• Register Today It's free!

Fog Light Trim Painted??

asimp

Reaction score
City, State
Bardstown, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Limited
Was curious if any of you have painted the fog light trim? My ride is silver and the trim draws to much attention.......I want to give it a good clean look......I don't like black trim anywhere on the vehicle, I plan on painting the mirrors the body color as well.....if any of you have pics of the fog light trim painted or your mirrors painted, please post them....thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could always photoshop a pic and see what it looks like. I personally would never paint them on my truck, because the paint wouldn't stay on there after a few hits from bugs and rocks. Then it'd just look like crap.

I think I'm gonna do it anyway and see how it turns out.....if it doesn't turn out, I'll just buy replacement pieces. I have painted the black trim on several of my BMW's and have never had a problem out of them, so hopefully I will have the same luck with this

I Painted my inserts silver around the light and and the vehicle color on the recessed part and I love it versus the plain black, if you want it to stick good just make sure you sand it with brillo pad and use plastic adhesion primer and top it off with clearcoat, Would like to show you a picture but can't figure out how to insert pic,

Go to photobucket.com and set up a free account.

^^^ what he said

asimp,
At first I thought a MAC truck had got lose in here and was coming right at me, but then I was able to scroll over and see a nicely painted fog light surround. Can't mistake an Explorer foglight can we? I think it looks pretty darn nice painted up that way. I know what you mean about black trim...sometimes is ok with me, but after owning a 99 Explorer XLS model with black trim all around it...I much prefer painted trim now!
Nice job!
Ken

I like the black headlights! I'm thinking about them myself. What color (color code) is your X?

I'm still on the fence if I like the painted fog trim or not.
I wonder how easy (aka hard) it would be to paint just the inner-grille part of them.
I know it would be easier to leave that part black and paint the trim part.... hrrmmm

I don't remember the code #'s, but the name of the color is silver birch

I think my x is the same color. I'm now gonna go and paint mine. The color is going to be a surprise!

Bottomlesspit said:
asimp,
At first I thought a MAC truck had got lose in here and was coming right at me, but then I was able to scroll over and see a nicely painted fog light surround. Can't mistake an Explorer foglight can we? I think it looks pretty darn nice painted up that way. I know what you mean about black trim...sometimes is ok with me, but after owning a 99 Explorer XLS model with black trim all around it...I much prefer painted trim now!
Nice job!
Ken

Thanks for the compliment

In case you guys were wondering, I ordered my paint from paintscratch.com. This company is great. I have never had any issues with the company and the paint has always matched up perfectly.

asimp said:
In case you guys were wondering, I ordered my paint from paintscratch.com. This company is great. I have never had any issues with the company and the paint has always matched up perfectly.

Cool... I was just about to ask that. I know Duplicolor doesn't have the same spray color.

Mine is Silver Birch Metallic Clearcoat (code JP) as well.

I'll order some from there now...

I think the paint is a little more expensive there, but well worth the money. You supply the paint code and the vin #, and they will match it up perfectly. I have used them several times in the past and it usually took about a week and a half to get my order.....but well worth the wait. Their paint matches better than any company I have tried before. Even my local dealers touch up paint didn't match as good as theirs!

Looks great, but I'd prefer matching billet

ktford said:
Looks great, but I'd prefer matching billet

I totally agree. I wish someone made it.

Here is a sweet photoshop someone did for me:

TraysonFog.jpg

WHY doesn't someone make these?????????????

I might be able to make one out of a regular bumper billet. If someone is willing to try and has a bumper billet laying around and would like to donate it for experimentation, let me know!

Back