• Register Today It's free!

Flywheel not turning the engine

Hubcap23

Reaction score
City, State
SEYMOUR INDIAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford explorer
I was driving my 96 explorer most of the day stopped and started just fine until I stopped for food on my way home and when I tried to start it back up the starter would engage but the flywheel doesn't turn the engine over I removed the starter and I can spin the flywheel very easily with my hand is there anything other than a broken crank it can be if where should I look

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd guess the flex plate broke around the crank bolts.

Which engine? I have an extra 5.0 and a 4.0 OHV from I think a 96 engine. If auto trans it's a flexplate, manuals use a flywheel.

Yep. Common problem on the 95-96. Surprised it lasted this long. Either the motor, or transmission, needs to come out to fix it.

I was driving my 96 explorer most of the day stopped and started just fine until I stopped for food on my way home and when I tried to start it back up the starter would engage but the flywheel doesn't turn the engine over I removed the starter and I can spin the flywheel very easily with my hand is there anything other than a broken crank it can be if where should I look
+1 for flex plate

your flex plate has broken at the hub around the bolts that hold it to the crank
It has likely been cracked for some time and now has finally let go
You will at least need a flex plate, I would drop the transmission to replace easier then puling the engine

Flex plate is my guess, also. I had a '93 that went thru two of them. First one was under warranty. Second one came out of my pocket.

Back