Fog Lights blink with Turn Signals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Lights blink with Turn Signals

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tap it into the blinker socket. But If I ever saw you driving I would think your truck has some serious electrical issues.

I'd agree.. but its worth a try to see what it looks like. I understand I can go with that method but heres how I wanted it.

Lets say my fogs are on. When my turn signal blinks, the fog light turns off. So its like the opposite.. I figured a relay but I do not know how to wire it if I would turn off my fogs when my blinker goes on... help please lol.

The only way I could see that being done is a couple of relays and almost rewiring the whole foglight and blinker harnesses. Unless I'm missing something and all you would need is 2 5-wire switching relays, but then... i don't know I don't feel like thinking and it's late (for me at least :p)

You're asking for a ticket with this one.

I figured it out, for anyone who is interested. Use a standard 5-lead Bosch-style automotive SPDT relay.

85 ground
86 is the turn signal wire
30 is 12V from the battery
87a is positive fog wire

I think that would work to turn off the fog light when the blinker is on, or to dim the brightness maybe just put a resistor? I don't know if that would be safe.

edit: oops I believe it would be 87 not 87a, not sure haven't test it yet.

Any updates on this?

Don't even ask me how it happened BUT I installed the fog lights on the 2017 FPIU and then followed everything in FORScan for foglights and that is exactly what is happening right now. Not bad for not even trying really! However, I will go back into FORScan and see what I screwed up!

I figured it out, for anyone who is interested. Use a standard 5-lead Bosch-style automotive SPDT relay.

85 ground
86 is the turn signal wire
30 is 12V from the battery
87a is positive fog wire

I think that would work to turn off the fog light when the blinker is on, or to dim the brightness maybe just put a resistor? I don't know if that would be safe.

edit: oops I believe it would be 87 not 87a, not sure haven't test it yet.
Years ago when I tried to get my fog lights to flash with the turn signal I tried multiple methods, including the above wiring setup, and can say without a doubt that this will not work as intended. Wiring the relay trigger 85 to turn signal and 86 to ground (or vice versa) and 30 to battery+ (with fuse of course) and 87 to fog will make the fog light flash when the turn signal is blinking but the rest of the time the fogs will always be off. Keeping all the other connections the same and wiring 87a to fog, the fogs will always be on day or night 24/7 whether your car is running or not LOL.

Back