Found the Explorer.... but its a Buy Back? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found the Explorer.... but its a Buy Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmitch86

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'19 Explorer Sport
Hey everyone.. we found the Explorer that's basically exactly what we're looking for but after talking to the dealership we've been informed it is a "Ford Buy Back" and has a "Branded Title". Neither of which I am familiar with at all. They stated it was bought back due to the customer complaining warning lights were tripping but after inspection and Ford putting 1000 miles on it they found nothing, and all lights are still off. The car only has 5000 miles on it, and they've said that all the factory warranties are still included with the vehicle.

Does anyone have any experience with Ford Buy Backs? They've provided a "resale disclosure" document showing they they bought it back, and are supposed to be providing a carfax later today. Just trying to figure out how concerned with this we need to be and if there is anything specific we need to be looking for or asking about.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clearly there was something that made the original owner take the steps to get Ford to buy the car back. It could be nothing, but if you buy it you are taking a risk that you’ll have to deal with some unknown underlying issue that could rear its head again. I doubt that Ford will buy the car back a second time... my gut reaction is to keep looking. Looking forward to hearing other’s perspectIves on this issue.

Welcome to the Forum Dustin. :wave:
Which vehicle did you settle on after rejecting the 2019 Sport? Also, if you are thinking of the ESP warranty, you're best not to get it from the dealer.
Check out this thread; Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members
The biggest concern with the 5th generation Explorer I believe is the internal water pump. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
As for the one you are thinking about, it is possible the 'issue' could still be there. I'm guessing that since Ford bought it back that the owner's dealer was unable to find or repair that issue on several occasions
Peter

CarFax really isn't worth that much. It only reports what dealers, body shops, or mechanics that are associated with them report.

But if you plan to go ahead with it ask for the oasis report on it. This will list what the dealers have done to it and reported to Ford

Thanks guys... this is another Sport MUCH lower mileage that what we looked at Sunday... The one Sunday just had to many dings and a couple pretty sever scratches which I couldn't justify on a 1 year old vehicle.

The sales man said the owner returned it because the warning lights kept coming on but after Ford inspected it, and another 1000 miles of test driving they have yet to see the lights come one. He also said that it was a buy back from California, which was "good" because of Californians buy back laws, their "impression" is the customer was just unhappy/unable to make the payment and used the states buy back laws to get out of the loan. The resale document does state the buyback reason as "Voluntary mediated customer satisfaction repurchase"

I just requested the OASIS report... so we'll see what else they have.

Well... was told " Unfortunately, with us being a smaller dealership we can't get access to one of those reports"

Is there another way to get the Oasis report?

I thought that all Ford dealerships had access to OASIS.

Peter

Nevermind haha.. just got a message back that he was able to get it and will be forwarding it along shortly.

If I'm reading it correctly, the BCM (body control module?) was replaced at 2639 miles. The carfax report does show it as a "Lemon" instead of just the aforementioned "Branded" title per the sales rep...

Hmm.. starting to think it may have been one of those "to good to be true" situations

Well if i put the VIN in on https://fordprotect.ford.com/ it gives me the options and quote to purchase an ESP through 2027 and/or my choice of miles. Would it provide the quote if it wasn't able to be purchased?
I don't know for sure but it looks like you can get the ESP then but I wouldn't get it through that site. I'd check the link I provided before and see what the cost would be through Joel. Likely much better cost. Member blwnsmoke can provide the contact details.

Peter

I don't know for sure but it looks like you can get the ESP then but I wouldn't get it through that site. I'd check the link I provided before and see what the cost would be through Joel. Likely much better cost. Member blwnsmoke can provide the contact details.

Peter

Thanks... I'll confirm with the dealership we can get the ESP.. and then reach out to Joel when ready. I did see you have up until the 3yr/36000 mile warranty was up to purchase the ESP which was nice.

Run away. You don't want that.
I would buy it if is its a good deal. They changed the PCM and the lights are out. You are getting the full warranty, maybe buy the ESP if it is available.

We've confirmed it is eligible for the ESP, add it would definitely be something we get. The dealership is a few hours from us, but it looks like we're going to be making a road trip tomorrow to check this thing out in person.

No way would I buy a Lemon Law buy back. Call your insurance and see if they will cover it. Its treated like a salvage vehicle by some insurance companies. Also how are you paying for it? If financed, you need to find out if anyone will finance that car.

That's what were working with now, our insurance (American Family) has no issues, they cover it just as they would a clear title. Financing apparently depends on the bank, our first choice won't cover Branded titles which I was pretty sure I mentioned to them already, but we just found that out this morning so now were back at the drawing board looking at all the options.

I had a 2000 taurus that became a buy back. Got a 2001 taurus that had the same issues (airbag). Ford finally got it fixed.... would never ever buy a buy back, been there done that

Thanks guys... we stumbled across another 19 sport, in the color we want last night. Closer, more miles, still not bad though and not a buy back. Headed to see it this afternoon. Just to much concern for me to have in a vehicle were paying so much for and expecting to keep for 10+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well... was told " Unfortunately, with us being a smaller dealership we can't get access to one of those reports"

Is there another way to get the Oasis report?

Disregard....didn't see the newer posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back