found some bada$$ rims, but will these tires fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

found some bada$$ rims, but will these tires fit?

i had cobra r's (17x9) with 285 60 r17's on em, well, im getting rid of the cobra r's (i want rims where i dont have to use spacers, id rather get wheels with a different offset.) anyway, i found some cool rims (rage - model 148) but theyre 17x8, will these tires fit them? its gonna be real hard to find other rims that are 17x9. and just for the sake of mentioning, i havent even called this company yet to see if the backspacing is correct for use without spacers or not. i figure this forum was a better place to start. any help would be great.

thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 18x8 on my X with no spacers or problems.

yah, im not worried about the rims fitting on my truck, but i need to know if those tires will fit on the 17x8 rims. i mean, i had those tires on 9 inch wide wheels, now i wanna get 8 inch wide wheels - i hope they fit, but i dont wanna find out the hard way.

btw, your truck looks awesome, sideswipe.

thx for the compliment. I feel your pain on the wheel & tire thing, it took me well over a year before I decided on what I wanted, and made sure it would fit, etc. You can try calling a local wheel shop and find out if your tires would fit, I'm not sure.

*UPDATE*

I called my local tire shop and he said those tires should be OK on a 17x8 wheel. Hope this helps, or it anyone disagrees...HOLLA

awesome! thanks for calling, im at work right now and i cant call the wheel place. now i just gotta find out if the backspacing will be ok. i know that this place has the same wheels in 16x8 and they say the 16x8 will fit the explorer perfectly, so if the 17's dont fit, maybe ill go with the 16's (considering i just got another set of tires from ford for free - well, i got reimbursed), but it sure would be nice to get 17's with my 60 series pirelli scorpions and get the better handling. ill post a pic of these wheels later when the site i saw em at is back up.

by the way guys, ive had chrome rims before, and silver painted rims before, but never polished ones. whats the maintenance like on em? are they prone to rust and ill have to clean em everyday, or are they low maintenance?

Take my advice on this-

DO NOT GET POLISHED WHEELS. VERY HIGH MAINT. and look like **** after a while. I reccomend chrome, but silver is OK.

Also, get 17s. Dont go with 16s. Find a 17 inch wheel you like and use those tires. You wont be sorry man.

really sideswipe? i was thinking about getting 16" ar-117 with 32" tires American Racing wheels. they're polished, i hope they'll be fine for offroad. are you talking for street trucks?

If youre talking off road, the OK 16s will work, but I still would not reccomend polished wheels. I personally think the 17s give better handling than the 16s, plus you already have the 17 tires. Your call though.

dont get chrome IMHO after awhile it will chip off and the tries will leak air....do you know how hard it is to seal a chrome rim from leaking air? let me tell you it is very time consuming. and the only thing the tire shops do is use tire chalk to stop it from leaking..... i used to be a tire guy

well, i have new tires on my stock 16" rims and i have new 17" tires without rims (well, i wont in a week)too. im keeping the stock wheels and tires no matter what, but the 17" tires arent going anywhere either - i mean, theyll always be up for sale, but i have a feeling im gonna sit on em for a while, so i figure theyre just sitting there, why not look for 17" rims that dont need spacers and if i find some for a good price, ill keep the tires and put em on rims. we'll see what happens, for now im just poking around.

jas84, actually for offroad, i would go with 16's. theyre gonna get all f#$%&ed up, so dont waste your money on 17's. also, now that ive researched polished wheels a little more, im steering clear of em - too much trouble...why is everything high maintenance?! heh

jim, i had chrome rims on my 91 explorer for 3.5 years and never had a problem with chipping or dulling or anything like that. i washed my truck every week in the summer, and in the winter, like once a month or so. everything needs maintenance, but i dont wanna have to clean my rims every 20 minutes.

(in all probablility, ill end up not getting new rims, ill find a buyer for the tires, but why not explore all options for now.)

Back