spark plugs. If you're comfortable with that, then you should be able to do this.

The system came very well packaged, and with good instructions.

First I began by disconnecting the exhaust connections between the stock muffler and the catalytic converters. I then tried to remove the system with no luck. I finally broke down and read the instructions, only to find out the first necessary step is to cut the stock exhaust just after the muffler. Damn...

I cut the stock exhaust about 4" from the muffler with a Sawzall. The rear section came out with a little wiggling, twisting, and pulling. The muffler came out after this was removed.

HINT: When unbolting the clamp on one of the pipes from cat to muffler, use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pry the tabs off of the inner pipe (see pics below). This will release the pipe easier, and make things better.

After removing the stock system, I laid them out to compare the two. The most drastic difference isn't the pipe size (which isn't much bigger than stock) but the lack of kinks at the bends. The Flowmaster system has very smooth bends (mandrel bent) and seems to fit well. The Flowmaster system does not have the resonator. Something that shocked me is the SIZE of the Flowmaster muffler. This thing is HUGE! Much bigger than other Flowmaster mufflers I've delt with - and as heavy as the stock muffler. (See Pics Below)

Laying on my back, i supported the new muffler with my knees and guided it into place. Not an easy task, but doable. Once the slip fit over one front pipe, and the bolts in place for the other side, it stayed up well.

HINT: Don't over-tighten the 2 flange bolts next to the slip fit connection. They will bend the round flange and create an exhaust leak.

HINT: Remove the stickers on the rear pipe section before you install them. Otherwise they'll smell and cook off. I used an old razor blade to peel them off.

The rear clamp/mount is difficult. After sliding the new rear exhaust pipe through the truck and into the muffler, I had to tighten the clamp to hold the muffler in place, as well as hold the new pipe in the slip fit connection. The trick here was to push the muffler as far forward as possible, and pull the clamp as far rearward as possible - bringing the clap as close to the fitting as possible. (See pic for description)

HINT: The "washers" on the rear clamp, they're not washers. I crushed them thinking they were washers, but upon further inspection of the instructions, they were designed to prevent the exhaust from slipping of the rubber post mounts. Don't make the same mistake I did.

All bolted up and ready to go, right? Cool.

PROBLEM! Almost immediately after my test drive around the block, i noticed the rear pipe had rotated in it's slip-fit conneciton, allowing the tip to rest against the fender. This caused the fender to melt against the tip and make a mess. After re-tightening, clamping, re-tightening, fidgeting, and some more re-tightening, I finally got the rear exhaust pipe to stay in place without rotating and resting against the fender. This was VERY frustrating, and I would strongly recommend having the rear section welded to the muffler to prevent this.

My initial impressions were not good - as I couldn't get the pipe situated. Also, i felt the exhaust tone was too quiet and didn't notice a signifigant improvement in power. The exhaust tip seems a bit large (3.5"), but it's grown on me since I've installed it. I still might change it to a smaller size (3") in the future.

After a few weeks of driving, I'm much happier with the system. The pipe fitting issue seems to be fixed. The exhaust tone has 'loosened up' and become a little more noticeable, and it exactally where I would want it. I've noticed a power gain between 2000 and 4000 RPM at part throttle and WOT. I haven't noticed ANY loss of torque (good!). Unfortunately, I haven't experienced much of an increase in MPG - maybe about 1/2 mpg.

Overall, I would give the system a 7 out of 10. It had a fair price, is well constructed (except for the pipe fitting issue), and complete with good instructions (which I suggest you read).

-Brad

PS - can someone host and post pics for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think the 4.0 has the issue with the torque loss with bigger diameter pipes. thanks for the review and install very helpful

Here are his pics....

Attachments

• ExhaustCompare.jpg
    ExhaustCompare.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8,265
  • ExhaustStock4.jpg
    ExhaustStock4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 7,499
  • Flow2.jpg
    Flow2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4,082

and a couple more....

Attachments

• FlowClamp2.jpg
    FlowClamp2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3,927
  • FlowTip.jpg
    FlowTip.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,893

#1 is the comparison picture. Notice the lack of resonator on the Flowmaster pipe, and also notice where I made the cut on the stock exhaust.

#2 is the pic of the stock slip fit. These are the tabs that need to be bent out of the way to allow the exhaust to slip out easily.

#3 Mmmm.... Flowmaster.... *drool* Yes, the muffler really is that big. And heavy.

#4 The clamp from the muffler to the catalitic converter. Don't overtighten the "far" pipe flange. That's the one that will bend if you tighten it too tight.

#5 The final exhaust tip. However, now the fender is melted just above it because of the problem with the exhaust tip touching the fender.

-B

Thanks for the write-up. How's it sound? I think this is what I'll be going for next summer.

Oversquare, Thanks for the writeup.

It may be the angle of the pic (#5) but that pipe looks like its resting on the spare!

Sound clips next!

Now I would like to know which is quieter: Flowmaster or Gibson...

One more pic.....

Attachments

• FlowClamp1.jpg
    FlowClamp1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 3,849

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The exhaust is NOT resting on the spare. It just looks that way in the pic.

The last pic is of the stubborn clamp that would not hold the rear pipe section in the slip fitting. This is the one that needed much tightening and fidgeting to get to work correctly. Notice how close the clamp is to the end of the muffler. The closer, the better.

-Brad

The sound of the exhaust is a mellow Flowmaster signature sound. It's noticeable, but not intrusive. It doesn't droan at freeway speeds and I don't have any resonance. This is supposed to be a "50 series Big Block muffler" that comes with the kit. It has a nice low tone that does sound like a big V8. No mistaking this 5.0 for the V6.

-Brad

Do you have any sound clips? I too am wanting some deep throaty exhaust after I heard a Durango in my neighborhood drive by with something custom.

it is definitely deep and sounds like the signature "flowmaster" sound. But it is NOT loud, and barely noticeable in the car with the windows rolled up. WOT sound is not very loud either, but does sound good.

Sorry, no sound clips.

-B

Oversquare said:
it is definitely deep and sounds like the signature "flowmaster" sound. But it is NOT loud, and barely noticeable in the car with the windows rolled up. WOT sound is not very loud either, but does sound good.

Sorry, no sound clips.

-B

With that in mind, I do beleive I have found my cat back! Now just to find the stinkin' money!

From your description it sounds like this is the exhaust for me. I don't want anything too loud (for obvious reasons) and also want something I can pass by a potential buyer if / when I sell the X.

I was speaking to a few friends at a party last night and they said I would be better off getting the exhaust welded on. One of my buddies actually said he deals with a guy in the Bronx who uses only flowmaster and is a master welder. Do you think I'm better off getting this welded or will the clamps do it? I'm pretty sure I can handle the install but it would be so much easier if I just paid to have it done if not too much $$$.

If I do get it on I'll post some sound clips.

I would strongly suggest having the rear slip-fit flange of the muffler to the exit pipe welded once you have it installed. The other connections are better off using the stock clamps and flanges.

-Brad

I stopped by a couple of shops and they both quoted me $75 to weld on the exhaust. Sound reasonable to have the whole thing installed since I don't weld and don't have a welder. I also found the exhaust online for $244 shipped no tax, no shipping charge so I think I'm gonna go for it.

I called flowmaster and they said this is the one to get for the 2000 - 2001 X 5.0. He also noted that this muffler is the quietest one that they make which is a good thing according to him.

For $50 more, Mieneke will install a welded dual exhaust catback.

Really? With what kind of mufflers? I had no idea they did custom work. Also, aren't there fitment issues with the spare tire?

I had another question. Does changing the cat-back have any effect on emissions? NY is REALLY tough to pass inspection so I don't want to run the risk of failing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oversquare ... your dog is awesome

Back