Fog Light Lens' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Light Lens'

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I guess that's no...

Jim, I just swapped out my stock fogs for PIAA's, and it looked like the stock fogs are a one-piece unit. The lens doesn't look like it can be taken off.

Originally posted by RytM1
Jim, I just swapped out my stock fogs for PIAA's, and it looked like the stock fogs are a one-piece unit. The lens doesn't look like it can be taken off.

Did you just change the fog bulbs, or did you replace the housings? I am looking to get new fog light bulbs for my truck...

Diablo, I changed everything. I used the PIAA 1552's, and they fit perfectly in the stock location. I went with these because no one made a superwhite 899 bulb, and I like the looks of the PIAA superwhite's. Since then, someone has found a manufacturer of what they claim to be a "hyper-white" 899, but not sure what type of product they produce. The PIAA's are more expensive, but you are paying for the quality and performance. I wired them up to use my stock fog light switch to keep things looking simple. You probably have the 899 bulbs also, which leaves you pretty limited on what you can swap the bulbs out with.

do you know if any of the other 1500 series fit in the stock slot?

Jim, were you looking for something like this???? ;)

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Good ol' stained glass paint did it for me.... i live by that stuff. for more pics go to Bobsride.com

Originally posted by Diablo3305
do you know if any of the other 1500 series fit in the stock slot?

diablo, all 1500's have the same dimensions and will fit int he stock slot.

Good idea Bob. I see Bob has been doing his homework to make Bob's ride even more unique. LOL

Diablo, check out this thread in the Group Purchases forum Dead Link Removed . You can also check out PIAA's site http://www.PIAA.com for more ideas, but I don't believe there are too many. You can also check with mattadams, the Performance Lighting forum moderator, he is the lighting guru of the site (especially PIAA).

Oh well, Matt being at the top of his game, beat me to his reply. Dead Link Removed

hey jack...how hard was it to connect the 1500's to the factory wiring? did you get driving or fog? do they put out alot more light than the factory fogs? also, how did you mount them? thanks in advance.

Doug, the PIAA's plug into their own harness, so... I cut the PIAA wires (2) on the relay side of the plug. I then cut the connector off of the stock Ford harness, where it connects to the light. Then all you have to do is connect the two PIAA wires to the two wires from the Ford harness. it's actually easier than it sounds.

I bought the driving lights, because they were the only ones that came in clear, and I upgraded the bulbs to the superwhites. The 1552's are definitely an improvement over the stock fogs. It just took a little getting used to them because they are "pencil" beams.

Mounting them was a little tricky because the Ford brackets are designed the way they are, but I was able to use them along with the PIAA brackets. I will try and take some pics this weekend to give you a better idea. of the wiring, and brackets.

thanks, jack. that does sound relatively easy on the wiring side. i would love to see some pics of the install at the very least. dangit, i thought i was finally finished with this group purchase, now it looks as though i will have to buy another pair!

Sorry for the delay guys (camera software problems), but I finally have the pics for you. This is the PIAA bracket mounted to the stock Ford bracket
View

This is the finished project, I tried to illustrate my previous directions too. I left excess wire when I made my cuts, in case the idea didn't work like I thought, and would need to be wired back to normal. I just zip-tied it out of the way when I was done.
View

dang it, jack, now i'm gonna have to spend more money! i like the fact that i will still be able to use the factory button, though. maybe the wife won't even notice! thanks for posting the pics.

LOL....just tell her its a safety modification, it's money well spent. The only thing that might give it away is the beam pattern. With my stock fogs, I could hardly tell the difference between when they were on or off. With the 1552's, and recently, the addition of the 1450's, you could play a night game under those lights.
View

hey, jack...i ordered my 1552's from matt the other night. if you don't mind, i need to ask a question. did you basically just cut the factory wires off at the bulb and splice them into the piaa lamp wires? if so, does this mean you only used a couple inches of the piaa harness? you didn't have to run any additional grounds, did you? it seems to me that the factory wiring for the fact fogs would have plenty of power and an excellent ground to power the new aftermarket lights. i am just wondering, because after i put the 1552's on my truck, i was planning on using the piaa harness to mount an old set of pilot lights on my wifes 97 and i was hoping i would have enough of the piaa harness to do this.

Doug, you've got it. I just connected the two PIAA wires to the two factory light wires. I didn't need to find another ground. The pics above show quite a bit of extra wiring because I cut them in a way that if my idea hadn't worked, I had enough room to splice everything back to the way it was.

excellent, thanks jack. i can't wait to get these guys installed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jack, I like what you've done with the lights on your truck. Can you tell me more about the 1450's too? I haven't thought about putting lights in that spot.

Thanks, D

Back