How to: - Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
This procedure diagnoses a No Start engine problem. The procedure is based on information from the Ford Service Manual and my personal experience. The numbered steps should be performed in the order listed.

1. Does "THEFT" blink rapidly with ignition key in Off, On or Start?
Yes: Verify key validity
Check Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)
No: Go to next numbered step

2. Check fuel tank gauge reading. If fuel possibly contains water or condensation from cold add treatment to the tank.

3. Turn ignition key from Off to On. Does fuel pump run for a few seconds?
Yes: Go to next numbered step
No: Perform Fuel Pump Electrical Procedure

4. Does "CHECK ENGINE" illuminate?
No: Perform the PCM Power Procedure

5. Turn ignition key to Start
Does starter motor crank engine?
No: Perform Starter No crank procedure

6. Does "CHECK ENGINE" illuminate while engine cranks?
Yes: Check crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
One way to check the CKP sensor is to determine if the fuel pump runs when the starter is cranking. This can be done simply by listening to the pump.
No: Go to next numbered step

7. Check battery voltage

8. Perform TPS Test Procedure

9. Check ignition coils, plugs and wires. Some members have experienced ignition faults with Bosch platinum plugs.

10. Perform Fuel pressure test procedure

11. Check fuel injectors

12. Check compression

13. Check EGR system

14. Check engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor if not a cold start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does this apply for 1997 ford explorer sport

1996 and 1997 similar

does this apply for 1997 ford explorer sport

The basic procedure applies to your 1997. There were significant wiring changes made in 1998. Some of the linked procedures may contain minor electrical differences from your 1997. I identified some of the 1996 differences that should apply to your 1997.

I am overwhelmed!

Thank you for this proceedure.

Thank you!

I want to thank you for taking the time to create this procedure. It is EXCELLENT.

Without it, I would have been screwed.

Thanks for taking the time to make this thread. It's now a sticky on the top of this section. A lot of people have a no start condition at least one time if not more during the period that they own their vehicle.

would this apply to 2002 explorer

i think i found the problem i think we have a blown head gasket ,fouled plugs ty for all the help, i got it pretty cheap so dont mind fixing or motor change

I have a 2000 explorer xlt 4.0 v6 OHV that is having a rough start, high idle, decreased performance and has check engine light on with codes P0101 and P0174. It wont turn over until cranking it 3 or 4 times and sometimes (more often than not) I have to feather the gas pedal to get it to turn over. Getting to the point, in this checklist my car's theft light blinks repeatedly while on and while starting AND the check engine stays illuminated while the engine cranks. My question is can the problem be with the PATS and the crankshaft position sensor or is it only one or the other? This weekend I am replacing the air filter, spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, checking the MAF, possibly replacing the crankshaft sensor and checking out the PATS. Thank you all for the help and will post what the aftermath is on sunday.

clean the MAF sensor

I have a 2000 explorer xlt 4.0 v6 OHV that is having a rough start, high idle, decreased performance and has check engine light on with codes P0101 and P0174. It wont turn over until cranking it 3 or 4 times and sometimes (more often than not) I have to feather the gas pedal to get it to turn over. Getting to the point, in this checklist my car's theft light blinks repeatedly while on and while starting AND the check engine stays illuminated while the engine cranks. My question is can the problem be with the PATS and the crankshaft position sensor or is it only one or the other? This weekend I am replacing the air filter, spark plugs/wires, fuel filter, checking the MAF, possibly replacing the crankshaft sensor and checking out the PATS. Thank you all for the help and will post what the aftermath is on sunday.

P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

I suggest that you check the main intake hose and air filter to make sure it is not blocked and there are no loose connections allowing air to the throttle body that bypasses the MAF sensor. Also, clean the MAF sensor element with MAF sensor cleaner and check the electrical connection. Also, check to wires to the MAF sensor for breaks or possible shorts. Focus on correcting P0101 before worrying about P0174.

On my 2000 PATS disables the fuel injectors via the PCM. Try your other ignition key to see if you have the same results. A PATS problem is displayed by the PCM via a rapid blink vs a standard blink rate.

Try cleaning the electrical contacts on the crankshaft position sensor by disconnecting and reconnecting the connector a couple times.

I must have been mistaken on my last post because my theft light is fine it does not blink repeatedly, so I think my PATS is ok. Alright so I checked the main intake hose and replaced the air filter (was a little dirty, not too bad though), removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it again and the wires seemed ok. I disconnected and reconnected the crankshaft position sensor a few times and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner. I then removed one spark plug and it looked pretty copperish in color and the tip right next to the gap looked like it had a scorch or burn mark on it. Unfortunately I am a mechanical novice and realized I cant change the spark plugs on the ex because I would have to take apart a bunch of stuff in the way I am unfamiliar with and lack of tools. I also disconnected the negative cable on the battery after cleaning the MAF sensor because I saw somewhere on this forum to do so to reset the PCM? Hope that wasnt the wrong thing to do. Finally I fired the car up and it started the first try but it was at EXTREMELY low idle/rpm and upon driving the car it felt like it was misfiring and hesitating intermittently. The check engine light is off now but once I brought the car to 55-65 mph it became sluggish, felt like it was shuddering and hiccuping and the check engine light started flashing repeatedly and went away only coming back when I brought the car back up to 60mph. Sorry for this long winded post, Im just hoping for some help on my next course of action. I'm gonna start with taking it in and having the spark plugs/wires replaced and maybe a fuel pressure or compression test done? Thanks again streetrod for your help.

Very nice summary. Thank you.

It would be nice if there was a link for the procedure to test the CKP. I found the test elsewhere, and basically was looking for 1 VAC at the sensor as the engine cranked. The one thing I'm not sure of is if I had to leave the connector in place and tap into the wire. With the harness off, I did not get voltage, and thus replaced my CKP (only because it was relatively inexpensive ~$15 at AutoZone). Sadly this did not solve my "no start" problem. I'm going to dig for about another day, and then it's going to the shop.

This is great, but I'm stuck. I have a '99 EXPL, V6 4.0SOHC crank, no start.

- Battery is good
- Tested spark at cylinders and coil pack, all good
- Just hooked up a fuel pressure gauge, turned on ignition/fuel pump, bled the pressure, repeated twice, attempted to start. Engine STARTED!
- Observed idling pressure and acceleration pressure, appr 60 during idle, 62-65 during acceleration
- Disconnected fuel pressure gauge, now no start again :(
- Hooked up the fuel pressure gauge again, initial ON pressure is the same as before (around 60), but now no start
- Tried releasing/building pressure several times, still no start

I'm confused, I just had it running! What changed?

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also do you get any feeling of a misfire while cranking?

Back