Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system install and REVIEW!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system install and REVIEW!!!

Flowmaster vs Magnaflow = The Magnaflow is a better muffler. It will flow better and last longer. I've used 8 Flowmaster mufflers on street vehicles, and 6 Magnaflow mufflers (2 street, 4 race cars). I prefer the flowmaster for street because it doesn't droan/resonate at hwy speeds, and is a quiet street muffler. Of course, the Flowmaster singnature sound on V8's is great.

For all out performance, Magnaflow is the key. A single Magnaflow exhaust will keep a race RX-7 or Miata right around 92dB at WOT (no cats, all custom exhaust). This is very loud, much louder than a tasteful daily driver should be.

On the other hand, I did put a Magnaflow on my '96 X Sport with the 4.0 OHV. It was barely noticeable because of the 4 feet of catalytic converter on the truck.

-B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
At that price, I sure hope you get kissed first .

Bearing in mind that I live in NY what should I be paying? I could go to a shop in the Bronx but I can't speak for the quality of work they would do. This guy seems like a pro (and had a whole book of pictures of work he had done).

Around here you can get stuff done cheaper but you also get what you pay for.

Sams01XplrSprt said:
I have dual chamber 2 flowmasters on my 01 Sport and my X sounds loud and deep tone to it. I paid like 490 bucks for them to get professionally installed. I like how they sound on my X a lot of people have been asking me if I got an 8 cylinder on my 6.

I just tell them I got a 4.0 sohc 6 cylinder and they are impressed of the sound. I dunno its up to you if you single flowmaster or dual like mine. I got dual and it sounds loud and deep some of my friends sit in the back of my X and they feel the rumble of my flows. But if you want it less noiser I think you should stick on getting the single cat back flowmaster.

I personally like dual chamber flowmasters cause it sounds louder and deeper in my opinon.

Here are some pics of my X and you can see my dual chamber 2 flowmasters
www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

Check it out and tell me what you think.

Do you have any pictures of underneath? The guy at the shop said that there would be clearance issues with dual on my V8 and just would not do it. He was a bit arrogent but he seemed to have the customers to get away with it. I can get someone to rig something up but I want the work done right.

Oversquare said:
Flowmaster vs Magnaflow = The Magnaflow is a better muffler. It will flow better and last longer. I've used 8 Flowmaster mufflers on street vehicles, and 6 Magnaflow mufflers (2 street, 4 race cars). I prefer the flowmaster for street because it doesn't droan/resonate at hwy speeds, and is a quiet street muffler. Of course, the Flowmaster singnature sound on V8's is great.

For all out performance, Magnaflow is the key. A single Magnaflow exhaust will keep a race RX-7 or Miata right around 92dB at WOT (no cats, all custom exhaust). This is very loud, much louder than a tasteful daily driver should be.

On the other hand, I did put a Magnaflow on my '96 X Sport with the 4.0 OHV. It was barely noticeable because of the 4 feet of catalytic converter on the truck.

-B

I really like the way FlowMasters sound but I don't want to have to redo it in 4 years. It is very rainy / snowy / salty where I live and I fear that I will be throwing my money away.

spta: I could of sworn in drivers ed my teacher told me that FL has the highest rates. I drive a 99 explorer leather airbags the whole shabang and safety features and I pay close to 300$ a month and thats not even full coverage. The drivers here are horrible

v8 they tow it to my house or to the nearest shop.

Afboy143 said:
spta: I could of sworn in drivers ed my teacher told me that FL has the highest rates. I drive a 99 explorer leather airbags the whole shabang and safety features and I pay close to 300$ a month and thats not even full coverage. The drivers here are horrible.

$300 a month? Say what....

Last time I looked, I too live in Florida and for big coverage I pay less than $100 a month.

Florida bu no means has the highest insurance.

aldive said:
$300 a month? Say what....

Last time I looked, I too live in Florida and for big coverage I pay less than $100 a month.

Florida bu no means has the highest insurance.

Not to turn this into an insurance thread but it is very age / driver dependant. If you are under 25 you are gonna get boned not matter where you live.

Back to mufflers - has anyone here had a flowmaster in a northern state? If I could get four years out of it I think I would be happy. That way I could spend $250 + $75 ($325) for installation and be done (Aldive - do I need the courtesy of a reach-around with that pricing?) On the other hand, for an extra $60 I could have the stainless setup from Magnaflow but not be sure how it will sound.

I think no matter what I do I will keep the old exhaust in my shed - that way if it does rust out I can have it welded back on.

I just stopped by Flowmaster :). Their mufflers are "aluminized", and they recently came out with a Stainless Steel option for about $10 more. "aluminized" pipes/mufflers do still rust, but not as quickly as raw steel Watch for rust at fittings/welds - or anywhere else the light coating gets scratched/burned off.

-B

Would flowmasters still rust even if someone were to coat it with that high temp ceramic paint?

Premierexplorer said:
Would flowmasters still rust even if someone were to coat it with that high temp ceramic paint?

Funny you mention that but when I called Flowmaster yesterday he said I could paint it with some header paint. He said it would help a lot but they still do rust out from the inside. There is a ton of moisture that comes out of the tailpipe (I'm sure you've seen the water drip out).

Oversquare said:
I just stopped by Flowmaster :). Their mufflers are "aluminized", and they recently came out with a Stainless Steel option for about $10 more. "aluminized" pipes/mufflers do still rust, but not as quickly as raw steel Watch for rust at fittings/welds - or anywhere else the light coating gets scratched/burned off.

-B

Yes, the 3-4 years I was quoted was for the "Aluminized" one. I would like to get a stainless steel but I was told by Flowmaster that they don't make it in a dual-in / single-out model.

To be honest, both techs at Flowmaster were not that helpful. There were a lot of long pauses and "dead air" in the conversation. :thumbdwn:

However I really liked the Flowmaster sound. Say I just wanted to replace the muffler and tip - why would I want to get the whole #17364 kit?

You should get true duals. 2 mufflers. Which series are you looking at? Since you want dual I assume you want it loud. Super 40 and normal 40 are great mufflers.

Premierexplorer said:

I can't speak to flowmaster, but I used that ceramic paint on the stock muffler on my Durango when I bought it (new) and touched it up every year. It's five years old now and I just noticed it has a small leak where the pipe exits the muffler. Must have rusted from the inside, but I guess 5 years is pretty good with all the salt around here.

The kit bolts up easily and can be installed at home. It is easier to home install (rather than pay to have it installed) and fits correctly. Ask how much to install a muffler (and pay for it) and a chrome tip. I bet it's a good amount over $150.

Also, the piping in the kit is also aluminized. This lasts longer than the stock pipe, but is still prone to rust.

As for spray on paint, as long as it's high temp (think BBQ paint) then it will help the outside. But flowmasters are prone to rust on the inside the most (here in CA anyways).

-B

Oversquare said:
The kit bolts up easily and can be installed at home. It is easier to home install (rather than pay to have it installed) and fits correctly. Ask how much to install a muffler (and pay for it) and a chrome tip. I bet it's a good amount over $150.

Also, the piping in the kit is also aluminized. This lasts longer than the stock pipe, but is still prone to rust.

As for spray on paint, as long as it's high temp (think BBQ paint) then it will help the outside. But flowmasters are prone to rust on the inside the most (here in CA anyways).

-B

The guy at the shop said that the stock exhaust was stainless and would last the life of the X. It will still discolor (I think he mentioned it was 409 stainless or something) but will not rust in the true sence. Was he lying to me?

actually he was not. I am wrong. The stock X exhaust *IS* stainless, and he is correct. It will discolor, but not rust like regular steel tubing. Sorry about my mistake.

-B

No prob. Yesterday in NY we got over a foot of snow and the X was parked over night sitting in snow with the bottom touching it. Makes me think again about the stainless vs. non argument. I have never heard magnaflow on an X so I don't know how it sounds. Also there's the whole price thing.

It seems with the aluminized piping, welding it will strip away the aluminum stuff, or whatever they use and the pipe that is exposed will rust. That is what happned to my old one, and my dad's truck. I would say the aluminized will last a long time also, just don't weld it.

Funny you should mention that because the Mountineer that I saw on the lift with the dual Flowmaster install had most of the rust around the welds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never heard magnaflow on an X so I don't know how it sounds.

Just stick your head in a cannon. :eek:

I drove around the block, down the freeway, and right back to the Muffler shop. My head hurts even thinking about it.

Back