Clunk or binding noise, plus vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunk or binding noise, plus vibration

ExPlat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I bought this 2016 Platinum used from a private party with 6,000 miles on it, it is exceptionally clean - it now has 10,000 miles on it. From the start it had a vibration & shimmy when using the brakes. I suspected that the Seller drove the car pretty fast from some of the things he said but I figured it is under warranty.
After a month or so I took it to my local Ford Dealer and sure enough the rotors/pads were glazed so I had the rotors turned and new pads installed.
That fixed the main issue but there was still a small underlying vibration that didn't seem related to the brakes. The Service Writer didn't feel it, he said, so I went home.
Now, after 4,000 miles the vibration is pretty much constant but can be felt easily when slowing down, with or without the brakes engaged. It feels like a driveshaft or wheel bearing or something in the driveline.
About 4 days ago I was starting from a dead stop and I felt a clunk, I backed off the throttle and it clunked again, sounding like a bound up gear releasing. I slowly accelerated and the noise stopped. Yesterday it did it again, from a dead stop I heard a noise, let off the throttle a bit and then a louder pop/clunk, again like gears not meshing properly. Not a wheel bearing sound, a transmission or PTU gear sound, right thru the floorboards.

The vibration while driving is worse now as well. No leaks under the car that I can see.

It so happens I have an appointment for the 10k mile service on Thursday so I'll discuss this with the Service Writer. Meantime I'll try and see if this is re-creatable on demand.

Any ideas/TSB's or other data that I might mention to him that I can use to help my case?
TIA

Difficult to pin down but if you do a 'Search' you will find several threads on 'clunks' and 'vibration'.

Peter

Back