Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lamp Mod 2001 (1999-2001?) Explorer

After some exploration, I’ve figured out how to modify the foglamp circuit for a 2001 Explorer so that the foglamps stay on with the high beams. This mod is actually much easier, IMHO, than for the earlier models.

First, I located the relay box. It’s mounted to the same plate that holds the bottom of the airbox. I got into it, and here’s what I found:

1. There are sockets for a total of six relays, two large (the size of a conventional Bosch relay) and four smaller relays, in a 1 2 1 2 configuration. The six sockets were arranged like this, with socket 1 being toward the front of the vehicle:

2 3
5 6

On my Explorer, socket 1 was empty from the factory.

2. The small type relays in sockets 2 and 3 control the foglamps. Why two relays? One to turn on the foglamps when the parking lamps go on, the second to turn off the foglamps when the high beams come on.

3. By checking the wiring on the back of the relay sockets, I came to the conclusion that relay 2 as shown above turned off the foglamps. Why? It was wired so that power flowed when the relay was _NOT_ energized.

4. The small relays, Ford part number F57B-14B192-AA, SPST relays. There are 5 pins on the relay, laid out as follows:

| | |
| | |
2 4 1

Pins 3 and 5 are .25" wide; pins 1, 2, and 4 are smaller, about .187".

The corresponding sockets are not numbered at all that I can detect.

5. Relay 2 is wired so that power flows from pin 3 to pin 4 when the relay is not energized. Only when the relay is energized is the power cut off. Power goes from pin 4 of relay 2 to the control circuit side, pin 1, of relay 3. In other words, run a jumper from the furthest away wide socket to the center narrow socket of relay 2, and the foglamps don't go off when the high beams come on.

6. To make the foglamps stay on when the high beams come on, I removed relay 2 and ran a jumper wire from pin 3 to pin 4. Just as simple as that.

7. I made a jumper from 16 ga. wire with a male spade connector on each end. For the wide connector I used 3M from Wal-Mart. For the narrow connector I used Radio Shack #64-3134. I didn't measure, but the assembled length of the whole thing was about 2" to 2.25". Jumpered pin 3 to pin 4 and it works like a charm.

The whole procedure took about 20 minutes to actually do, but would have been 5 minutes or so shorter, less the following: When wrestling with the airbox, (a) It came loose suddenly, (b) My head banged into the hood, (c) The drop light fell, breaking the bulb, and (d) I had to find a new bulb for the drop light.

This worked on my 2001. I suspect it will work on any 1999 to 2001 Explorer where the foglamps already come on with the parking lights, and it may be useful for the 2002s and later.

BTW, the wiring to the fog lamps is badly undersized and the pins on the bulbs are badly undersized also. My bulbs are the, I think, 9145s, that have an H-1 bulb grafted onto an adapter. No way I'm going to go over wattage with this dinky wiring.

--
FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann mailto:edlmann@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this mod yesterday. It was really simple, only took a few minutes. Thanks.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just did the clipped pin deal on my 2000, works like a charm! took about 3 minutes:)

Thanks!!! to edlmann and aldive for putting all the real energy into figuring that all out .

BTW: just changed 1 dead PIAA superwhite headlamp bulb out for a Silverstar, bought a pair but will wait for the other PIAA to burnout...shouldn't be that long :mad: I've been through 2 full sets now in about 15000mi. I do run with them on all the time. They sure don't last like the old fashioned stuff. I look forward to seeing (no pun) how the Sylvania's work out.

Thanks again guys!

Just wanted to say thanks for the great help on this! The mod works great!

Will this same mod work on a 97? I noticed the relay box almost has the same ones, but in different positions.

Joe

Rodeo Joe said:
Will this same mod work on a 97? I noticed the relay box almost has the same ones, but in different positions.

Joe

No. However, try this thread:

Dead Link Removed

I guess I'm the one loser in here that this has not worked for. I drive a '00 2 door sohc. The number 2 relay was not even there in my distribution box. My fog lights work only with low beams and there isn't even a number 2 relay. I did everything that everyone in this thread has done and to no avail. I have even run a jumper to every possible hole configuration and got nothing. I followed the pictures and have read every post countless times and still no results. Does anyone have any idea what the deal is?

Congratulations to me! Now my fog lights don't work at all! Right after typing out my last post I went out to try again, only this time the fog lights are off all the time. Let this be a warning to all you out there who are thinking about doing this to yourselves - it may not be worth it. Now I'm going to have to have Ford fix whatever is wrong and this is going to end up an expensive job that got me nowhere. Fantastic.

Where were you looking for the relay. In the distribution box under the air cleaner?

Bill Kemp said:
Where were you looking for the relay. In the distribution box under the air cleaner?
Yes, I have the exact same setup as everyone else. My setup is identical to all the pictures in this thread except my #2 relay was not even there.

By the way, as for my fogs not working..... I blew a fuse. My bad. But the mod still has not yet worked for me.

I would have a helper turn on the fogs and then switch on the bright lights while I held on to the relays. Then I could tell which relay does what. The relay that clicks when the brights are turned on is the one you want to jump.

I have jumped every single small relay socket in the relay box. None of these help me. What I don't understand is how my fog lamps function properly even though there is nothing but an empty socket for number 2. It makes no sense that my relay box had no relay in socket number 2, yet my fog lights come on just fine with the low beams and not when the parking lights or high beams are on. The jumper, which I made with the EXACT parts as everyone else, does not do a thing for me. Could someone please shed some light on this for me? I would appreciate it SO much.

And yes, I have the right relay box. And yes, I have done everything to a T that everyone else in this thread has done. With the pictures and descriptions, any moron could follow the procedures listed.

Can you hear/feel the relays clicking when the lights are turned on/off?

Ok, now I have a big problem. Sory to ressurect this thread, but I did the mod, and cut off the same tab as Al, except now I have no fog lights at all! What on earth happened?

ok, first off, it has not been made clear in this thread yet that I am in idiot. Second, it has not been made clear that the relay you need to cut the tab off is relay #5. maybe I missed that, but I did #4 and had no fogs LOL. I switched to two fog relays around amd now ot works. Whew!

i would just like to chime in and say that my 2000 xlt 4.0 SOHC is set up just like scribsac's. i would really like to know how to mod my fogs so they are on with the highs. is it just me or are there a lot of little differences between the 99 and 2000?

ok i just looked at my 00 and my slot is empty, any suggestions, or should i just put a jumper on it.

I guess this will annoy some of you guys, but here in Australia the fog lights only come on if the high beam lights go on. There is no seperate swith or anything for them. id like to be able to turn them on and of with parking lights, but then id have to install switches... i think its too complicated lol... but anyone got any ideas?>

????????????????

jssong said:
is it possible to have the fog lights go on by themselves? without any parking lights or headlights on? how would i go about doing it?

bump

Back