Flowmaster Resonance?

CougarX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT
I went to a exhaust shop today to get my Flowmaster 50 series installed (on my 5.0) and the guy behind the counter said that he did his 97 V8 and the resonance in the cab was so bad he had to take it off. Has anyone else had this problem? There is no resonater on a stock 98 like on previous models. Does anyone have a 98 or later V8 with a flowmaster 50 because I really want this muffler on but I do a lot of highway driving and I don't want to make the expy annoying to drive.

Also, the same guy said that I won't get my money's worth by replacing the stock tailpipe. It's going to be ~$30 just for the muffler install and it will be near $100 for a new tailpipe too. What do you all recommend I do? Will a little bit bigger tail pipe really help power much?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm about to put one on my X too so I wanted to subscribe to this forum to see what people had to say.

BTW, are you looking to put on a 50 or a 50 Delta? Does it make a difference in resonance?

Thanks,

a bigger tailpipe may or may not help power..... it all depends is the answer... i have a loud ass flow 40 and it does get annoying but i am used to it... i love it... i may even tone it done a bit later......there is a big inside resonance...but again it is all relative.... my friend drives an 8.5 second car and he deals with how loud it is..... i love going to domestic drags and nostalgia drags and listening to the nitro funny cars... those are loud as hell..... th 50 is louder than the 50 delta...not by much though... the 40 delta sounds like the 50

Delta 50s are supposed to have less interior noise. I am putting a regular 50 on. I already have it in my dorm room, and it would be on already if it wasn't for this. I bought a dual 2.25" in / 3" out to match up with my stock pipes.

The delta flow mufflers have slightly less aggressive tone then the non delta flow mufflers... same tone just quiter...hence making it less annoying while driving on long trips.

by the way, YetiX, do you like your Monroe shocks??? What did you have b4 and how has it changed??
Thanks

how worried are you about the noise? the longer and smaller the exit pipe the quieter it will be....

again, it depends on YOUR opinion... i havee a flowmaster 40 nondelta and my ears arent bleeding so i think it is fine... is it way loud?? yes.... but it is all a matter of opinio. i think you will be happy with the 50

No way in hell that I'd let them install just a single pipe. I bought 2 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers and had a local muffler shop run a pipe off each one exiting one on each side at the rear. It has a nice deep rumble but no resonance or drone since I still have the cats on. I have a pic link in my sig. At the bottom is some exhaust pics. check em out. Oh yeah, the mufflers were $65 ea out of a mustang catalog and the muffler shop charged $125 to run the pipes and install chrome tips. so, $255 isn't bad for a TRUE dual exhaust.

RTStork, thats a nice truck. Wish I could do that.

The muffler I bought is a dual in/single out. I bought it like that on purspose because there is no room on my 98 to run true duals. Because of the 16" spare and the air shocks (damn Eddie Bauer) I have no room at all to run true duals unless I get rid of the spare. So I'm just going to run a single out the stock location (or leave the stock tailpipe there depending on how this goes) and have them weld a chrome tip on it.

I really wish I could run duals but I need the spare because of all the highway driving and farm roads driving I do. Oh Well.

Oh, I didnt know you had the 16 in spare. My bad! Yours will sound just as good and still have that stock look so that's fine! Good Luck!

ChuckyD,

I love the Monroe's. They replaced the stock shocks which were shot. I replaced the shocks, put big sway bars on and lowered it all at the same time so I'm not sure how much difference is attributable tojust the shocks. There's a lot less nosedive when I brake hard and the bumps seem absorbed much better.

Anyone know how well the Borla cat-backs work? I can get one very cheaply so cost is not an issue.

yeti, borla is great.... they are just overly priced...but if you can get it cheap i would say definately get it......

COUGARX:

I just had my exhaust done 2.25" piping from cat-back, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. I had this drone coming from the the exhaust at a certain RPM, and it was just crappy having it there since it was highway rpms. Anyway, i decided to beautify the end, and bought myself a resonated tip. The drone went away.

Brad, I have what Flowmaster calls the SUV-50. It is not overly loud, but lets you know there is a V8 under the hood. My 98 had 3 or 4 resonators if I recall right, which got removed. Had the 50 custom installed, and they put on a stainless Dynomax tip. I think you will be more than happy with the exhaust, and will not need a resonated tip. There is that small range of the RPM band that it seems a little louder than the rest, but it is not bad, and you won't even think about it after a while.

Hi guys. i just wanted to add a little info to all the chit chat bout FlowMaster exhaust. I drive a 98 5.0L XLT and i recently slapped on a FlowMaster 50 series dual in single out. Aside from my stereo, it has probably been the best mod to my car. I dunno bout any horsepower gains or mileage gains, but damn does my car sound AGGRESSIVE. It's amazing.

It sounds the best as i take off from a stop both from a slow accceleration and flooring it. The loudest the exhaust will get is low in the RPM range, but at highway speeds, i still know theres a FlowMaster under my X.

Windows up really makes a big difference. I love driving with the windows down nowadays. I have to roll up the windows up when mom is in the car because she will kill me if she found out that i put MORE money into my car... she thinks im crazy. But there is very minimal "drone" if any with windows up. Windows down is how to impress passengers.

YetiX, lemme know when you get your muffler, i know of an awesome shop in the Kearny Mesa area where they throw in a sweet chrome tip.

All of you guys that are getting the Flowmaster dual in single out mufflers. Does that just bolt on? Or do you have to get some place to bend pipes to make it fit? And would i be able to use my stock tailpipe? Or would i have to get a place to bend one? I dont really want to spend alot of money doing this and i know that most muffler shops use some cheap ass pipes that rust out in a few years.

Brad, i got my resonated tip from Vibrant.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can use your stock tailpipe and the dual in bolts straight up to the newer explorers. All the muffler shop will do it cut off your old muffler, weld on a reducer to fit your tail pipe and weld on the muffler. Menike (which is usually high) quoted me $35 to install my muffler. That, plus $90 for the muffler it self is pretty cheap for a performance exhaust.

Back