Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system install and REVIEW!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system install and REVIEW!!!

Yea, I noticed that too. Cool dog and looks like he is ready to help with the install!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol... My dog is my "sidekick". We do everything together.

His name is "Octane". The first day I had him I took him to Sears Point Raceway and he hung out in my helmet between events. The loud cars, heavy exhaust fumes, and crowds of ppl didn't phase him. So he goes with me to all my automotive events now. Unfortunately i can't find a helmet that will fit him, otherwise I'm sure he'd enjoy riding the the car when I'm racing.

-B

Dogs rule!

Hey, back to the exhaust. I was speaking to a member via e-mail and he was saying that dual exhaust is the way to go. My big concern is that with the Flowmaster setup you have it won't give me enough sound. My fear with the dual is that it will be too much. I'm no longer a kid and use my X to go to stuff like weddings and dinner so a big bad ass exhuaust would be too much.

However, I like the idea of more power if it isn't much louder than the Flowmaster cat back. Any opinions?

SPTA - if power is your thing, you're barking up the wrong tree (dog reference!). The Flowmaster cat-back, and all similar single-exhaust cat-backs are going to produce the same amount of HP/TQ gains (give or take a smidge). There are very minimal gains to be had switching to a true dual-exhaust, and that would be at the sacrafice of a flat torque curve, louder (too loud?) exhaust, and lots of custom fabrication expense.

The restriction in the exhaust would be the catalytic converters (all 4 of them) and especially the stock exhaust manifolds. Removing/replacing the 'cat's' might yield a few ponies, but at the expense of becoming a gross polluter (sp?). Replaing the exhaust manifolds with something like the FMS or TorqueMonsters headers should show some signifigant gains, but you might have fittment and installation and reliability issues.

But let's think about this realisticly... The X isn't a race car, and the engine isn't a high RPM, high HP motor. Do you need an exhaust that is designed to flow 2x the amount you'll ever have?

I like my Flowmaster exhaust because it was a simple install, and the tone is noticable withOUT being annoying or intrusive. It has just enough tone for my 'better-half' to notice it, but not be annoyed by it. Sure, I might have gained a couple of HP, but ANYTHING will flow better than the stock exahust. I bought it because I like it, and maybe it will pay for itself by increasing my MPG.

If you really would like to do dual exahust, you should also look into headers, replacing the catalytic converters, and possibly re-camming your engine to take advantage of the high-RPM horsepower available. The more (and faster) air flows through your engine, the more power you'll make. But at what point does it become unlivable for day-to-day use?

My 2 cents...

-B

Thanks for the advice. I tend to agree with you on this but I really wish I could hear both. Although your line about your 'better-half' I think hit the nail on the head. I don't want to get an exhaust too quiet that no one will notice, but not loud enough that people 10 miles away will notice either. The fact that your other 1/2 noticed it means to me that a trained ear (like mine or yours) would really appreciate the difference from stock.

Bottom line is I want to gain some extra "bass" from my tail pipe and it sounds like this option is the best bet. I'll stop by Meineke to see what they have to say but ultimately I'll probably get the flow master on line and have them do the install for $75.

Well I stopped by Meineke today and although I wasn't too impressed with the shop the guys were very helpful. As luck would have it they had a Mountineer pull in with a dual exhaust setup. It really had a nice sound to it as they let me start it up, but I would have no idea how it sounded on the highway.

They put it up on the lift for me and the guy had a 70 series flowmaster muffler with dual-in / dual-out. The pipes were run without much hassle but it was still a single muffler system. I would imagine that is the way the 17364 cat-back sounded since it uses the same series muffler.

I did have some questions though:

1) Is the dual-in / dual-out considered "poser" because there is only one muffler?
2) Would there be any difference in performance (more HP or less low end TQ because of the dual outs?
3) Would there be any difference in sound between a dual-in/single compared to a dual-in/dual-out?

The shop said they cannot do two mufflers because they had to be mounted on the side and they were too big. They also said that because the X has four cats it would really not get that loud with changes in the series muffler. It would cost me $350 to have the dual put on at this shop but they wanted $125 if I brought my own single.

I'm gonna call FlowMaster on Monday (day off - yea!) and see what their take is on it. I will admit I really liked the dual-rear exit of the truck I saw. On the down side all the pipes were rusted pretty bad which I guess is what I can expect if I live in NY and don't get stainless.

1) Yes. If you're running dual exhaust though one muffler, you're not gaining any flow. The restriction is the muffler, not the pipes. You could have any number of "in" and "out", but because it's just one muffler, it doesn't really matter.

2) No. Many would like to debate this, but because the muffler is the restriction the exit pipe #'s or size doesn't matter - so long as your exit pipe flows better than the muffler. A single 2.5" mandrel bent pipe will flow better than the muffler.

3) No. Internally the mufflers are the same, but with different case end-caps to allow for the different numbers and sizes of pipes. The cat-back kit includes a 2-in, 1-out design.

If you're really concerned with flow, i would recommend AGAINST flowmaster mufflers. They do NOT flow as well as similar mufflers that feature a straight-through design. I picked it because there it isn't too loud and doesn't droan on the highway. I'm happy to sacrafice the 1 or 2 HP for the comfort and class of a more civilized exhaust system.

I would strongly suggest that you install the kit yourself, and then take it to any muffler shop to have them weld the rear exhaust pipe to the muffler while it's on the truck. That should be much less expensive than having them install the entire kit.

-B

Hey I just installed a dual flowmaster 50 series muffler with 2 1/4" piping and it sounds great and theres a lot more power

Each pipe dumps behind the back wheel on both sides with chrome tips, looks sharp. I also installed a KKM type intake a week ago so it compliments it nicely. Tomarrow I will take some pics

Just have to comment on your Pug...We have 2 of them.

Slade

The saga continues:

I went to a real performance muffler shop today who specializes in both Flowmaster and Magnaflow mufflers. I told him that I was thinking about the dual exhaust but he simply said he would not do it because I would envitiably run into clearance issues. He did not say that it could not be done, just said that he would not do it because he doesn't feel it is quality work (unless I were to remove the spare tire).

Then I was speaking to him about Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow. He informed me that the Magnaflow was stainless and would last the life of the truck vs. the Flowmaster which would last 3 - 4 years. I was surprised to find out that I had stainless on there from the factory and I really don't want to get an exhaust that will rust out here in NY.

So, now I'm onto the Magnaflow and here's what he quoted me:

$385 - Custom Y-Pipe (dual to single), Magnaflow muffler, and 18" polished stainless tip. This setup would keep my existing tail pipe and resonator and use 2 1/4" pipe (as the factory)

or

$485 - Same as above but replacing the factory tail pipe and resonator with a custom pipe in 2 1/2".

This has gotten more expensive than I wanted but I don't want to have to do it again down the line so stainless seems like my best bet. The other part is that I'm not familiar with how Magnaflow sounds so I'll have to do some searching.

Thoughts?

Flowmaster also has stainless mufflers.

huskyfan23 said:
Flowmaster also has stainless mufflers.

He said that they suck. He seemed happy to install either so I don't think he was bias. Actually he said he would rather me install flowmaster because I would be back again in 3 years ;)

He could be using reverse psychology ;) I think he'd rather sell you the Magnaflow because of its ridiculously high price. Flowmasters are the best selling mufflers for a reason. Flowmaster mufflers made with 409 stainless steel have a lifetime warranty.

+1 on what husky said. Flowmaster is the number one selling muffler and I dont think it would be number one if it were junk.

I just ended up taking out my spare because
1) I have AAA
2) Most of my driving is highway driving and you wont catch me changing a tire on the side of a highway because too many people get killed here in florida. We have the highest insurance rates in the country

I have the 50 series flowmaster and love it. Not too loud but you can tell its there and doesnt get really loud at highway speeds, just a low low deep growl.

I paid 250$ for all piping mandrel bent and the muffler from a local shop. I knew the guy and he only charged me 50$ for labor but it still only would have been around 350$ if I didnt.

Afboy143 said:
2) Most of my driving is highway driving and you wont catch me changing a tire on the side of a highway because too many people get killed here in florida. We have the highest insurance rates in the country....QUOTE]

I've had to change flats before so I don't think I want to loose my spare.

Oh, I really don't think that FLA has the highest insurance rates - I though they were the lowest! NY is VERY high and NJ is astronimical.

Also, FLA doesn't have the road salt problem that we have here so that's a concern of mine. I would hate to take off a perfectly good exhaust for one that won't last as long. Seems like not a good idea.

Why would there be a lifetime warranty if it wasn't gonna last?

Afboy143 said:
2) Most of my driving is highway driving and you wont catch me changing a tire on the side of a highway because too many people get killed here in florida. We have the highest insurance rates in the country

If you don't have a spare, what is the AAA guy going to put on your vehicle????

Dont get a Magnaflow. I have duel magnaflows on my 68 firebird and it sounds awsome! Sooo..... I went down and had a custom cat back duel in single out magnaflow with 3" to the rear. Big mistake. HOLY CRAP THAT WAS LOUD. It kind of sounded like a boat. LOL. LOTS OF DRONE. I told the guy to leave the 3" and just toss my stock muff back in. He did and all is back to normal. Its a bit louder but sounds good. I will try a custom 70 series with 2 1/5" piping to see if is stays somewhat quiet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have dual chamber 2 flowmasters on my 01 Sport and my X sounds loud and deep tone to it. I paid like 490 bucks for them to get professionally installed. I like how they sound on my X a lot of people have been asking me if I got an 8 cylinder on my 6.

I just tell them I got a 4.0 sohc 6 cylinder and they are impressed of the sound. I dunno its up to you if you single flowmaster or dual like mine. I got dual and it sounds loud and deep some of my friends sit in the back of my X and they feel the rumble of my flows. But if you want it less noiser I think you should stick on getting the single cat back flowmaster.

I personally like dual chamber flowmasters cause it sounds louder and deeper in my opinon.

Here are some pics of my X and you can see my dual chamber 2 flowmasters
www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

Check it out and tell me what you think.

Back