Ford vehicles will read you text messages while you drive. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford vehicles will read you text messages while you drive.

drober30

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Blanc, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited 302A

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Droid X sync to my Explorer so I guess it does not support it yet.

It's not for MFT, the update is for Gen 1 Sync (Mustang, Flex, Fusion, etc.).

Why would Ford want to update it's spiffy top-of-the-line infotainment system when it works just peachy! Nah, they just want to focus on updating last generation stuff first and leave MFT alone, which is fine the way it is. :mad:

we have that feature on our 12 straight from the factory.

It's not for MFT, the update is for Gen 1 Sync (Mustang, Flex, Fusion, etc.).

Why would Ford want to update it's spiffy top-of-the-line infotainment system when it works just peachy! Nah, they just want to focus on updating last generation stuff first and leave MFT alone, which is fine the way it is. :mad:

Correct, this update is for Gen 1 Sync (non-MFT).

Our ex reads out loud text messages while driving since day one with my wife's motorola razor phone, granted, it's an old phone, but it work's flawlessly with MFT!:D Never disconnects, always pairs up right away and the text messaging is great. If she is driving and gets a text message, the sync lady will read it out loud and then my wife can choose to reply to the text with standard text messages, all without taking hands off the steering wheel:thumbsup:

Here is an interesting article from today on CNN in regards to Ford releasing a sync update to allow text messaging to be read aloud.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/18/tech/innovation/ford-vehicles-read-texts-mashable/

It states that 2012 vehicles already have this so I'm guessing that it's still phone dependent. In other words, the iPhone does not support this, right?

drober30 -

You are correct. The iPhone does not support this and it's still a phone dependent feature. The article is referring to Gen 1 SYNC systems not MFT. There was an update released in July (that's the update they're referring to in the article), which is version 3.2.2 for 2011 and 2012 model year vehicles.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Rebecca

Well, it's nice to see Ford does not forget it's past customers and has released such a nice update for the gen1 users.

drober30 -

You are correct. The iPhone does not support this and it's still a phone dependent feature. The article is referring to Gen 1 SYNC systems not MFT. There was an update released in July (that's the update they're referring to in the article), which is version 3.2.2 for 2011 and 2012 model year vehicles.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Rebecca

Odd. My Gen1 SYNC did this back in 2008.

Windows Phone Mango

I have the HTC Arrive on Sprint - running Windows Phone Mango - and it not only reads the text messages, it lets you reply with free form texting - for example, someone says, "Don't forget to stop at the store." You can reply, "OK, what do I need to get?" - by saying it, then Mango looks up the text, says it back to you to make sure it got it right, then sends it.

All hands free - works perfectly with MFT - I believe all the Windows Phone 7.5 devices will work this way, regardless of carrier or brand - a big bonus point of Windows Phone vs. Android and a step ahead of iPhone.

I have the HTC Arrive on Sprint - running Windows Phone Mango - and it not only reads the text messages, it lets you reply with free form texting - for example, someone says, "Don't forget to stop at the store." You can reply, "OK, what do I need to get?" - by saying it, then Mango looks up the text, says it back to you to make sure it got it right, then sends it.

All hands free - works perfectly with MFT - I believe all the Windows Phone 7.5 devices will work this way, regardless of carrier or brand - a big bonus point of Windows Phone vs. Android and a step ahead of iPhone.

I thought Siri on the iPhone 4gs did that too?

I thought Siri on the iPhone 4gs did that too?

Yes - I've read that Siri does that with Bluetooth - but does it interact with the MFT text engine at the same time? The Windows Phone does the full bluetooth texting and also logs everything in the MFT at the same time, which I find nice - maybe it's fixed in IOS5, but I thought the iPhone was listed as not compatible with texting?

Not sure myself, don't own an iPhone.

I don't believe Siri interacts with the MFT text engine, but from the samples I have seen, MFT is not necessary for Siri to do the texting aspect, beyond the speakers required to hear it read them to you and the microphone necessary so you can reply. The issue with Siri as I understand it is that you have to press a button on the phone to activate Siri. After that, Siri does the rest.

Are you saying that your phone will link up with MFT such that you don't have to interact with the phone in any way (such as bringing up the speech-to-text app) to have it read text messages to you, a known feature of MFT on compatible phones, but then you can respond with a speech-to-text outgoing message. As I understand it, the basic text replying functionality of MFT is limited to a short list of canned responses, and that the feature cannot be used while at speeds over 5mph.

I am wondering, if I understand what you are saying correctly, if Microsoft put some special API's in windows automotive that only WM7 can access, such as this advanced texting feature. I am very curious now!

I am wondering, if I understand what you are saying correctly, if Microsoft put some special API's in windows automotive that only WM7 can access, such as this advanced texting feature. I am very curious now!

Works fine with my wife's Droid Global 2. Doesn't work with my Droid X.

I believe your need the Bluetooth "MAP" profile, for this to work.

Odd. My Gen1 SYNC did this back in 2008.

Yes, the software was there; however, the update the article is referring to has made texting for Gen 1 vehicles compatible with more phones.

Yes - I've read that Siri does that with Bluetooth - but does it interact with the MFT text engine at the same time? The Windows Phone does the full bluetooth texting and also logs everything in the MFT at the same time, which I find nice - maybe it's fixed in IOS5, but I thought the iPhone was listed as not compatible with texting?

Not sure myself, don't own an iPhone.

You're correct. The iPhone is not listed as supported with the texting feature on MFT. When you activate Siri on the phone, it makes your MFT system think you are making a phone call. You can then interact with Siri via the microphone and speakers in your vehicle. Texts will not be logged in MFT as it is only going through the iPhone.

I hope this helps clarify texting via Siri and MFT.

Rebecca

verizon too

Yep, my HTC Trophy on Verizon with Windows 7.5 works perfectly. Texting, hands free & audio streaming-

Back